Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

I will not give up! Cax Pass Sunday, Hello Kitty

Launched Sunday @ 6:45am, water temp 84.5f and going to a low tide @ 8am.
First stop near a little island produced a trout hitting the topwater and missing it. Anchored off the island point and then it began. Catfish, catfish, catfish. On bucktails, jerkbaits and shrimp. Could not get out of them.
Went to SE part of Cape Romano. Same story, kitty, kitty, kitty. Into the Morgan River. More of the same.
I did manage 1 flounder of 14" on a jig in the Morgan. I did release it.
There was a smattering of jacks/ladyfish, but 5 cats for each of the others.
Back to the island and hooked a monster ladyfish, probably approaching 34". Nice fight!
On to some rocks on a point of Marco Island. Hand size jacks. Lots of them. Did see one guy catch a 20" snook.
Water down sough had a lot off tannin stain. Further north was pretty clean.
I'm not gonna give up but will take the next 2 weekends off.
My last few trips have resulted in decent C&R for snook and a few decent trout. This trip will be filed in the "hope to not have another one like this for a long time" file. A monumental day for the infamous Trash Can Slam!
Till next time, be safe, save some for me!
Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• cjlukenscjlukens Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Hopefully it picks up soon. I will be down next week probably do a few days offshore. Let me know if you want to go catch some grouper with me as my kids already told me they are bailing.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,754 Captain
    Thanks for the report..... Been fishing from Cokohatchee up into estero bay.....Lots of snook!! Tons of baits!! Was thinking 10K on sunday but maybe just head back to estero bay :huh
    Jason :USA
  • hasbeenhasbeen Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    I am headed to Marco now going through Crystal River to grab my Action Craft. I will be there til next weekend. I have some knowledge of the area and good electronics if anyone wants to hook up or offer local tips that would be great. Thanks.
  • FinheadFinhead Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report CK. I was down there Sunday. Managed 2 trout to 18" and 2 snook to 26" in the pass at first light under a dock light that was still on. Then to Morgan island beach and got a couple big Jack's on top water which are fun. Got a mid 20"'s black drum on a XR10 Rapala which was surprising. Saw a few snook (prob up to mid 30"'s) in the rivers and got a few follows all the way to the boat but no commits. Water was muddy like you said until you got north, pretty slow once the sun got up. Got into a couple acres of glass minnows with a couple schools of threads mixed in about 1/2 mile off the beach but didn't see any tarpon in it. Anybody seeing any down there (here comes the crickets...)
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,754 Captain
    Finhead wrote: »
    Anybody seeing any down there (here comes the crickets...)

:rotflmao

A buddy came into the shop yesterday, he is a charter captain out of Calusa....He said nothing about Tarpon...Catching alot of under slot snook and put his client on a 38" snook yesterday thanks to some bigger bait he had found.
    Jason :USA
  • xavierscreedxavierscreed Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I saw a tarpon this afternoon in blind pass right where it pours out into the gulf. He went by too fast to cast at. Havent been able to produce much here on vacation for the week though.
    I was inside Caxambas pass this morning saw quite a few tarpon but couldn't get any of them interested.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 10,471 AG
    If I was trying for Tarpon right now I'd be 10 miles up the river casting for 1 to 30 pounders.
    Tamami Farm ditches and little creeks got a bunch of little rollers.
    Faka Union spillway has a bunch.
    White Crappie jigs ..all I'm gonna say. No boat needed for them but lot's of bug spray..lot's.
    There's so much fresh water flowing out right now the big girls are gone offshore. Big Snook as well.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    are there any trout around now
  • AndrewFLAndrewFL Posts: 57 Deckhand
    http://swfkaa.com

That ladyfish could have been a record Caxambas kid.