Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

PC ribbonfish report

The goal was to catch some ribbonfish to freeze for baits to be used later. Went out to port canaveral thursday night. Picked up 5 doz shrimp from sunrise and launched about 830pm. Fished the south side of the jetty and they were everywhere. We fished till about midnight and ended with 32. Water was really clear. Here is a pic of the cooler with them soaking in the salt brine.

Replies

• SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 721 Officer
    I would eat the Shrimp, and use a Jig tipped with Mullet on a small spinning rod. They are a blast, jumping and skipping, and pulling drag. I used to go to Jetty park at night just to catch them. I wish I knew King fish liked them, could have made a fortune selling them. They will eat a Rattle trap also. Used to get some monsters. Glad they don't bite people.
  • mike923mike923 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    I'll have to try that next time. They are pretty fun to catch. Always action. We had a lot of cutoffs too. Do you know it they hit wire? They didn't seem to be picky at all so i'm assuming they will but we didn't have any on the boat that night.
    Have not tryed any wire, was long ago. Worth a try.
  • BubbletrailBubbletrail Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Are they close enough to the pier at JP to catch them, or is a boat needed? Is the pier open at night I guess is the first question I should be asking.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    Nice report, if you get a smallish one, rig it and throw it out-snook love them too!
    we need more internet money
    Are they close enough to the pier at JP to catch them, or is a boat needed? Is the pier open at night I guess is the first question I should be asking.

We stayed just west of the pier. I'm not sure if its open at night or not. I can't imagine they wouldn't be at the pier too. It was only a few hundred yards from us and they seemed to be really thick along there.
    I used to get them from the rocks, before the pier was built. Have not been there in years.
    Just talked to a guy that works with me. He was out on the pier friday night and they caught some. So the pier is open at night and there are some there also.
  • LivinTheDreamPCLivinTheDreamPC Posts: 223 Deckhand
    Hey thanks for the report. By far the best kingfish bait out there. A weighted jig in the nose and 4 to 5 stingers!!!! If something hits a ribbonfish it is going in the box. That is why the tournament guys that fish the 250k in prizes tournaments pay 10 dollars a piece for them on tournament day. They are the best trolling bait out there for kingfish. Period.

That being said I will share a tip with you. If you are going out just targeting ribbonfish, try putting a 16 oz box of baking soda in a cooler with ice and adding sea water. Stir it up till the ice is nearly melted. This is super beneficial as the fish will die breathing in the baking soda mixture and this preserves a brilliant shining sheen on the skin as well as firming up the bait for packaging. Also having a slushy water mixture instead of ice banging around will keep your ribbons prettier and less scratched up.

Nice job.
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,199 Captain
    A silver rattle trap will catch them, no bait required.
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 695 Admin
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.