7/8 Offshore Report. 100 miles out. Night.

Headed out 7/8 about 3:00 in the afternoon with the intention of finding Pulley/Christmas tree ridge.

The trip out was spectacular. Gulf was like glass after about 20 miles. Schools of Littly Tunny/bonita everywhere. Mostly in the 2 to 3 pound range. We saw sharks cruising on top, turtles everywhere, more flying fish than I have ever seen.

Chased down a few birds about 80 miles out and small Mahi where everywhere. If we would have went out in the morning I am sure we could have filled a cooler. The mahi where jetting through the water beside the boat and everywhere you looked. They were all over. We caught one on a top water red and black skirt. The other was on a planer approx 40 feet down.

We came upon a turtle that looked to have had a run in with a shark. It's front right flipper was bitten off very recently by the looks of it and it's back flipper was shredded....Here is a pretty cool video of it. https://youtu.be/ugEARUMYSIM

When we arrived at my numbers for pulley ridge I was dissapointed to find the bottom looking like a pancake. I did find a little something on the bottom but it was mostlike sea fans or schools of bait because we only got 1 lizard fish and not another bite. Trolled around out there looking for some bottom until 10:00 pm. Then the lightening was picking up we decided to come closer to land.

Ran back in to approx 60 miles offshore and drifted a few spots I know. Didn't even need to use the chum or anchor. The fish were there in numbers. Limited out in no time on Snapper ( not hard when there is only 2 people). We could have caught a 100x's our limit. So many red snapper!! :-)

Caught a grouper and a couple Miscellaneous snapper, shark, etc....We released a lot of fish and just had a general good time.

The highlight of the night though was the water. I have a couple of blue lights and the water was so still and clear last night it was like an aquarium. Schools of small squid, bait fish, dolphins, small sharks, all playing in the lights. It was mezmerizing.

On the way back in we were bombarded with flying fish. Had one hit me square in the mouth and my son got hit in the neck. We had 5 land on the boat.

If any one wants to share a real number for christmas tree or pulley ridge just so I can start searching in the general area, I would be forever in your debt...I hate to run that far out to try a random number I found on the internet and find there is noting in the area. I was hoping it was a big area I could find pretty easy......I was preparred for it though. Still had a blast....

wzTPy4C.jpg

BdmTvOl.jpg

vCAnji2.jpg

Y9NYAQm.jpg

iPdxFQ4.jpg

qBka8g3.jpg

wOEBscW.jpg

qfwGeRr.jpg

zPK8zYT.jpg

lhrPhoZ.jpg

Replies

• mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 337 Deckhand
    Bummer to hear about the false numbers. I've ran into that many of times. At this point I don't trust a number unless I marked it myself.

With that said If you search around the net I remember finding a very detailed research article, published by NOAA, that had high def side scan imagery on the southern end of pulley ridge. It had lat/long overlaid on the map and I'm sure you could use that to get you into the right area to start searching. I believe that cmore mapping is even using this data on their product they sell(https://www.cmormapping.com). I actually called to talk to the guy, and he mentioned they are going to go live with the pulley ridge zone soon but its only useable on simrad/raymarine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    Fantastic report, I was wondering how it was with flat waters...an aquarium...what a time...glad for you, and I would always eorry about summer storms.
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 556 Officer
    Nice job out there. It was BEAUTIFUL last night! We anchored up 80 miles out and limited on nice mangs with 3 really nice African pompano and 2 15 lb mutton mixed in, all on freelined jigheads. Current was so slow my 1/4 oz jighead would eventually get all the way to the bottom and rest.
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 175 Deckhand
    Bummer about the numbers but awesome looking trip
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 687 Officer
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community! You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica! Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,606 Moderator
    Very interesting report. Fishing is about the adventure, catching fish is a bonus. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
    Life is good in SW Florida
    larrywitt
  • AndrewFLAndrewFL Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    Nice job with the fish and teaching your son to clean plastic/balloons from the water :USA
  • KrackenKracken Posts: 72 Deckhand
    AndrewFL wrote: »
    Nice job with the fish and teaching your son to clean plastic/balloons from the water :USA

I hate those things. We pick baloons out of the gulf 7 out of 10 trips.
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    Kracken wrote: »
    I hate those things. We pick baloons out of the gulf 7 out of 10 trips.

I am totally against any new taxes, but I would support one for these stupid helium balloons to help with clean up costs...but I know many people are responsible...it just pisses me off like when I see trash fly out of truck beds all the time.
  • crossbonescrossbones Posts: 127 Deckhand
    that map you posted. way south of xmas. xmas is not about a tree. the old commercial guys used to go there for there xmas money from what i was told. thats where the name came from. not that being farther south is bad. there is plenty down there to search for and find. more variety as you get farther south.
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 266 Deckhand
    You were 50nm north of Pulley Ridge. Pulley Ridge-A N24.97166 W83.64250.
    Great pictures and great story!
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner
    Reel Stout Sportfishing
    Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing
    www.reelstout.com
    Tikitown!
    SW Florida Vacation Rental
    https://www.vrbo.com/721414
    nfairbank wrote: »
    You were 50nm north of Pulley Ridge. Pulley Ridge-A N24.97166 W83.64250.

According to all the charts I have seen and dozens of numbers it covers a pretty vast area.
    crossbones wrote: »
    that map you posted. way south of xmas. xmas is not about a tree. the old commercial guys used to go there for there xmas money from what i was told. thats where the name came from. not that being farther south is bad. there is plenty down there to search for and find. more variety as you get farther south.

oh, i thought I was looking for a tree :wink....Yea, I have hears that story and variations of it as well. Heard it called christmas ridge, Christmas Tree ridge, and heard people confuse the pulley and christmas.

I have a whole pile of mumbers. I'll try some others next time. Looks like a lot of them are close togethor so I'd imagine thats a good place to start next trip.

The trolling out there was great. Fish busting everywhere, birds pounding, and mahi darting through the water all around the boat.
  • dcheek2112dcheek2112 Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    Pulley Ridge is 50-70nm SSW of where you were. Lot of flat sand in the area you were. I'd be surprised if you were even much outside 200 feet.
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 266 Deckhand
    You were 42 NM south of Xmas Reef in about 250 FOW.
    According to all the charts I have seen and dozens of numbers it covers a pretty vast area.

The number I posted was the Northern tip, everything else is south.
    dcheek2112 wrote: »
    Pulley Ridge is 50-70nm SSW of where you were. Lot of flat sand in the area you were. I'd be surprised if you were even much outside 200 feet.

We were in 270 feet. I think the picture I took of the bottom machine was in 250'
  • crossbonescrossbones Posts: 127 Deckhand
    oh, i thought I was looking for a tree :wink....Yea, I have hears that story and variations of it as well. Heard it called christmas ridge, Christmas Tree ridge, and heard people confuse the pulley and christmas.

I have a whole pile of mumbers. I'll try some others next time. Looks like a lot of them are close togethor so I'd imagine thats a good place to start next trip.

The trolling out there was great. Fish busting everywhere, birds pounding, and mahi darting through the water all around the boat.

My apologize. I didn't mean to imply you were looking for a Xmas tree. I find it funny how the names get twisted around. I used to have a crew and we fished Xmas a lot. I only ever referred to it as Xmas but half the guys started calling it Xmas tree??? Anyway, if your looking for Xmas and haven't been there run 20 miles due west of the Roatan. You will not mistake it when you get there.it runs about 20 miles north to south and couple miles e/w. I've heard people describe pulley as anything starting in 220 feet 20 miles south of Xmas almost all the way out to 1000 feet. I believe the term has been bastardized by fisherman for so long it's more or less meaningless. There is a no anchor zone out there south of Xmas in about 250 feet where scientists are studying the Corals. That is the area the scientists call pulley
  • NaplesSnapperNaplesSnapper Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I've fished out on the Pulley Ridge 3 times. Each trip came with a different set of obstacles that we were able to overcome. My first realization with you difficulty in finding the actual ridge is that you are too far North. I'd suggest you guys trailer (if possible) to the Naples/Marco area and launch from there. A good area for you guys to start looking for bottom will be about 24' 44' 000, 83' 42' 000ish (about 130nm @ 238 degrees from Naples). Pushing out about another 20 miles from there at the same heading will put you in good deep drop territory. I've come to learn the best bite on the shallow side happens during the sunrise/sunset bites; during this time we catch the majority of our black, reds, scamps, and muttons.

Be sure to watch the loop current, if it pushes onto the ridge and deep drop areas don't bother making the trip. Buoyweather.com provides a good way to keep up with the location of the loop current. The pelagic species can be found in abundance near the drop-offs where you can catch wahoo, tuna, and mahi.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    33 World Cat TE --- 27 Edgewater CC
    I've fished out on the Pulley Ridge 3 times. Each trip came with a different set of obstacles that we were able to overcome. My first realization with you difficulty in finding the actual ridge is that you are too far North. I'd suggest you guys trailer (if possible) to the Naples/Marco area and launch from there. A good area for you guys to start looking for bottom will be about 24' 44' 000, 83' 42' 000ish (about 130nm @ 238 degrees from Naples). Pushing out about another 20 miles from there at the same heading will put you in good deep drop territory. I've come to learn the best bite on the shallow side happens during the sunrise/sunset bites; during this time we catch the majority of our black, reds, scamps, and muttons.

Be sure to watch the loop current, if it pushes onto the ridge and deep drop areas don't bother making the trip. Buoyweather.com provides a good way to keep up with the location of the loop current. The pelagic species can be found in abundance near the drop-offs where you can catch wahoo, tuna, and mahi.

Great info...thanks!

I read your post about the last trip there. What were you fishing with as far as bait and bottom set up?
  • NaplesSnapperNaplesSnapper Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    We fish the shallow side (220ish ft) just like you would fish for grouper in 100 feet of water. Knocker rigs, chicken rigs, fish finder rigs, or my personal favorite big bucktail jigs and flat fall jigs. We use about a 6 foot leader of anything from 50-80 with size 8 hooks. The leads we use range from 8oz to a pound depending on the current. The fish out there can be eating dead bait one day and only want live bait another so you have to make the trip with full wells.

On the deeper side we use about an 8ft leader of 100 pound with 2 or 3 hooks all rigged through 3 way swivels and about a foot and half of smaller leader pushing a size 8 circle hook away from the mainline. Weights in the deep water can range from 3 pounds all the way up to 5 or 6 pounds depending on how fast the drift and current are moving. Deep water lights are a must for this, you can buy them at bass pro or amazon. For bait we use squid the majority of the time or some times spice it up with a finger mullet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    33 World Cat TE --- 27 Edgewater CC
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 716 Officer
    NICE REPORT. WE RAN OUT TO XMAS A FEW WEEKS AGO AND THERE WAS ZERO CURRENT. SPOTS THAT NORMALLY PRODUCE HUGE FISH WAS A MEASLY PICK. WE CAME IN TO 140 FT TO ACTUALLY FIND SOME CURRENT
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral