Do not re-fuel in West End!

BULL DOZERBULL DOZER Posts: 6 Greenhorn
Guys, I rarely post but this cost me some serious dollars and I wanted the rest of you to be aware. I just returned from the Bahamas and had a great time the first 2 days! Unfortunately, I had to re-fuel (diesel I thought) in West End for several more days of fishing then return trip to Fort Pierce. Approx. 10-12 miles into the re-fuel, I noticed my engines loosing power and finally reached the point of idle speed only. I changed Racor fuel filters and main online fuel filters but problem still continued. After a long crossing back at idle speed back to the states, I researched having my fuel tank pumped thinking it was bad fuel. Come to find out, it may not have been bad fuel but the WRONG FUEL!!! Apparently Old Bahama Bay (West End) has been selling "Jet-A" fuel as diesel fuel. After more research, the indication of lose of power has all the indications of Jet-A fuel not diesel. Apparently Jet-A fuel has a thicker viscosity (and less lubrication) and doesn't travel through your fuel system as efficiently as diesel thus causing the engines to work 2x as hard to pull the fuel through the system. This was validated as my vacuum gauges on my Racor fuel filters were running in the 20-30 range.

Bottom line is, don't buy diesel fuel in West End!!! Not only did this cost my 1/3 of my trip and unnecessary dollars spent, I will need to have a company drain/clean my fuel tank to prevent any future issues. If the Bahamians know this is not diesel but they are doing it anyway for whatever reasons, then shame on them!

Replies

• dzankdzank Posts: 250 Deckhand
    A new fuel dock was recently added at Blue Marlin Cove which shares the entrance channel to Bootle Bay. The fuel tank and dock is just inside the marina and canal basin. I haven't heard any reports about fuel quality to date but I know they are operational.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    BULL DOZER wrote: »
    Guys, I rarely post but this cost me some serious dollars and I wanted the rest of you to be aware. I just returned from the Bahamas and had a great time the first 2 days! Unfortunately, I had to re-fuel (diesel I thought) in West End for several more days of fishing then return trip to Fort Pierce. Approx. 10-12 miles into the re-fuel, I noticed my engines loosing power and finally reached the point of idle speed only. I changed Racor fuel filters and main online fuel filters but problem still continued. After a long crossing back at idle speed back to the states, I researched having my fuel tank pumped thinking it was bad fuel. Come to find out, it may not have been bad fuel but the WRONG FUEL!!! Apparently Old Bahama Bay (West End) has been selling "Jet-A" fuel as diesel fuel. After more research, the indication of lose of power has all the indications of Jet-A fuel not diesel. Apparently Jet-A fuel has a thicker viscosity (and less lubrication) and doesn't travel through your fuel system as efficiently as diesel thus causing the engines to work 2x as hard to pull the fuel through the system. This was validated as my vacuum gauges on my Racor fuel filters were running in the 20-30 range.

Bottom line is, don't buy diesel fuel in West End!!! Not only did this cost my 1/3 of my trip and unnecessary dollars spent, I will need to have a company drain/clean my fuel tank to prevent any future issues. If the Bahamians know this is not diesel but they are doing it anyway for whatever reasons, then shame on them!

Bulldozer,

First, I'm really sorry to hear about your problems with the fuel issue. It's not a comfortable feeling floundering in the Gulf Stream with lack of power.

I'm in West End probably 8 or 9 times a year and fuel up with gasoline.

A few questions come to mind.

You say that the fuel MAY HAVE BEEN the wrong fuel! Do you know for certain that it was something other than diesel?

Second, it's hard to believe that they were pumping JET A fuel instead of diesel since the cost to transport JET A to the dock would make it substantially higher than diesel.

Third, looking around Old Bahama Bay, the marina is LOADED with huge yachts and other vessels using diesel, so my question is this....... Wouldn't you think that if those yachts and vessels uplifted the wrong fuel that they would be screaming and on every forum known to protest Old Bahama Bay? Performing a internet search about the WRONG FUEL or JET A sold in lieu of Diesel in Old Bahama Bay comes up empty.

Understand, I don't have a dog in this fight however by you telling everyone on the forum to avoid Old Bahama Bay fuel on a "hunch" that they sold you bad fuel (without concrete evidence that you actually uplifted the bad fuel there) puts a lot of innocent people at risk of not putting food on their tables or earning a living. I have many friends (forum members) who uplift diesel at Old Bahama Bay on a regular basis and not one has come forward with fuel issues.

As someone who uses hundreds of thousands of gallons of JET A every year, I can tell you that if Old Bahama Bay was selling JET A instead of Diesel, they would be out of business already. This coupled with the fact that there has not been 1 complaint filed (other than you) by the hundreds of vessels that refuel with diesel in West End, I believe Old Bahama Bay deserves an apology due to your slanderous accusations.

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 873 Officer
    I agree 100% with Plane fish n.
    The OP should should delete the post here and on the Fl Sportsman site and apologize to the Old Bahama Bay staff immediately!
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 962 Officer
    Some years ago there was a fuel contamination (water in gas) issue at OBB. A member here pumped a bunch of water in to his tank when the OBB fuel filter failed, or something along those lines. He had issues as soon as he pulled away from the fuel dock. OBB staff realized it at the same time and were waving him back. OBB took care of him, and others impacted if there were any, as I remember it.

So while I believe there could be a fuel issue, OBB has a reputation to uphold and has some reported history of doing so. Add Eric's points about cost and no other reports, and I'm left thinking there is more to this situation.