Home General Paddle Craft

Tarpon, tarpon and more tarpon.

mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 278 Deckhand
I don't get to fish near as much as I'd like, just visiting the states a few times each year to see the kids and our 9 grand kids. This time back I sold my old PA12, bought a new one. Took it out for a shakedown trip on a Wednesday, caught some groupers and worked out the kinks. Thursday and Friday I hooked 8 tarpon - released 4 and 4 just gave me some jumps. I watch that Wicked Tuna show, enjoy it except for all needless cussing. Occasionally they call on the tuna gods. Being a missionary, I pray too when fishing but I take it seriously. I think it makes a difference. This was off the Anna Maria island beaches using thread fins for bait, sometimes live and sometimes cut. 65 lb braid connected to 50 lb fluro leader with an FG knot, 7/0 mustad circle hooks with loop knots. Took a lot of pedaling to find a school and then keep up with it. Hope you enjoy the video.

Replies

• Nick-RNick-R Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Awesome man! Thanks for sharing
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Great video. Thanks for posting!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 697 Admin
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community! You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica! Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.
  • Landshark LarryLandshark Larry Posts: 39 Deckhand
    I enjoyed the video. Again, thanks for posting.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,363 Captain
    That's some fun Tarpon action ! Congratulations, nice video. Was it a GoPro that overheated ? I have a problem with the GoPro 4 's overheating and shutting off when shooting in 4 K, The 3+ runs well in 1080p or lower res. Don't normally target Tarpon, but fought one for awhile last trip out of Pompano Beach on crappie jig attached to a sabiki rig. Papeye is quite the fisherman, Thanks.
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    That's some fun Tarpon action ! Congratulations, nice video. Was it a GoPro that overheated ? I have a problem with the GoPro 4 's overheating and shutting off when shooting in 4 K, The 3+ runs well in 1080p or lower res. Don't normally target Tarpon, but fought one for awhile last trip out of Pompano Beach on crappie jig attached to a sabiki rig. Papeye is quite the fisherman, Thanks.

Yep, it was fun, thanks. That wasn't all of it, I have more 2 days of fishing to get edited. The camera is a GoPro Hero 3 Black, with a backpack battery. I've had it overheat a few times but only when using it a lot on a sunny hot day. Opening the case to let cool down works but sometimes a little moisture gets in and then it fogs up. I soak it the water and put it in the shade for a little while, or change batteries and it is good to go again. I'm going to get Hero 5 soon because is waterproof without a case, so presumably no overheating.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,363 Captain
    mjrudd1 wrote: »
    The camera is a GoPro Hero 3 Black, with a backpack battery. I've had it overheat a few times but only when using it a lot on a sunny hot day. Opening the case to let cool down works but sometimes a little moisture gets in and then it fogs up. I soak it the water and put it in the shade for a little while, or change batteries and it is good to go again. I'm going to get Hero 5 soon because is waterproof without a case, so presumably no overheating.
    . I use 3+ blacks in 1080p loop for hours on Bruton "all day" battery packs and have yet to have an overheated. I am doing well if I get 30 min of 4K before it overheats on the go pro 4s. I use extension batteries on all my units as I fish offshore and never feel comfortable opening the camera on the water for a battery swap. Have yet to try a 5, but note they are not designed to accept extension batteries and have read of some users having overheating problems in 4K mode same as the 4's.
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    . I use 3+ blacks in 1080p loop for hours on Bruton "all day" battery packs and have yet to have an overheated. I am doing well if I get 30 min of 4K before it overheats on the go pro 4s. I use extension batteries on all my units as I fish offshore and never feel comfortable opening the camera on the water for a battery swap. Have yet to try a 5, but note they are not designed to accept extension batteries and have read of some users having overheating problems in 4K mode same as the 4's.

Wow, great camera info, thanks. I try to keep it simple by necessity. I had to stroke about 17 years ago and lose track of details sometimes. Never tried the loop because I'm afraid I'd overwrite or lose something I wanted to keep. And never heard of a Bruton all day pack. I looked it up but couldn't find the actual weight, just shipping weight. Do you know how much that battery weighs, and the dimensions? I use a head mount but that extra weight might be more uncomfortable. Thought about a chest mount (or post mount) but they don't follow the action like being on my head. I just had to get used to facing the action and not just move my eyes - that way I get everything the fish does. I know what I look and not so impressed with that, figure other folks want to see the fish more than me too.