Anchor Ball ?

What size anchor ball is standard? This is just for getting off anchor and retrieving the anchor line, not for retrieving the anchor. I bought a 9 inch ball because it's what fits in my locker, but it seems small. In hindsight I guess it really doesn't need to go in the locker.

Replies

• FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 978 Officer
    What size anchor ball is standard? This is just for getting off anchor and retrieving the anchor line, not for retrieving the anchor. I bought a 9 inch ball because it's what fits in my locker, but it seems small. In hindsight I guess it really doesn't need to go in the locker.

Biggest ball you can :)
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,248 AG
    It depends where you're anchoring. ;)

I've never had my anchor 12" ball go down anywhere around here, if that helps, but it got pretty close in the Keys.
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 899 Officer
    My 12in is half deflated and still never goes under
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,382 Captain
    Darn, I went way too small then. I don't fish near bridges anymore being as I'm always by myself. The one time I did that and tried to navigate a fish using the TM was a bit too hairy :hairraiser I can imagine trying to get off anchor, start the motor, etc :nono
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 315 Deckhand
    I have a 12" And an 18". The 12" will go under if the anchor is hung up even a little. The 18" I haven't had go under yet.
  • LMKLMK Posts: 577 Officer
    I think you are saying you are not wanting to raise it just get off anchor and float the line. Like when you hook a big fish and need to get off anchor and come back to your line, is that right?
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,382 Captain
    LMK wrote: »
    I think you are saying you are not wanting to raise it just get off anchor and float the line. Like when you hook a big fish and need to get off anchor and come back to your line, is that right?

Correct.
  • LMKLMK Posts: 577 Officer
    I think that ball just might work fine for that.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,766 Captain
    if you have a "stuck anchor release" on the anchor, used properly that 9" ball will float the anchor to the surface......if used properly.
  • Reel Gator 2Reel Gator 2 Posts: 137 Deckhand
    I call them "johnny balls" because it is like having a young strong kid to help pull up anchor. I have about a 16" ball and when you are far offshore...its the way to go. Johnny balls are also for chasing down large fish and then coming back to your spot after fighting fish.