Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Crystal River bait boat

Yes, No, Maybe? Any info price, size...
Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin

Replies

• CEMSGUYCEMSGUY Posts: 130 Deckhand
    He has chum, sardines, etc. Pinfish are $8 or $10/dozen. He does offer "select" pinfish. Prices for frozen bait didn't seem outrageous (we usually buy a flat of sardines instead of 5 lb boxes, so it's hard for me to compare that price).

Time will tell if he is reliable or not. He was there at 6:00AM this Sunday.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,275 Officer
    If you are asking if there is a boat selling bait, yes. It is parked in the river near shell island. Not sure what all he has or prices, because I use only artificial, but I know he has shrimp, pinfish and some frozen bait
  • 33vector33vector Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    how is getting to him. I have driven past and it looks like it is shallow on that side and even seen people with motors jacked up looking at lower units. Seems like it would be better if he was on other side closer to shell island.
  • Mattybobatty0311Mattybobatty0311 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    If he has cigar minnows I'll be all over it.
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    He never seems to be out there when I need him, but when I am loaded up with bait, there he is.......go figure.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,275 Officer
    Plenty of water around his boat. He has been there every time I've been out for the past 3 weeks at least. When my son got bait from him he said he had been there since Tuesday and it was Saturday, meaning he hadn't been off the boat or moved.
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Seems like a nice guy, but $40 for 100 shrimp is a bit steep. I won't be going back at that price.
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 237 Deckhand
    Fishesman wrote: »
    Seems like a nice guy, but $40 for 100 shrimp is a bit steep. I won't be going back at that price.

"a bit steep" is being kind.
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 418 Deckhand
    HARRYD wrote: »
    "a bit steep" is being kind.

You couldn't hear the sarcasm I typed. I don't mind paying a few dollars more for the convenience, but $40 is ridiculous.
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 237 Deckhand
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    I've seen the boat out there also, and wonder about pricing and stock. For one I've considered doing this myself but adding some killer BBQ to the availability. And still thinking about it. Bonnie has been pretty successful down in Sassy. This guy has several things against him IMO,
    #1 that high sided trawler is not very approachable, nor is the locale all that attractive, there are bars near where he is anchored that could get someone in distress if they don't know that area.
    #2 Aside from a banner, there is nothing "obvious" that there is anyone aboard, we fish Monday's and Wednesday's, so if you're out there all week, make it clear, sit outside in a lawn chair, raise a flag that reads "OPEN"??
    #3 Yea a slightly elevated price would be acceptable, but certainly not double, I will just make sure I have what I need before leaving the dock, and should I run short, as I did yesterday, I will just head to twin rivers and enjoy the river ride. Just my .02
  • bonebone Posts: 1,153 Officer
    20 years ago we spent $3.99 for one hundred shrimp at hook, line, and sinker in yankeetown. No reason to be that expensive now. Besides a lip hooked pinfish that takes about 30 seconds to catch on a pinch of squid is the best bait out there.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,318 Moderator
    bone wrote: »
    20 years ago we spent $3.99 for one hundred shrimp at hook, line, and sinker in yankeetown. No reason to be that expensive now. Besides a lip hooked pinfish that takes about 30 seconds to catch on a pinch of squid is the best bait out there.

I remember those prices. :cool:
    "You'll get your weather"
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,984 Captain
    Fishesman wrote: »

Horry Sheet!