Tuna Norht

HooganHoogan Posts: 522 Officer
Tuna North,

I've been servicing reels for 40 years and needless to say it all began with Penn Senators, Squidders and Jigmasters.
I think I know a thing or two about reel mechanics including the latest offerings from the Makaira to the AVET Raptor, inside and out. I will not fish a reel before I fully service it prior to its first use. I hear you push Pennn reels or offer excuses when fisherman post an issue with any brand reel and then you suggest " you should try this Penn model"
I have never heard you say: Penn really ****ed up which Penn has done increasingly so throughtout most recent years, with the Senators going overseas, the Penn Baja 113HN lack of publicity and subsequent demise, the list goes on. Most recently penn discontinued the 4.8 to 1 optional gear set for the Torque Star Drag, what an incompetent move that was.

Replies

• TunanorthTunanorth Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Hi Hoogan,
    "What's my purpose"? Wow, that's a pretty existential question.
    I am a PENN pro-staffer who has adapted to the modern social media age, and answers questions on Facebook and the various forums, in particular the ones that PENN sponsors [like this one and BD]. If PENN pays for the space, they have the right to address comments/questions.
    By far the most common questions I answer are something like: "Does reel X work with rod Y and line Z, when trying to catch [fish species].
    Retiring from the retail tackle industry after over 30 years; from the waterfront pro shop, to statewide [California], and national levels, I have a pretty broad knowledge of what sells and what doesn't [and at what price], and certainly admit that I have a "west coast" point of view and bias.
    Sorry that you don't like my posts, I try my best to give folks the most useful information possible, and I do get lots of "thank yous", and tons of additional questions via PM.
    Regarding the Baja Special's demise in 2006, the guy who made that decision now works for another reel company, and the current team are the ones who brought it back. The 4.8-1 gear set was actually my idea back in 2010, but it sold nearly zero, so my feelings are not hurt that it will be taken over by aftermarket company "Pro Challenger", which is the appropriate source for a niche item like that.
    Feel free to scroll past my comments in the future.
    Penn Pro Staffer
    "The best kind of fish in the world is the one on the end of your line"
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,805 Captain
    Your still ok with me Steve! (Tuna Norht sic.) Don't stop posting.
    Even though I have reels from at least eight or nine different manufacturers, my oldest reels are Penns and my two newest reel purchases are Penns, if that means anything.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• HooganHoogan Posts: 522 Officer
    [QUOTE=Tunanorth;3023987 The 4.8-1 gear set was actually my idea back in 2010, but it sold nearly zero, so my feelings are not hurt that it will be taken over by aftermarket company "Pro Challenger", which is the appropriate source for a niche item like that.
    Feel free to scroll past my comments in the future.[/QUOTE]

I just got thru reading a thread in BD with multiple fisherman asking where to find 4.8-1 gears for the Torque star drag? And a multitude of others saying that if they could get a hold of the 4.8 - 1 gears set they would go out and purchase a a Torque 30 or a 35T.
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 522 Officer
    double post