Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Any luck catching reds with outgoing tide in CR

I've had some pretty good luck catching reds on an incoming tide and next week the only chance I have to get out is after noon on an outgoing tide. I'd like to focus on reds but wondering if I should just stick to looking for trout.

Replies

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,782 Captain
    It depends a lot on what part of the outgoing tide you are fishing and where. Try the outside edges as the outgoing bottoms out. When targeting redfish I try to fish the last three hours of incoming and first two hours of outgoing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rhymechizelrhymechizel Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Fantastic thanks. I haven't been out for a few weeks and I'm still learning the area.
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    Since before recorded history men have been trying to figure out when redfish will bite. The tide, the wind, the weather, the season, the bottom topography, the phases of the moon, the time of day, the inspection of entrails, etc. have all all contributed to theories, but the fact is, no matter what is predicted, it's impossible to catch fish when sitting at home in front of your computer. Fish when you can and let the fish figure out whether they'll bite or not. It has been my experience that sometimes the fishing is best when conditions are predicted to be the worst.
  • rhymechizelrhymechizel Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Vertigo wrote: »
    Since before recorded history men have been trying to figure out when redfish will bite. The tide, the wind, the weather, the season, the bottom topography, the phases of the moon, the time of day, the inspection of entrails, etc. have all all contributed to theories, but the fact is, no matter what is predicted, it's impossible to catch fish when sitting at home in front of your computer. Fish when you can and let the fish figure out whether they'll bite or not. It has been my experience that sometimes the fishing is best when conditions are predicted to be the worst.

Agreed
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,741 Captain
    Vertigo wrote: »

All that being said, and I "ain't" disagreeing with it, there are times reds bite more than other times. In the same place under the same conditions so knowing when that works best is valuable if you plan a trip.

I've been skunked under the best conditions and mopped up on worse conditions.

I'm not an expert, I do catch my share of reds as others do too, so I will say though that consistently I catch probably 80% of reds under the "right" condition. Course you have to fish where they are. :)

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."