Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Chazz fishing

Just so happens the family is all off from school/work tomorrow, so was gonna try fishing out of chazz. I have been going out of Bayport the last couple years(mostly scalloping), and want to be able to let the kids swim in the springs later in the day and piddle with fishing in the morning. I'm not much of a fisherman (more of a hunter) but do bream fish some and have salt water fished a little. I know there are a pile of rocks in Chazz and to plan on taking my time getting out. Sure not looking for anybodys spots, but does anybody have any advise on what kind of "terrain" I should look for to put the kids on some fish? I don't really care what we catch, but ideally they would be edible. I assume we'd be best off with some type of live bait, is there any bait shops that sell shrimp or whatever around Chazz? Any other advise? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• fsunoefsunoe Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    There is a bait shop right before you hit the camp ground that typically has some shrimp. I would fish on an incoming tide and look for the grass flats or hard rocky bottom. Trout will be in some of the deeper grass with white pot holes around them and the reds will be up against the bank once you get outside of the river. I typically site fish for the reds in the morning then hit the trout later on. Good luck out there. Hopefully the rain hasn't messed some of the fishing up.
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Thanks for the tips. Not expecting much. Don't get disapointed that way.
  • SassaWhalerSassaWhaler Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Not sure what kind of boat you will be fishing out of. But if you can find an island with some rock/ shoal bottom around it and it has mullet jumping (key is looking for mullet jumping) you should find some reds. I find it best to fish the side of the island pointed into the current (incoming tide fish western facing points, etc.)
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 469 Deckhand
    I'm in an 18' G3. Thanks for the tip, I've never caught a red fish.
  • Catfish_HunterCatfish_Hunter Posts: 261 Deckhand
    not many trout in chass right now unless you go out past bird key on the flats... reds and snook seem to be on the outside points... take your time going down the river and back in. manatee zone from the mouth of river to johns island so plan for 45 mins extra each way.

Hire a guide so you got an idea of the lay of the land. PM and I can put you in touch with someone if you want to go that route.

as for the "bait shop" thats more of a local spot. not any tackle there and they only order shrimp for the guides and sell the extra to the public. dont count on them actually having shrimp when u need it. cutbait seems to be what they are biting on right now anyways.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,741 Captain
    not many trout in chass right now unless you go out past bird key on the flats... reds and snook seem to be on the outside points... take your time going down the river and back in. manatee zone from the mouth of river to johns island so plan for 45 mins extra each way.

Hire a guide so you got an idea of the lay of the land. PM and I can put you in touch with someone if you want to go that route.

as for the "bait shop" thats more of a local spot. not any tackle there and they only order shrimp for the guides and sell the extra to the public. dont count on them actually having shrimp when u need it. cutbait seems to be what they are biting on right now anyways.

Yep everything he said ^^^.

With this heat today, and kids, that long idle zone will be a pain but having a bimini will help,

I'll be out there today in a similar boat, If I should run into you, I'll give you a couple places to try.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."