Skip to main content
Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

New to bottom fishing without a guide or charter

I really want to be able to take my kids out and catch fish when we do this.... is there something anyone recommends? We are limited on how far we go, I have a 18.5 edge water dual console with a 150 yahama outboard. I believe we would be good out to 10 miles on calm days, I ordered a sd card for wrecks and reefs, a handheld vhf radio, I have a pretty good fish finder and a I pilot trolling motor I believe 70 pounds. My question is should I get a. Anchor to stay on the bottom, how should we rig the bait and what should I use as bait? I heard carolina rigging was pretty good.
Last time in pc we trolled and fished with a Bonita we caught from earlier with jig heads. It worked pretty good but the hooks were hard to take out on the many trigger fish we caught,

Any advise would be great as far as bait, rigging, anchor or i pilot will work?

Replies

• FlickerjimFlickerjim Posts: 475 Officer
    On a good flat day you should be able to get to some of our "near shore" reefs and structure. all the public numbers are out there for the picking. I would recommend getting there early. they tend to be fender to fender the longer the suns out.. LOL! Ipilot is the way to go for sure, unless the current is ripping you should be G2G with trolling motor. I use different bottom rigs for different bottom fishing. So with a live bait I use a egg sinker on top through the mainline, then 25-50lb flouro leader (5-6ft)to a 6/0-7/0 circle hook. For a true bottom rig I use a glorified chicken rig, which is the same fluoro leader with 2 or 3 circle knots that allow hooks to slip on and off through the hooks eye, with a bank sinker at the end attached to a good circle knot.

Bait: squid/cut Boston Mac/frozen cig minnow to chicken rig. Live bait, caught with sabiki (grunts,cigs,ruby lips,rock fish) or from the bait man on ch 80/69, a 20$ bill will fill up your live well with cigar minnows, and save you some time, that's your call though. oh.. by the way everything eats cig minnows..

So, once you get to a spot and are bottom fishing don't forget to throw out a live cig on a stinger(wire leader with a treble hook) and free line him, you'll hook up on a King.. and that's a lot of fun too!! Hey tight lines bud!! Hope this helps. I'm no pro. LOL!!:USA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2003 21' Palm Beach V6 Yamaha 150
    Tight Lines and Clear Water
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,210 Officer
    ^^^^^^Pretty much what Flickerjim said should get you started. A few variations depending on conditions & fish. Leader can be 60-80 lb and we use mono (personal preference). Amount of weight can vary depending on depth & current......we use up to 16-oz sometimes. Match hook size to bait size & use non-stainless circle hooks.

Also, stop by the local tackle shops (Half Hitch, BassPro, Howell Tackle & others), they are usually very helpful with tips, etc.

Good luck.

Livin' the Dream !
  • ThomasaThomasa Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Thank you both for your advise... if we get in to some fish I will definitely share.. thanks again and good luck on the water
    Thomasa wrote: »
    Thank you both for your advise... if we get in to some fish I will definitely share.. thanks again and good luck on the water

No Problem!! Looking forward to hearing all about it! Catchumm up!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SeaAnchorSeaAnchor Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info. I am coming over from Jacksonville Beach with a 22 Pathfinder next weekend. Sounds like the same kind of rigs we use, but there are no more Red Snapper over here according to the people in charge.

How is the Tarpon fishing around St Josephs Peninsula. Last time I was there I found schools of Greenies in the Bay near the Channel Markers. We will be staying near the boat ramp at St Josephs Peninsula State Park. Do the local captains monitor Ch8? Or should I stay on 80/69?
    crowder-1.gif
    SeaAnchor wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I am coming over from Jacksonville Beach with a 22 Pathfinder next weekend. Sounds like the same kind of rigs we use, but there are no more Red Snapper over here according to the people in charge.

How is the Tarpon fishing around St Josephs Peninsula. Last time I was there I found schools of Greenies in the Bay near the Channel Markers. We will be staying near the boat ramp at St Josephs Peninsula State Park. Do the local captains monitor Ch8? Or should I stay on 80/69?

Hey SeaAnchor, just moved from the Mayport area about 7 months ago, and you are so right about those near extinct Snappers!!
    Not to sure about the Tarpon around St. Joe, I'm sure if the bait is there, the predators will be there to eat. Oh and ch 80/69 are the bait mans channels. Hope you have a great time!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What do y'all suggest trolling with going spot to spot and how fast? We usually just troll with the dead cigar minute and a duster but you can't really go to quick with that set up. I wasn't sure if there was something someone recommends for the type of fish that are not too far off? Thanks again. I am getting everything set up so hopefully we can leave out Friday morning.
    Thomasa wrote: »
    What do y'all suggest trolling with going spot to spot and how fast? We usually just troll with the dead cigar minute and a duster but you can't really go to quick with that set up. I wasn't sure if there was something someone recommends for the type of fish that are not too far off? Thanks again. I am getting everything set up so hopefully we can leave out Friday morning.

IMO.. you can go a lot faster from spot to spot with lures... I like either a stretch25 or some kid of cedar plug on a wire leader (kings are thick over here).. If you are wanting to use a stinger rig for a veryslow troll a duster wouldn't hurt. I'm working till Thursday morning but will probably get on that am weather depending.. just troll and drift around for some kings.. I wanna make some King dip, never done it, so I'm gonna give it a shot!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SeaAnchorSeaAnchor Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Thanks Jim. Hoping to try the fabled ARS again, since its extinction on the East Coast, I had to marry a woman from Mississippi and tag along on her familys vacation to the Panhandle in search of them. Haha. Its bad over here...

We will be launching out of Eagle Harbor in St Josephs Peninsula State Park. If you see a black 2200 Pathfinder with a Ttop, give me a hollar. I always have a cold one for an old Mayport Neighbor.

Layton
    crowder-1.gif
    SeaAnchor wrote: »
    Thanks Jim. Hoping to try the fabled ARS again, since its extinction on the East Coast, I had to marry a woman from Mississippi and tag along on her familys vacation to the Panhandle in search of them. Haha. Its bad over here...

We will be launching out of Eagle Harbor in St Josephs Peninsula State Park. If you see a black 2200 Pathfinder with a Ttop, give me a hollar. I always have a cold one for an old Mayport Neighbor.

Layton

Heck Yeah man!! good to know!! I'm looking to head out of Destin Pass after I get off from work in the morning. Got family coming into town and wanted to get a couple hours in before the on slot of family commenced on Friday. Hoping the Kings are feisty tomorrow!! I wanna try my hand in some fish dip.. Hey good luck on the Snappper!! they are still out there!
    Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Smoked king fish dip is awesome! We usually use the kings for that and it does not last long in my house with 3 kids, wife and me :)
    We had a great time together (my 15 yr old son) didn't manage to load the boat as we hoped for. It a great learning experience... we could a few good eating fish that will be on the table tomorrow night :) couldn't figure out how to get away from all the bontias but they sure were fun to real in... Has anyone had bad experience with scuba/spear fishing people come up on y'all when y'all were fishing a wreck? We arrived to a tugboat, started hooking and catching fish and then 10min later a boat came up, anchored up and then went right under our boat... pretty sorry we believe, I do know we don't own a spot, never got upset when someone came up and fished out of a boat beside us but there should be some kind of respect to not stop at that spot... o well like I said we had a great father and son trip together and there will be plenty more in the future! :fishing
    I've heard of fishing boats pulling up and throwing fenders out, but not dive boats.. unless of course it was a charter, then all bets off .. those dudes do what they want. Yeah I feel ya on getting upset, I don't have time for all that BS.. Karma is always watching.. I'm glad you had a great day out! Mine was very short lived. Lower unit took a deuce on me.. hobbled in.. out till at least middle of next month. All good though, its fixable. Good talkin to ya Thomasa!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You to flicker! We will be back out there in the fall... good luck and I will check back in later on.:USA