Sanibel Snook

On 4th of July my wife and I went to Bowman's beach to mostly just enjoy a nice late morning afternoon in the sun. I always bring rods though, especially this time of year with the snook on the beach. We found a good spot on the beach and after a while saw several school of small threadfins getting pounded by small male snook. A few fish came completely airborne.

We worked around the school with small white lures and caught 15 and had 6-7 others throw the lures in our face right at the shore. It was an awesome time, especially great for the middle of the day. No big girls seen though, all little dudes. Biggest one we landed was low 20's range.

Next time I will be bringing the fly!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
Glorious in all of Your ways
The majesty the wonder and grace
In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
In Your holy light
That every eye will see Jesus our God
Great and mighty to be praised

Replies

• Seein'Tails93Seein'Tails93 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Was out there this past week... one day with the spinning set up using DOA terror eyez, with only one snook seen. Next day went back out there with the fly rod and saw a school of big mommas riding by. tip toed down the beach after them pitching perfect casts in front with no takers. Was using a pinfish pattern fly (all i had with me unfortunately). Fun to see them like that on the beach though!
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    At least you saw some big girls. I haven't seen any yet out there. All smaller fish. I took a buddy of mine out last week on Tuesday and we caught a few trout and 1 snook in the surf but no schools moving around at all that we could see. Strange how things change only a few days apart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 590 Officer
    I only see the bigger fish on the beach until about 9 AM and then again at night. I don't even bother trying mid day this time of year.
  • one fish two fishone fish two fish Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Captn
    What lures were you using, if you don't mind sharing?
  • go dartgo dart Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    Just back from N Captiva. Pretty much like noreast said but the morning Snook in the passes were bruisers. Really big girls. The late evening bite was lots of smaller ones but one every cast. The occasional Jack was fun too! I just threw SD-9 Shadowraps (from beach) and clobbered em all week. I did step up the hooks and rings on those baits.
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Captn
    What lures were you using, if you don't mind sharing?

No, not at all. I like small white bucktail jigs, small mirrodine mini's and 1/8oz white jigheads with white gulp swimming mullet on them. I have used yo-zuri crystal minnows before too and used to have great luck with them out there but no so much anymore. I will be giving those shadow raps that go dart mentioned a try too. I havnt used them before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • one fish two fishone fish two fish Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Thanks