Beach Snookin

Hey All,

This is my first report, so forgive me in advance.

The wife and I just moved down and decided to do some fishing last weekend to try and land our first snook. We I set out on my day off last Thursday and paddled to Caladesi Island, didn't see anything all morning except a shark and a bunch of rays, little to no bait.

Decided to give it a shot Friday evening with Jess and of course that's all it took. 30 minutes into the walk around the back of Honeymoon Island and I see a couple good cruising fish, they wanted nothing to do with my fly but one big girl took a liking to Jessica's white paddle tail. The fight was on and Jess successfully landed her first snook, and boy was she a beauty, she measured just under 40 inches. We got a quick picture and a quick release and she was on her way to give us all some more baby snook. The fish seemed few and far between around Hurricane pass but the ones we saw were all upper to overslot. I look forward to making it back that way and chasing some more!

PS. if you guys wanna throw any tips my way for a couple of beginners I certainly love any and all knowledge we can soak up.

Replies

• GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 316 Deckhand
    Looks like you're doing alright to me. My brother's wife out-fishes him all the time too. Have fished that area a looong time. Not easy with so many people everywhere.
    Not a fly guy, and usually toss what your wife was tossing.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,132 Captain
    Great fish
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    @BeachinNJeepin I throw nothing but flies at beach snook.....try something that can get down with small lead eyes and white or green. Advice for the wife.....start putting some money on these trips. She'll make a few extra bucks off you! lol
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • shempshemp Posts: 537 Officer
    Don't think you need any tips!
    But...
    Light, long leader. And don't put your reel down in the sand. Outgoing w/ that full moon last weekend should/did turn on the fish.

GitterDone
  • BeachinNJeepinBeachinNJeepin Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys! One of these days I'll catch a bigger fish than her. It just hasn't happened yet.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    One other tip....maybe a clear floating fly line....if you can find one you like to cast.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,332 Captain
    Nice Fish!
    God, save the South!