FLAMINGO REPORTS - SUMMER '17

Thought I would start this again to see if anyone is still interested in posting. Anyone been down lately? Captain LeMay?

Replies

• TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 442 Deckhand
    I've been focusing more on the 10K area but always interested in hearing what's going on in Flamingo. I like the idea of being able to get back to the dock quickly when thunderstorms creep up and was just thinking Flamingo may be the place to go this weekend/next week.
  • got1ongot1on Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    My son and I fished Flamingo today. First thing I need to mention is the bugs. **** the mosquitos were thick. At the ramp, out on the coast, in WWB and again at the ramp when we got back. We had fun though, and managed to catch some nice snook (31 was biggest), several trout (15-17) and a baby **** back near the ramp. Had a nice red take a swipe at my top water but he missed the hooks. All in all, another memorable day in the park with my best fishing buddy!:fishing
  • LOUNGELIZARDLOUNGELIZARD Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 442 Deckhand
    got1on wrote: »
    My son and I fished Flamingo today. First thing I need to mention is the bugs. **** the mosquitos were thick. At the ramp, out on the coast, in WWB and again at the ramp when we got back. We had fun though, and managed to catch some nice snook (31 was biggest), several trout (15-17) and a baby **** back near the ramp. Had a nice red take a swipe at my top water but he missed the hooks. All in all, another memorable day in the park with my best fishing buddy!:fishing

The bugs were thicker at Outdoor Resorts in Chokoloskee on 11 JUN than I've ever seen them; I thought I was in Flamingo.
  • gladesrunnergladesrunner Posts: 113 Deckhand
    Bugs and thunderstorms really thin out the playing field..........I was there on Sunday, 2 reds @24"; each. a few refusals from some solo stud over-slot fish. Looked for tarpon in the morning and could not find them.....
  • BonesBones Posts: 179 Deckhand
    Not a single snook Javier?
    I saw one:wink
    Was there yesterday for the first time in awhile and fished the cape area but the snook were not home. Only caught two and lost a couple more but caught quite a few large trout, the biggest 22 inches.
  • got1ongot1on Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    Fished today with my buddy Jesse. Started the day fishing a shoreline north of the shark river. We caught several snook on top water lures and a few more on a jig head/gulp. Biggest was 30 inches, the others were 24-26. Then we decided to run offshore to get away from the bugs and see if we could get on some permit and/or cobia. Saw plenty of mits but they refused our crabs over and over. Also some some cobes but we couldn't get them to eat or jigs. The boat next to us landed one and lost several others to sharks and pulled hooks. We did manage to catch another 4 snook there before the storms started to build and forced us to run south to avoid them. Fished a few markers on the way back to ramp and caught some snapper, trout, jacks and an undersized cobia. Overall, it was another awesome day in ENP.:fishing
    Oh, and the mosquitos were thick once again.:machinegun
    The Friendly Flamingo Tournament (FFT) is next Saturday. Sign up for a fun time here. http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?243582-1-Day-2-Anglers-4-Species-on-July-8-Flamingo-Tourney-the-FFT/page3
  • Fishin' MusicianFishin' Musician Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    Fished Flamingo this passed Tuesday with my two buddies. Weather was great and bugs were terrible.
    Water was a little milky with some floating grass.
    Fished the Cape Sable area.
    Got three keeper trout and two mangroves on a mix of artificials and live bait. Released some small trout, a small snook and rat red.
    Always good to be on the water there.
    Dave
    Its hot out there
  • EasternGlowEasternGlow Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Ran a trip this past Tuesday 7/25 on the inside, fly fishing only. Found a very nice school of tarpon first thing in the morning up north, hooked one in the 40 lb. range, broke off. Found another school later on the in the morning rolling feverishly, but couldn't coax an eat. Ended up sightfishing some snook later on, had a solid 9 or 10 lb. fish eat a wiggle minnow and broke him off too :mad Ended up being run in by some violent storms brewing from the north. Only boat/trailer on the inside all day, can't beat that!
  • ReelthiefReelthief Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Great reports guys!
  • Fishin' MusicianFishin' Musician Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    EasternGlow,

We were out front on Tues. up by Cape Sable. That storm chased us off a few times as well. We did manage some snook up to 25". It was very hot but on the plus side the mosquitoes were relatively light.
    Dave
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,939 Captain
    Backcountry report, 2 August

This past week it's been fathers and sons bookings (the few that I had...). On Friday we fished out of Flamingo with visiting angler Enrique Torres and his son Eugenio from Mexico. After a long run across the interior we got down to business along the gulf coast near the Shark river where it was big jacks, speckled trout and one small snook (for young Eugenio it was his first time in the 'Glades... so it was all new....). Here's Enrique with a medium sized jack crevalle taken on a small lure...
    [img][/img][img][/img]ks4a8Qd.jpg
    lots of these guys around now along the coast from five to around fifteen pounds... and they'll beat any other fish to your lure....
    Here's a pic of Eugenio's first speckled trout...
    [img][/img][img][/img]y1S5Tgj.jpg

Later that day we had a couple of great encounters - and I couldn't get to the camera in time to record either one... While working around a tiny creek mouth we spotted a goliath grouper pushing a wake in less than 18" of water - just right for a sightfishing shot. Enrique was able to feed it a small Gulp tailed jig and we were off to the races in such shallow, clear water that we could see every move the fish made as it raced from one snag to another (the shoreline was littered with downed trees and stumps). Four times Enrique turned the fish (and he was using the lightest rod on my skiff with only 10lb braid line...). The fifth time the fish made it to a better hideout - and that was the end of that... Sighting and hooking a 20lb grouper in super shallow waters in the Glades is always a possibility -but getting one to the boat is always a tough proposition - no matter what size they are.... A few hours later we were trying to hook up a small to medium sized shark for Eugenio when the heaviest rod on my skiff bent double and Enrique again was hooked up solid - this time to a really big fish that we never got a look at. After going right to the breaking point of the 20lb line on the rod several times the big animal was close enough to get a good look at... It was one thumper of a big sawfish that looked to be about 12 feet long and very unhappy.... A twelve footer is not as big as you might think since around three feet of him is his nose (called a rostrum by scientific types... most know that its big saw is a dangerous proposition near the boat -so you handle them as cautiously as possible) - but it was clearly in the 250 lb range.... After a good look right at boatside the big animal was released in good condition (and we avoided any new scratches or gouges to the gelcoat on my skiff..). Yes, the sawfish is on the endangered specie list (and I worked for the scientists that did the research to have it placed on the list a few years back from Mote Marine Labs). The only place with numbers of them is still the Everglades - but the good news is that the net ban amendment here in Florida has greatly enhanced their recovery prospects around our state.... It was nets inshore that nearly wiped them out worldwide so if other coastal states would shut down inshore netting they might actually re-populate all those areas as well over the years.... Both the goliath grouper and the sawfish have been protected in the Park for years and years now - long before the sawfish actually made it onto the endangered list. I'm betting that those protections have worked well and will continue to improve their status...

A day later I was on the other side of the Park working out of Everglades City with local angler Eric Gleason and his son Ewan. The weather that day was far from ideal with a southwest wind and frequent rainshowers mixed in with the occasional thunderstorm. Young Ewan was using a light rod and a small jig at our first spot when he caught and released his first two redfish. Here's a pic of that first fish... just before the release...
    [img][/img][img][/img]f2I97ix.jpg

Here's a closeup of the small jigs we use the most for reds, snook, trout, (and almost everything else...)
    [img][/img][img][/img]nvSF6PW.jpg

Young Ewan went on to catch speckled trout and a variety of other fish that day (as we were being chased around by one storm or another...). All in all it was a pretty good day in poor conditions.

As we move into August I'm expecting that we'll find more and more baitfish along every shoreline on the coast - and the bait will increase in size as we near September.... We should also begin to find more and more big tarpon that have returned from spawning and are feeding up as we move toward the end of summer...

Be a hero... take a kid fishing...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • EdBEdB Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Bob - your reports are "thee best" - thanks
  • SaltFlyTyerSaltFlyTyer Posts: 63 Deckhand
    Any tail will work but I'm just about exclusively using Gulp tails - either the 3" shrimp in New Penny or the 4" mullet (the one shown) in pearl white... We've yet to find a color of Gulp that fish wouldn't jump on but I pretty much stick to those two colors (if I can find them...). I also try to buy in the pint or quart sized plastic containers since the ones in the ziplock bags frequently come out bent or twisted...

The best part about Gulp tails is that you can fish them in any conditions - depending on how you rig them. For less than four feet of water I hand my anglers a 1/8oz leadhead with Gulp tail - when it's four to eight feet of water (or in a noticable current) we're using 1/4oz heads. For super shallow conditions we're using a bass style weedless hook with a tiny bit of weight on the shank...

As many know I even go to the trouble of making my own leadheads (and bucktails for when we're not using Gulp at all...). An email to [email protected] will get you a price list with color photos, etc. I have a few customers that order them from me by the 100 per size (and in the color you choose, powder coated then baked...)... Every one comes with a sticky sharp black nickel hook - and the hook is the right size for each head (finding good quality leadheads in many stores isn't easy - that's the main reason I started making my own....).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 420 Deckhand
    Great report, Cap.
  • Capt.JSuLCapt.JSuL Posts: 73 Deckhand
    :Rockon Nice!
    Capt. Jason Sullivan
    www.RisingTideCharters.com
    (954)864-0592
    With all that bad weather coming (what hurricane?) I thought there still might be a bit of time for a fishing report.... Of course, just after I got the email from the Park today - Everglades National Park is now closed until Irma passes by (and if they get torn up - who knows when they'll re-open...).

Our last day on the water was last Sunday and we made good use of it... My anglers caught and released snook, redfish, snapper, sharks, and a variety of other species - all mostly on the small side using lead heads with Gulp tails. The highlight of the day was a few tripletail - the biggest weighed in right at 10lbs - an outstanding catch using the lightest rod on the skiff... Here's a pic of Randy Abelman's fish...
    [img][/img][img][/img]PVwVNRb.jpg

His partner, Lenny, promptly tossed another small jig at the same spot and came up with one that weighed in at seven pounds... All of this was in less than six feet of water on light ten pound line... Both fish managed a jump or two during the fight -then promptly went into the cooler since they're outstanding table fare. We managed a third much smaller specimen which was carefully released. There will be tripletail this size and larger the next few months, much closer in shore now that all of the crab traps are out of the waters a bit farther out....

We ended the day with a shot or two at a few very aggressive goliath grouper up in a nearby river - that just took us to school. I'm guessing they were in the thirty to fifty pound range and were holding very close to a severely undercut river bank near the Little Shark river... You can guess what I'll have to say when FWC's workshops are held near my house in a little over a month... Sure would be nice to have them removed from some of the current protections. The jewfish (goliath grouper for all you politically correct types) have made an outstanding comeback after more than 20 years of complete protection.... They're one of my favorite fish in the 'Glades - absolutely fearless and willing to hit a variety of live and dead baits - as well as lures and flies... Tough as an old leather boot - they just never give up when you hook one...

Enough for now - the next two days I'll be armoring the house with heavy shutters and getting ready to bunker down for the weekend. Here's hoping that all stay safe and get a chance to fish a bit after all the cleanup that we'll surely be facing...

Be a hero... take a kid fishing
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • ReelthiefReelthief Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Great report Bob. Came in right behind you guys. A little too much electricity in the air for me. Best wishes for all with this **** storm.
  • Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 431 Deckhand
    I'm curious to see how much the landscape of the west coast of ENP has changed from Irma. I'm sure a lot of it will have to be "re-learned."
    You're right on the money... of course first, the Park will have to re-open and that might be a ways off... It was about six months after Wilma and more than a year, if I remember correctly after Andrew... I figure the entire area from Key Largo over towards Naples took a terrible beating... The only contact I've made over towards the Choko area is to another guide that doesn't live there. No answer from Glades Haven or Port of the Islands as of this morning (Wednesday)... I figure they're probably out both electric and phones... Lots of TV footage from the Keys and Marco/Naples but nothing from the 10K or Flamingo....

If anyone has info please post it up.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Richard33Richard33 Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Definitely interested in a post hurricane report from flamingo.
    I started fishing Flamingo right after Andrew (I think it was November of 92) so I wasn't re-learning then and I had very limited range. After Wilma, the west coast didn't stop changing for many months as the erosion set in on the coast. As the dead mangroves started falling and roots rotting, the shoreline continued to change after every cold front (it was still changing in some spots). There was also a ton of sediment that ended up in areas like Ponce de Leon Bay which cleared up pretty quick.
    Exposed islands in WWB were severely impacted as well, but the erosion there took much longer.

Be careful out there, and watch out for submerged stuff.

Bob, hope you and the other guides can ramp business back up soon!
    Thanks. Found some info on Everglades City and Chokoloskee over on the Naples news site --- doesn't look good with many houses destroyed, lots and lots of damage, etc. Folks over that way probably have a lot less resources than folks in the Keys as well....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Good news... Port of the Islands ramp is up and usable...

I posted what I've found over on the 10K board http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?249442-Any-surge-damage-at-Port-if-the-Isles/page2
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666