Home Ask the Law!

Messing with Fishing Gear

AscholtenAscholten Posts: 13 Greenhorn
I have a quick question if I may.

I know that molesting crab traps is a felony that can get you jail time / fined / shot etc.

What about fishing gear?

Ok, some of us fish at a place, there is an individual there, tree hugger type who likes to let fish loose off peoples poles. Generally people are there with their poles, however from time to time get called away for a few minutes to go take care of something. While they are gone, this person will and has been caught reeling up their poles and letting any fish loose and throwing them back in the water. Im talking even the ones legal to keep.

Is there such a law as molesting fishing tackle? I seen something like this for fresh water but it really did not address salt water.

I know that generally one really does need to stay with their poles, but besides harrassment is there something that can be done law wise without having to resort to this person becoming stuffed into a crab trap or 5?

Thank you.

Aaron

Replies

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,984 Captain
    Cobia bat to the face seems sufficient
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    If I see it I hope they know how to swim.
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Isn't it against the rules to leave fishing gear unattended? Or is that just a rule at curtain piers?
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • GreyRiderGreyRider Posts: 61 Deckhand
    379.105 Harassment of hunters, trappers, or fishers.—
    (1) A person may not intentionally, within a publicly or privately owned wildlife management or fish management area or on any state-owned water body:
    (a) Interfere with or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish, game, or nongame animals by another.
    (b) Attempt to disturb fish, game, or nongame animals or attempt to affect their behavior with the intent to prevent their lawful taking by another.
    (2) Any person who violates this section commits a Level Two violation under s. 379.401.
    History.—s. 2, ch. 90-170; s. 27, ch. 2006-304; s. 9, ch. 2008-247.
    Note.—Former s. 372.705.
  • AscholtenAscholten Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    cpr excellent question. I am not sure what all entails 'unattended' though. What if I have to goto the johnny to pee and it's 30 feet away. Is this technically leaving my pole unattended, even though it's only for a minute or two? Technically if you are one of those who uses multiple poles, you can only get your hands on one at a time, so is this unatteneded?? (yes I know, splitting hairs)

Even IF I am commiting an 'infraction' by leaving that pole unattended, does that give this person the 'right' then to mess with my tackle?

GreyRider, thank you VERY much for that posting. Can you please provide a link to the exact place you found that specific verbage. Not that I do not believe you but I need a quick jump to 'the law' so that when i wrap this person around a piece of rotating machinery, I can very quickly get to my alibi :)

Thank you everyone for your help.

Aaron
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    Call it in: 888-404-FWCC (3922)
  • GreyRiderGreyRider Posts: 61 Deckhand
    Yaksquatch

"GreyRider, thank you VERY much for that posting. Can you please provide a link to the exact place you found that specific verbage. Not that I do not believe you but I need a quick jump to 'the law' so that when i wrap this person around a piece of rotating machinery, I can very quickly get to my alibi."

Link to law:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0379/Sections/0379.105.html

Link to Floorida Statutes:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/

Hope this helps

GreyRider