Knife Rec needed!

Had a tough time cutting through some bones on the bigger grouper and snapper that we caught on the Capt Yuri trip.

I use a stiff Forschner fillet knife that I keep very sharp with a nice stone but I'm wondering if there is a type knife that will make this easier?

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 112 Deckhand
    You should use a blade that is thicker from the edge to the top swedge if you want more power to chop through bones a filet knife has too much flex in my opinion to power through bones. I don't make knives either :wink
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    Buddy loaned Me this Sunday, Ordered one today Thanks for reminding Me...Filets perfectly and cuts the bones..

Dexter-Russell
    Dexter-Russell S142-9SC-PCP 9" Utility Knife - Sani-Safe Series
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,110 AG
    Thanks ibud......... looked them up and it has a slightly serrated blade and I was wondering if that type of blade would work well on the bones. Is it nice for skinning and for the meat itself?

I did not think of it the other day when we spent 3 hours cleaning mostly grouper and snappers in the 8-15 lb range, but I should have also tried my thick, heavy, sharp meat clever that I use to cut bait fish.....
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,416 Captain
    Gee Gary, we should all have it so rough :wink
    congrats on what sounds like an amazing trip!:grin

Pura Vida!
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,191 Captain
    Gary, I have one of the serrated Dexters. They work great for carving through rib bones. Not so much on fileting or skinning, I switch to a Dexter filet knife for that. Someone gave me a 9 inch heavy blade non serrated Bubba Blade that does a pretty good job on thick rib bones, also.
    Gee Gary, we should all have it so rough :wink
    congrats on what sounds like an amazing trip!:grin

Yeah, not really 'complaining' but after a dozen or more bigger fish (with a lot more to go), "There's got to be a better way" popped into my head!

Thanks pd........ that's what I was sort of thinking about. My regular knife and then one to cut the bigger bones......

I've got two more Yuri Trips over the next 7 weeks (lucky me!) so I'd like to find a solution before the next trips since I'm always one of the guys at the table......

I want to get a nice glove too and I'm thinking about this one for my left hand.

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/lindy-fish-handling-glove-9360

I slice with my right hand so my left one is inside, moving the meat around and getting roughed up on cut bones, etc...

Getting to be an old **** I guess......
  • bambam78bambam78 Posts: 557 Officer
    http://youtu.be/gv1dTLGx4Gg

This YouTube video features a technique where you cut around the bones. You do not have to cut through them. Might be worth giving it a try next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bambam78 wrote: »
    This YouTube video features a technique where you cut around the bones. You do not have to cut through them. Might be worth giving it a try next time

Oh noooo! You trying to get me to LEARN something new? :hairraiser

That actually looks pretty slick........ thanks.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    A lot of guys seem fond of the Bubba Blade these days for bigger fish. Bass Pro has a knock off version if you don't like the $50 price tag on the genuine Bubba. I also know some people who use electric knives, but they don't seem to cut as clean.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,348 Admiral
    I keep a heavy serrated knife to cut through bones, then switch back to fillet, bones will dull filet quickly
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,191 Captain
    JIMinPB wrote: »
    A lot of guys seem fond of the Bubba Blade these days for bigger fish. Bass Pro has a knock off version if you don't like the $50 price tag on the genuine Bubba. I also know some people who use electric knives, but they don't seem to cut as clean.
    I like the one I got as a gift ok. It's a big, heavy 9" knife, does a good job chopping through rib bones and such. I've used a couple of their filet knives, also. Again, they're ok, but more hype and advertising than actually being any better than other knives. I like the Dexters better, and they don't cost $50.00 each.
    pottydoc wrote: »
    I like the one I got as a gift ok.

My New Zealand bro-in-law has a nice boat and fishes a lot down there for their 'Snapper'. He loves American redneck humor so I sent him a Bubba Blade! He loved the idea and uses it but it's not his 'go to' fillet knife. Last year I used it to clean some fish down in NZ and it was nothing special enough for me to replace my nice Forschner fillet knife.........

I think that I'm going to go with a Dexter serrated and on the bigger fish, I can then keep the entire rib cage and see if they grill up nice for some fun appetizers, or to fry them up.... Four more weeks to my next Capt Yuri trip.

Thanks guys!
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 251 Deckhand
    I have a few, but this is my travel set. I use the serrated on the left for a lot of bones and the others accordingly. My favorite is the white handled bubba, it has the same profile as the next to last one on the right, slices up the ribs very nicely. Sorry I don't have a pic with me of the blades. The large 9 inch one is the flex and the other a stiffie, it really does make a difference when going through bone...

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

Thanks Greg! Nice set!
  • bambam78bambam78 Posts: 557 Officer
    I like the one I got as a gift ok. It's a big, heavy 9" knife, does a good job chopping through rib bones and such. I've used a couple of their filet knives, also. Again, they're ok, but more hype and advertising than actually being any better than other knives. I like the Dexters better, and they don't cost $50.00 each.

In my opinion, Dexter kicks Bubba's butt all day long

• jayseasjayseas Posts: 812 Officer
    Gary, I have one of the serrated Dexters. They work great for carving through rib bones. Not so much on fileting or skinning, I switch to a Dexter filet knife for that. Someone gave me a 9 inch heavy blade non serrated Bubba Blade that does a pretty good job on thick rib bones, also.

Gary I have found that the Bubba blade heavy Breaker 9 inch knive works well to break thru that bone at the throat of muttons. Tough anatomy on those muttons.
    jayseas wrote: »
    Tough anatomy on those muttons.

Yeah, 'tough' is right!

"We caught so many BIG Muttons, Red Snappers and Grouper, that I need a bigger knife!" :rotflmao

And a Question for you serrated knife fans.......... How do you sharpen them?
  • OldSaltOldSalt Posts: 129 Officer
    Works for me!
  • HurricaneBKHurricaneBK Posts: 200 Deckhand
    OldSalt wrote: »
    Works for me!

:rotflmao

Reminds me of a time I was trying to filet a 60lb Cubera and got frustrated and broke out the sawzall to get through the tough parts. Those dexter serrated ones work great for most everything though, you'll be happy with it.
    BoatEasy
    The Boater-to-Boater Marketplace
    www.BoatEasy.net
    Find and Share Services, Expertise and Products with Boaters Near You
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 769 Officer
    bambam78 wrote: »

In my opinion, Dexter kicks Bubba's butt all day long

I have two Dexter's, one is a filet and the other is serrated. Love them and they do the trick.. Six months ago I broke the tip of the Dexter Filet knife which was a gift, no receipt. I sent a picture to Customer service and a week later I received a new Dexter. Great customer service.