6/17 PE Mahi - we found 'em

Got out a little late - sun had already broken the horizon (not by much though). Tamma had caught 60 odd small chummer pilchards the night before, and we headed out with a few bags of pre-rigged ballyhoo. Glad for the live bait, as the number of boats fishing father's day weekend had both bait boats (north and south of the inlet) lined up with folks waiting on live bait. Still, with the small size of our pilchards we felt a bit under-gunned for the day.

Pushed out and second guessed ourselves on a decent scattered weedline about 17m SE of the inlet. Pushed another 7-8 miles before coming back to it. worked that for a bit. Saw some birds working and quickly made a pass. immediately hooked up, and then pandemonium ensued. smallest 3 were 21" the rest ranged up to 32" Nothing huge, but all caught within 30-40 minutes by the two of us. Kept the boat in gear, kept one fish in the water, and the school stayed with us as we flung the chummers at them to keep them fired up.

With our limit caught, we saw the 25lb'ish bull and had to simply head in, leaving behind a huge school of very hungry dolphin. Headed back to the dock at 9:45 with a lot of filleting to do...

[video=youtube_share;ZwX45mkSDIU]

Replies

• EvergladesEverglades Boca Raton & IslamoradaPosts: 111 Deckhand
    Nice work. You have a mess of rods and blood all over the boat.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,786 Captain
    Nice catch ,way to find them.
  • conquistadorconquistador Posts: 211 Deckhand
    Gj! Throw them straight in the fish box next time to avoid a bloodbath. Caught over 30 last week and no blood in the boat :)
    1996 24' CC w/300 Yamaha - Sold
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 856 Officer
    awesome
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • NickNutNickNut Posts: 230 Deckhand
    Gj! Throw them straight in the fish box next time to avoid a bloodbath. Caught over 30 last week and no blood in the boat :)

Yeah, we were mostly concerned with just keeping the school with us, as we had 14-15 other boats all around (I think there was a tournament running), and we didn't want them swimming off. Grabbed what we could as fast as we could. There were a few times where I ran around trying to reorganize stuff, but you know how it goes. I regretted not having my son with me, as an extra pair of hands would have been really helpful (even IF they belong to a 6yr old).

Good times though.
  • T - L U VT - L U V Posts: 187 Officer
    Good work right there! I agree I wouldn't worry about the boat and the blood. Get what you need to get, if you know there keepers, just throw them in the bottom of the boat and worry about the blood later! Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 806 Officer
    Savage!
  • MahichaserMahichaser Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    That's what they call gangsta style fishing.
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    Nice report. AND bloody mess!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]