Skip to main content
Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Sand Ball Chum

So I've watch all the shows about sand balling to chum up the fish, but I had a buddy tell me that a lot of guys use Oatmeal and sand instead of Chum? Sounds weird but nothing about fishing surprises me anymore.

Replies

• Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 1,031 Officer
    You're not understanding what your buddies are telling you. They'll mix oats in with their chum and sand. The oatmeal soaks up the juice from the chum. Chumming with sand and oatmeal alone.... you'll have a hard time catching dinner.
  • tlbuff26tlbuff26 Posts: 40 Deckhand
    Makes sense, when he told me, I was like your missing something here.
  • killintimekillintime Posts: 263 Deckhand
    Another cool thing to try that was shared by a smarter fisherman than I... If you have a cross-cutting paper shredder, sace all of your shreds and mix them into your chum. Works the same as oatmeal. There are some chum brands out there that are full of recycled newspaper already... You'll get way more use out of your menhaden oil or whatever you mix. - 2cents
  • bonebone Posts: 1,167 Officer
    There are varying conditions that support the use of oat mix, chum/sand balls, and other artificial dry chums. BUT one to two cases of chum blocks are always needed if you want to catch big snapper. A large mesh chum net is also a must. With good current a case of chum should last an hour to 90 minutes. Oats and such is used to augment this. Not replace it. Clear water slow current needs lots of oats. Murky fast water it is a waste of time and clean up. Chum alone will work. Sand balls are cool and all but rarely necessary for yellowtails or mangroves on the reef. Sand and fiberglass non skid don't mix well so I find it a waste. The key is and always is. Chum.
  • RJMurphy4142RJMurphy4142 Posts: 159 Deckhand
    I use two blocks of chum in a large mesh net and just toss a hand full of rolled horse oats into the chum slick. Is there a particular reason why people mix the oats with chum and/or chum/sand?
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    We mix oats, sand and some cut threadfins in a bucket. It supplements the chum I think..I know the tails always have oats in their bellies
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 664 Officer
    The oats will also create a milky cloud which helps to hide your hook and line. I like to add oats because they float and will help bring in Ballyhoo.

Sand balls help to bring up fish from the bottom faster as well as allowing you to drop a bait wrapped in the sand ball and target fish on the bottom.

Yellowtail slop is more for milking up the water and spicing up your chum slick. Commercial guys do this so they can cane pole them up right off the stern.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/