Gandhi

Academy Awards, USA 1983
    Won Oscar

Best Picture Richard Attenborough

Best Actor in a Leading Role Ben Kingsley

Best Director Richard Attenborough

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen John Briley

Best Cinematography Billy Williams Ronnie Taylor

Best Art Direction-Set Decoration Stuart Craig, Robert W. Laing, Michael Seirton

Best Costume Design John Mollo, Bhanu Athaiya

Best Film Editing John Bloom

Nominated Oscar
    Best Sound Gerry Humphreys,Robin O'Donoghue, Jonathan Bates, Simon Kaye

Best Music, Original Score Ravi Shankar, George Fenton

Best Makeup
    Tom Smith

Golden Globes, USA 1983
    Won
    Golden Globe
    Best Foreign Film
    UK
    Best Director - Motion Picture
    Richard Attenborough
    Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
    Ben Kingsley
    New Star of the Year in a Motion Picture - Male
    Ben Kingsley
    Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
    John Briley

2922348_orig.jpg

His outcome was civil war.
    picture-182589.gif
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,785 Admiral
    2true wrote: »
    His outcome was civil war.

Where did you hear that? FAUX News ?

The Colonial British left because of non-violent protests, strikes and non-cooperation from Indians.

Pakistan was partitioned from India by treaty.

There was no civil war.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,273 Captain
    "Bride of Frankenstein"

"Casablanca"

"Duck Soup"

"King Kong"

"Blazing Saddles"

"Rustler's Rhapsody"
  • mara5mara5 Posts: 159 Deckhand
    1.) Avatar
    2.) Remember the Titans
    3.) Outlaw Josey Wales
    4.) Braveheart
    5.) Too many to remember
  • RareRare Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Papillon: steve mcqueen/dustin hoffman
  • ncdeadncdead Posts: 545 Officer
    Ok...gotta throw it out there...Wizard of Oz. pretty groundbreaking for its time. Had to be pretty mind blowing for the folks in 1939 to see a movie go from black and white to color. Flying monkeys scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    ncdead wrote: »
    Ok...gotta throw it out there...Wizard of Oz. pretty groundbreaking for its time. Had to be pretty mind blowing for the folks in 1939 to see a movie go from black and white to color. Flying monkeys scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.
    Good point---going with the groundbreaking theme, the original King Kong was amazing for its time. (1933)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    American Beauty
    The original Rocky movie....the script by Sylvester Stallone is great....the boxing scenes not so much but it's still a good movie. Great writing and dialogue. Takes you to that time and place....it's really a very good movie.
    To kill a mockingbird...one of not the first Robert Devall movies. Based on the novel by Harper Lee.
    American graffiti...don't mean to high jack the thread....just dig good movies
    Rain Man....
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 2,139 Captain
    Saving Private Ryan- the beach landing scene chokes me up ever time.

For comedy- Caddyshack- let's dance!
  • williepwilliep Posts: 54 Deckhand
    The original Rocky movie... Great writing and dialogue. Takes you to that time and place....it's really a very good movie.

This guy really added the flavor to that movie ...

938418693-burgess-meredith-rocky-motivation-burgess-cold-boxing-demotivational-posters-1294378922.jpg
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

• David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    No James Bond movies yet?
    Goldfinger
    Dr. No
    Bullit (Best car chase ever)
    The Song Remains the Same
    Enter the Dragon (Best martial arts film ever)
    The Ten Commandments (The one with Charlton Heston)
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 410 Deckhand
    The English patient

Inglorious bastards

Schindlers list

A beautiful life.
    Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    Howard the Duck
  • David C.David C. Posts: 104 Deckhand
    Scent of a woman with Al Pacino

X2 on that one, good movie.
    Howard the Duck

LOL

Cinderella Man
    Gran Torino
    Again....can't stress this movie enough...Million Dollar Baby. It's a fantastic movie. If you love good movies and great acting you will love this one.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    SeaSpy wrote: »
    Schindlers list
    A beautiful life.

These too.
  • NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 539 Officer
    The Endless Summer
    Florida Impressions | Adventuring in the Sunshine State
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,351 Admiral
    NSB Photog wrote: »
    The Endless Summer

Reminds me of Bruce Brown's motocyle version On Any Sunday. I bet I have watched it literally 100 times.
  • T-DaddyT-Daddy Posts: 213 Deckhand
    I am a little surprised to have not seen Jaws listed more often - Sea Snake, SAENole and SodaPopinski were the only 3 others I saw. If I ever come across this on TV, it is very hard to not watch it, despite owning the DVD (and VHS!). We even have a dog named Chief Martin Brody! Just love it. My wife and I quote it back and forth all of the time. Tons of other great flicks listed here.
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,997 Captain
    o brother, where art thou. seriously. great script, great acting, and some mighty fine picking and sangin!

Cohen Brothers are Good...
    Still Saving Private Ryan for me... Many greats ones are close...
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    David C. wrote: »
    No James Bond movies yet?
    Goldfinger
    Dr. No
    )

I was just thinking of Bond this weekend, some station was having a bond-a-thon. While I wouldn't put any Bond movie in the top ten all time, you can always kill time watching a 007 rerun and be entertained.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    Most any movie directed by John Huston...he was the director of many of Bogarts movies, including Key Largo, Maltese Falcon and the African Queen...my favorite is The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Bogart plays the bad guy in this movie. He also directed Prizzes Honor and a bunch other great movies over the span of over four decades.
    Most any movie directed by John Huston...

White Hunter Black Heart is a 1990 American adventure drama film directed by and starring Clint Eastwood and based on the 1953 book of the same name by Peter Viertel. Viertel also co-wrote the script with James Bridges and Burt Kennedy. The film is a thinly disguised account of writer Peter Viertel's experiences while working on the classic 1951 film The African Queen, which was shot on location in Africa at a time when location shoots outside of the United States for American films were very rare. The main character, brash director John Wilson, played by Eastwood, is based on real-life director John Huston. Jeff Fahey plays Pete Verrill, a character based on Viertel. George Dzundza's character is based on African Queen producer Sam Spiegel. Marisa Berenson's character Kay Gibson and Richard Vanstone's character Phil Duncan, are based on Katharine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart, respectively.

big.jpg

• Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Gladiator
    My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
    Not a huge Kevin Costner fan but 3000 miles to Graceland and Field of Dreams were pretty good.
    Natural born Killers and King Pin with Woody Harrleson. Julliett Lewis was a **** in Natural born Killers....good movie.
    Chaplin...Robert Downey Jr. is brilliant. You would think you were watching Charlie Chaplin when you see his portrayal.