Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Idle Speed Zones

Fished Yankeetown this weekend and was blown away at the number of boats, even an airboat, that were hauling *** up n down the river in no wake zones. Didn't see a single FWC or sheriff all day either, do y'all give people the slow down motion with your hands or just let'em be? I'm sure a few weren't aware as one boat stopped to ask while we were fishing.

On a side note I've had people wave at me to slow down in Treasure Island, there's a very strange sign that's an idle speed on weekends, 25mph during the week with certain hours as well. After that happened (99.99% sure I was in the right) I called the local sheriffs office, got transferred 6x before someone could tell me I was right, had to give them the statute number off the sign....its the run coming into Blind Pass

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Contact FWC and request extra patrols
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,996 Captain
    Idiots will be idiots, let it slide.
    Unless they are doing something that is totally disruptive or dangerous to you.
    Then the single finger slow down may be necessary, but you just might have to be willing to back it up.
    Usually not worth it.( sometime though :cool)
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,419 AG
    Fished Yankeetown this weekend and was blown away at the number of boats, even an airboat, that were hauling *** up n down the river in no wake zones. Didn't see a single FWC or sheriff all day either, do y'all give people the slow down motion with your hands or just let'em be? I'm sure a few weren't aware as one boat stopped to ask while we were fishing.

On a side note I've had people wave at me to slow down in Treasure Island, there's a very strange sign that's an idle speed on weekends, 25mph during the week with certain hours as well. After that happened (99.99% sure I was in the right) I called the local sheriffs office, got transferred 6x before someone could tell me I was right, had to give them the statute number off the sign....its the run coming into Blind Pass
    Lot of locals don't really care about the cash cows.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    I obey the speed limits, but a lot of the manatee zones are more political than environmental. In fact, the places where I see manatees around Yankeetown are mostly places where there's no speed restriction.

If the speed restrictions on the river bother you, just launch at the Rt. 40 ramp. Be aware of the zone starting at about marker 37 going to about 33.
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 605 Officer
    It a good 50-60% of the boat that don't heed it. We sat fishing the last island a couple times and it was amazing how many. One guy did yell at another and caught up with him and told him to slow down. If they put a FWC boat down at the end so they could see the area but not be obvious, they would catch a mess of them. When I've seen them they are in clear view by the last island. Of course everyone that sees them slows down fast.
    I always wondered why it doesn't continue along the islands to the ramp. It would seem that it would help with erosion and knocking small boats that fish the island around. We got hit pretty hard in the john boat one day because of a large boat flying past. What sense does it make to ran back up to full speed right by the islands.
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    Interestingly, I've seen more sea cows around the ramp where there's no speed restriction than in areas with a restriction. Go figure.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,860 Captain
    1) they haven't a fn clue.
    2) they don't care
    3) Days Inn / Indian River has blatant abuse, without any patrols. :mad
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,536 Captain
    Many people have no idea about idle speed or what it means etc. They own a boat which automatically entitles them to operate the boat the way they want.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,646 AG
    I'm sure this weekend with the opening of scallop season you'll see most if not all the boaters out there practicing safe boating.

Wait, what? I just blacked out, what did I say?
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • pupsnuspupsnus Posts: 62 Deckhand
    DOCKSIDE wrote: »
    1) they haven't a fn clue.
    2) they don't care
    3) Days Inn / Indian River has blatant abuse, without any patrols. :mad

I have video, that I took about a year or so ago, of two FWC boats going slow speed throwing off quite a nice wake passing other people doing the same. Not sure why they were even in there.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,291 Moderator
    The idle zone in Yankeetown always seemed backwards to me. :huh
    Why slow in summer and not winter when the sea cows come inside ? May be more to do with boating safety than cows..?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    You know, I have tried to tell people to slow down several times and from now on, NO MORE..........every time I do it, I get called every name in the book, get the middle finger salute, and threats to meet me at the ramp..........of course that would not end well for the aggressor since bodily harm at that point had already been threatened, but that is all I will say about that. I agree with 4Ward, its just not worth it..........its not me that is going to cause an accident or worse, so in this day and age of everything that seems to go wrong for those of us that follow the rules and laws, its just better to put the blinkers on and say "Its not my problem" and move on.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,536 Captain
    I'm sure this weekend with the opening of scallop season you'll see most if not all the boaters out there practicing safe boating.

Wait, what? I just blacked out, what did I say?

😂
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,612 Captain
    FWC will be there now. Scallop season they bring in officers from other areas.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,419 AG
    Shell Island, 5am going crabbing and unless there is a campers boat tied up ain't no way I'm slowing down.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Otown SeafoxOtown Seafox Posts: 8 Deckhand
    I'm still amazed by the number of people that don't understand the difference between no wake zones and slow speed minimum wake zones...And by the people that run 40+ in the 25 mph zones..
  • integrity640integrity640 Posts: 21 Deckhand
    Last year for the Fourth of July they had an "undercover" bay boat in Crystal River clocking people in the channel pulling people over going 25+mph, but like
    Someone stated with scallop season starting they'll be everywhere.....if only I could fine a private launch till September out there lol

Regardless I'm not going to yell at someone about speeding through a no wake zone, if they don't want to pay attention to the signs then that just money forked over to the cash cow another person referenced. Personally I'd rather save that money on a ticket towards some new gear or a weekend trip somewhere