Looking for advice

Three buddies and I are coming down to Boca Raton after ICAST (7/14-7/16) to fish with a friend. We're going to fish offshore for two days but being the fishing fanatics we are, we were thinking about hitting some canals and trying to catch some Peacock bass. None of us have ever caught one (don't have'em here in SC and we've never been to South America to fish) so we're looking to check that one off of the list. We're all bass fishermen so we'll be armed with artificials and spinning gear (I've heard the size averages around 2lbs so we're not breaking out the heavier baitcasting gear). I hear they prefer "reaction" (fast-moving) baits as opposed to slower moving soft plastics. Have any of you found this to be true and/or would you be willing to give some advice as to what lures you use? We won't be equipped to use live bait so while that may be preferred, it's simply not an option for us. We're simply looking to use up any available time, not spent offshore, beating the banks of canals trying to catch some peacocks. Any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Xpress H20B w/Yamaha 115SHO

In a future where every stranger poses a potential threat, knowing the predator mindset is the only safe haven.

Replies

• mik8881mik8881 Posts: 113 Deckhand
    Jacaranda Lakes in Sunrise.
  • archerarcher Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    mik8881 wrote: »
    Jacaranda Lakes in Sunrise.

Thanks mik8881. Pardon my geographic ignorance but I could only find info on Lakes of Jacaranda in western Florida (near Venice). Nothing near Boca, where we're staying. Plus, we'll be relegated to fishing from the bank since we won't have a boat with us.

In a future where every stranger poses a potential threat, knowing the predator mindset is the only safe haven.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Contact Stetson Law on the forum.

Mike and his wife Stacey are masters with catching Peacock Bass.

Good luck and have fun

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
    Will do! Thanks Plan Fish n!!!

• Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    archer wrote: »
    Will do! Thanks Plan Fish n!!!

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,281 Captain
    You're gonna go to Lake Ida, the park or look for access to canals surrounding it on google maps. Now is not particularly the best ever time to catch them with lures, it's a bit hot. But topwaters work well, there is too much weed in many of the areas you will be able to reach from shore to fish with crank baits and other subsurface baits.

True, they are not particularly fond of slow/soft plastics but can be caught on paddletails, etc. I prob would not use that as my go to.

By "not set up for live bait" I'm not sure why you can't rectify that. Just go buy shiners, some tiny hooks and a bubbler from the local tackle shop. This will nearly guarantee you fish.

Stetson does a lot of rapala trolling in the deeper sections which may not work great for you. Book a charter alternatively with capt. Pat of swamp to sea guide service. Will catch fish.
  • Stetson LawStetson Law Posts: 489 Deckhand
    brianb wrote: »
    You're gonna go to Lake Ida, the park or look for access to canals surrounding it on google maps. Now is not particularly the best ever time to catch them with lures, it's a bit hot. But topwaters work well, there is too much weed in many of the areas you will be able to reach from shore to fish with crank baits and other subsurface baits.

True, they are not particularly fond of slow/soft plastics but can be caught on paddletails, etc. I prob would not use that as my go to.

By "not set up for live bait" I'm not sure why you can't rectify that. Just go buy shiners, some tiny hooks and a bubbler from the local tackle shop. This will nearly guarantee you fish.

Stetson does a lot of rapala trolling in the deeper sections which may not work great for you. Book a charter alternatively with capt. Pat of swamp to sea guide service. Will catch fish.

We're driving in from ICAST, mainly to fish offshore Friday and Saturday with a friend that lives in Boca. We're going to chase some peacocks during any down time we might have. If we were coming down specifically for peacocks, and if the trip didn't start out as a business trip, we would pack differently as far as our gear goes. That's why we're not going to be set up for live bait. Besides, I'm a bass fisherman at heart and soaking bait isn't high on my list as far as favorite techniques. Lol!!! Thanks brianb!

PM sent.

Received and replied.

Thank you, sir!