Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Seems to be a few redfish around

Thought it was going to be windy on Sunday so went out on a whim late Saturday morning. Got the boat in the water by 11 with overcast skies, no rain, tide had just turned to falling. First spot, nada. Followed the shoreline around into a bight, throwing triple D at likely looking spots. Got tagged in a creek mouth twice, couldn't close the deal but the third time was the charm. 18 1/4 inch, multi spotted red came to the boat and was released. The breeze was blowing onshore and when the skeeters got a whiff of my man scent, I was gang **** in short order :willynilly. Because I went out on a whim, I was poorly dressed, wearing only shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Found a bottle of old 100% deet in the bottom of my tackle bag before they exsanguinated me, glad it still effective! Found another 24" red further around the mangroves and released it into the cooler. I have been bleeding them lately, before throwing in the cooler and it seems to enhance the flavor. Makes for a messy engine well, but.... about twenty yards farther in a 22 incher whacks old triple D. I had accomplished my mission and my as well quit while I am ahead. Boat was on the trailer headed back home in the rain showers by 1 oclock and I had fried redfish for a late lunch before the Stanley Cup.

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"

Replies

• got1ongot1on Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Sounds like a fun and productive trip.:fishing
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,272 Officer
    Good report. Thanks for reporting.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 10,449 AG
    Been seeing plenty of Reds and doing 2 to 3 every time I head out.
    If the wind would lay down it'd be nice.No real bait yet..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • tg.tg. Posts: 140 Deckhand
    "Triple D?" Are referring to those plugs they build for muskie and such?
  • nobleonenobleone Posts: 102 Deckhand
    tg. wrote: »
    "Triple D?" Are referring to those plugs they build for muskie and such?
    :shrug

Yozuri crankbait. They stopped making them for a few years but I saw em back on the shelves earlier this year, and of course I bought all they had :fishing

• tg.tg. Posts: 140 Deckhand
    3D Crystal Minnow?
    I rarely fish with a crystal minnow, but we did jump a fairly large **** slow trolling one in front of the Beach Club Hotel and every once in a while I try to duplicate that trick. I use the flat crank, I guess they are mostly made for bass fishing but they seem to attract most everything that swims in the inshore/back country almost as good as redfish magic.

• BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    Nice report, where you been man? Gonna shame all us old timers outta hibernation?
    Bobber wrote: »
    Nice report, where you been man? Gonna shame all us old timers outta hibernation?

Hehehehe, figured if any of the old timers would "flush" out, it would be you Bobber! I do miss the old days with many many reports and plenty of smack talk as well as pictures. There was a hell of a lot of very useful information passed around and it seems to have dried up to desert conditions. I was being selfish at first about the triple D info but remembered I learned about it on this board. I fished with Peter this past weekend "Down South" and was amazed at how much the area around Lostmans had shifted in the past few years.

• BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    Yeah, not what it used to be,we had a good crew on here in the day. I should post more reports but still am leery of spot stealers. My style has changed, got a 15' techskiff and spend most of my time deep inside on the pole in super skinny. Ain't no fish north of the Barron but I'm still up there a lot😁
    My rig has Glades Angel on the sides so if you see me come by and holler over. If you can float in 6"!!!