I know nothing

About seven or eight years ago I bought a D40 thinking I was going to take up photography. Sometime between then and now I got derailed, and the camera is still setting on my desk, unused, collecting dust. Four years ago, I went to Alaskan on a cruise, but rather than take the D40, I opted for something smaller, a pocket size digital that seemed easy to set on auto, point and shoot.

I have a couple of trips coming up this fall and would like to take some photos. I'm thinking of taking the Nike, but will likely use the automatic setting. If it means anything the D40 is 6.1 mp and the pocket camera is 20 mp I think.
Is there any reason for me to take the D40 rather than the smaller, easier to carry, pocket camera?
Vote for the other candidate

Replies

• JWTJWT Posts: 372 Deckhand
    depends on what you want to capture. sounds like the P&S would get use more based on what you are saying :) - easier to carry also!
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 26,439 AG
    JWT wrote: »
    depends on what you want to capture. sounds like the P&S would get use more based on what you are saying :) - easier to carry also!

The pocket camera is a Canon Power Shot SX260 MS 12.1MP if that means anything. It's a dandy little camera.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,396 Captain
    I think the camera you use best/the most is what you should take.
    Chuckc wrote: »
    I think the camera you use best/the most is what you should take.

I am going to do a test this weekend, using each camera, with the setting on automatic.
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,432 Admiral
    I still take 95% of all my pictures on my phone. I miss the P&S (Had the same one you do) camera. I think we still have them, but the batteries may need to be replaced since they don't hold a charge. I think that's why I don't use them anymore. I love P&S for macros. I also loved it solo fishing because the phone is hard to set up on a timer and prop up, while the P&S worked better for that.

Do you have a zoom lens for the D40? That would be about the only reason I would bring that if I didn't care about field of focus and other crap you can do with a normal camera. Are you concerned with style and composition which the D40 will help with or just saving memories which the P&S will serve you better?

Captain Todd Approves

I do have a zoom lens for the D40. I'm going to Newport, R.I. for five days in September and I'm going to take the P&S for that trip.

In November, I'm taking a cruise through the Panama Canal and I'm going to take both for that. I can sit on the balcony and use the D40 and when we are off the ship, I will carry the smaller Power Shot.

As stated previously, I have no real experience in photography so all photos will be just for my memories.

This was taken with the pocket Canon in 2015 in Iceland and it's as good as can do. Composition sucks on every picture I take.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,031 AG
    Did you ever pick up that book Understanding Exposure? Get it off Amazon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,272 AG
    Flash wrote: »
    Did you ever pick up that book Understanding Exposure? Get it off Amazon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I got it for my wife and it really helped her and me understand taking pics. If you are going to shoot on auto don't buy a fancy camera.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes