Skip to main content
Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bootle Bay trip 5/20-5/25 with pics-tough start but it got better!

The "UpTick" crew flew into the air strip at Old Bahama Bay in breezy weather after a short delay due to a fairly minor mechanical problem with the plane. After clearing customs (thanks for the quick turnaround Mr. Davis) we took the 7 minute ride over to Bottle Bay Lodge and checked into the cottage suite and villa 7. We were all fired up to get the Ocean Master in the water, put fuel on and try to catch some tasty lane snapper near the Lodge for dinner. You all know how the best laid plans go! After splashing the boat we quickly discovered a thermostat cover leak on the port engine. Now what? I knew that OBS Marine in Freeport closes at noon on Saturday but was lucky enough to find Jamie on his cell and he agreed to meet us at OBS. We met him 30 minutes later picking up the needed part and scooted back to Bootle. A quick fix and we were back in business and headed to OBB for fuel but ran out of time to try and catch dinner in what would have been windy conditions. It now gets better I promise! Sunday greeted us with very good weather so we headed north to catch live bait on a small wreck near Sandy Cay. . . We then ran north of Memory Rock and got into a nice bunch of snappers and of course Mr. Giant AJ decided to get into the act on the live baits.. . We then dove up some conch for dinner on the way back and headed to the fish cleaning station at Bootle. . We had awesome weather on Monday and early on Tuesday and ran into some great muttons. . . The weather got real bad on Wed so we did some work on the boat, enjoyed some great meals at the Lodge and did some maintenance at the Lodge. Great fun after a tough start. Vida reports a "packed house" at the Lodge over the glorious weather that everyone is enjoying over this Memorial Day weekend!! Looking forward to our next run over there which is planned for late June.

Replies

• ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Nice work on putting together a great trip!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    Mechanical issues with the plane and boat the first day has to make you think maybe this trip was not meant to be..... :mad:

Judging by the pics looks like things turned around nicely for you

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • Pursuit2470wpbPursuit2470wpb Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Awesome pics and action once again. Congrats on another great trip.
  • dzankdzank Posts: 250 Deckhand
    century7, you are right on. I was a bit worried but both mechanical problems were fairly minor and things worked out fine except for the early delays and the very tough weather late Tuesday and Wed. I'm glad that the weather shaped up for the Memorial Day weekend as I know how many folks try to go across on the holidays! Bootle Bay was packed to capacity for the holiday weekend and Vida sent some great pictures of many of the customers enjoying the meals at the Lodge and just having a good time. Some great fish were caught just for good measure!
    I forgot to mention that we've also been lucky to find a spot north on Memory that seems to produce a few nice African pompano fairly consistently. Here is a shot of the latest. Hope everyone enjoyed the great weather over the holiday!
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Dennis,

That should teach to trust those "flying machines"

I would never trust one myself. :wink

You guys did very well and glad you got the OLD Uptick running. How's the NEW Uptick been running?

As you know with the pictures I sent, Bootle Bay was filled to capacity when we were there 3 weeks ago. :thumbsup

It was an interesting comment about Davis. I'm heading to Shanghai in the morning but will text you tonight and tell you about our "DAVIS" story.

All in all looks like a GREAT trip and I'm going to hold you to that Diet Coke!

Cheers buddy

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
    Hey Eric, good to hear from you. Funny about the "flying machines" Mr. Pilot! The new OM is awesome and gag grouper season FINALLY opens up on the West Coast of Florida soon! Our government regulators at work! May try to fish over on this side this weekend. Take care! Fill me in on your customs story when you can.
  • Osprey45Osprey45 Posts: 1,000 Officer
    Dennis great trip
    Finally got the Osprey in to Bootle a couple of weeks ago
    Pete

We spoke to the guys tied up to you the night before we got there.

The Viking looks impressive there!!!!!

I'm off from the 3rd till the 27th with he exception of test flying for NASA up at Langley Air Force Base on the 5-6

Lets get together buddy!!!!

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
    Awesome on getting that beautiful Viking into Bootle. I trust that all went well?? We are trying to head back over at the later part of June around 6/24. Diet Coke's or whatever on me!
  • StreamlinerStreamliner Posts: 57 Deckhand
    How is the channel depth holding up going in the cut? I remember it was good depth but pretty narrow, but I haven't been threough in a while.
    Fairly narrow as to how they set the pilings but water depth shouldn't be a problem. 5-6' minimum at low tide. You just have to real careful with big SW winds when coming in due to the narrow pilings.
    It was fun getting her in there but my butt will still be puckering if I try it at dead low.:crossed
    Unfortunately the splitter did not work we kept tripping one of the 30 amp breakers but we ran the genny all night no problem.
    Thinking of running over on Sunday am and spending the night at Bootle I have to call Vida and see if he has room.
    Osprey45 wrote: »
    It was fun getting her in there but my butt will still be puckering if I try it at dead low.:crossed
    Unfortunately the splitter did not work we kept tripping one of the 30 amp breakers but we ran the genny all night no problem.
    Thinking of running over on Sunday am and spending the night at Bootle I have to call Vida and see if he has room.

Pete,
    Yep, I would definitely call Vida as when we were there the day after you checked out, it was Jammed Packed Full!!! (keeping in mind it was weekdays and not a weekend) Jay is over there right now and you can probably get a report from him on Friday when he returns.

Dennis,
    I will try to shoot over towards the end of June to use up our 2nd entry but I do have a trip to Beijing on the 27th so if I do go over in June, it has to be like the 23-25 or so. I'll keep you posted.

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
    Eric
    I am hoping that was a weather related issue as it had been blowing for a while. But I will call Vida today.
    Are you in town or flying?
    I will ask Vida to check the breaker on the twin 30 amp pedestal. He may have already done so after your recent trip. Give Vida a call as I'm sure he will do his best to get you guys in if he can. Enjoy this seemingly good weather window!
    Pete

I get home on Friday night late from Shanghai NYC PBI.

Actually, the weather was beautiful and the Inn was full!!!!

I'm going to see if we can pull off a quick trip to see Dennis at the end of June.

Let me know how it goes buddy.

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
    Thanks all. Looking forward to running into you guys over there as we move through the rest of the year. We've currently got trips planned for late June, mid August and the latter part of September. I owe Eric a Diet Coke!
  • BocaBocaBocaBoca Posts: 607 Officer
    Nice to be able to respond to mech. challenges. Great post and pix. Thanks.
    Thanks. The ETEC G1 engines are fairly simple by today's standards and Jamie and the team at OBS Marine know them inside and out. That said, I am very pleased the with fuel efficiency of the pair of 300 HP G2's on the boat I have on the West Coast. Too early to tell about reliability of the G2's but so far so good! Headed out tomorrow as our regulators are actually going to allow us to keep a couple of gag groupers and ARS which are so thick (ARS) that on many spots you actually can't get a bait to the bottom. I guess they are endangered!