Home Off Topic

Daytona fishermen had to fight snowflakes to keep his catch FS quoted

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    cadman wrote: »
    He might have been going to use the skin. It goes as high as $100 a sq foot in some places. Here are some boots made from Stingray, $300 and up.

https://yeehawcowboy.com/collections/stingray-boots?gclid=CjsKDwjw6qnJBRDpoonDwLSeZhIkAIpTR8KQwPs8Ylbohkle8JXE4zUMIMesq9JTio6LfGd7TkZzGgIScPD_BwE

A pair of these make it all worthwhile.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,592 AG
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    A pair of these make it all worthwhile.

When did you join PETA? I assume you you don't own anything leather.

There are plenty of Stingrays in the ocean. For whatever reason the guy wanted it. It was his catch. They aren't endangered.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    Angler719 wrote: »
    This is what should have been done . The harassers should have been arrested or at least issued citations.

As Sportsmen you should understand your rights, and the laws involved with the activity you are involved in.

It is illegal to harass some one while they are legally fishing or hunting. The snowflakes should have been taught a lesson. The next time you take your kid fishing it could be you being harassed.

Good point. Those young men were physically, not just verbally, interfering with a legal take...and I seriously doubt that anyone in that group knew anything about protection laws and/or species of rays.

Almost as bizarre are the comments on here, while acknowledging the legality of the keep, are critical of the angler for doing so. Who cares what he does or does not do with the catch? I wouldn't even want to catch it let alone keep it, but the man doesn't have to justify his actions/morality to my satisfaction.

My pet fishing peeves are not about keeping legal catches - it's catching dozens of game fish in 60+ feet of water, or playing a fish to near death on too light tackle, then brag about sportsmanship because they 'released' them all.

But that's legal too.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

There are plenty of Stingrays in the ocean. For whatever reason the guy wanted it. It was his catch. They aren't endangered.

I previously agreed it is a legal catch, but dragging a 300 lb stingray along a public beach, especially if it's alive, is going to cause the fisherman some grief, and I'm ok with that too.

You or I have no idea what he plans to do with it, so I wouldn't speculate on boots, food, abandonment, or burying it in his back year for fertilizer.

Personally, I would not take a specimen of that size for any reason, but that's just me. A snowflake I suppose.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral

Totally agree with you however I doubt the guy was targeting stingrays for that purpose. Maybe it was for shark bait.

Anybody remember this story on FS. I 'm pretty sure this shark ended up buried in an orange grove ( not sure if MOTE Marine LAbs got it or not and I recall Capt. Bucky ended up regretting keeping it. had a bunch of pups in it). Not for sure there may have been a couple taken out of the pass that year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/27/us/27fish.html?mcubz=1

1,280-Pound Shark, on Ice, Tugs at Record

By ABBY GOODNOUGHMAY 27, 2006

MIAMI, May 26 — The enormous old shark is on ice now, sitting in a fish house freezer on the Gulf of Mexico. But Capt. Bucky Dennis is still reliving the hours he spent bringing it in, the likely record-breaking catch he had pursued for a decade.
    Captain Dennis, a fishing guide in Port Charlotte, caught the 1,280-pound, 14.5-foot hammerhead over nearly six hours Tuesday, during which the shark dragged his 23-foot skiff about 12 miles out to sea. It grabbed his bait, a hefty stingray, around noon in Boca Grande Pass, famous for tarpon fishing.
    "When the tarpon come, they come," Captain Dennis, 36, said of the hammerheads that skulk around the pass in May and June, when, for years, he has tried to land a big one. "Each year I learn a little bit more about them."
    As for why his sights were set on the hammerhead species — known among fishermen for its endurance — he said, "I was just trying to find a record that was feasible to break."
    Continue reading the main story

A fellow fisherman who came to Captain Dennis's assistance, Capt. Brian Hart of Port Richey, summed up his friend's obsession in an interview with The News-Press of Fort Myers: "That's all he cares about. He's ate up with it."
    The largest hammerhead on record with the International Game Fish Association was a 991-pounder caught off Sarasota in 1982. Captain Dennis, who usually catches snook, knew there were bigger ones out there, having glimpsed them prowling around tarpon-fishing charter boats. Two weeks ago, he said, he and some friends hooked a hammerhead he thinks was even larger than the one he eventually caught, but it escaped. The shark that gobbled Captain Dennis's stingray Tuesday was not so lucky.
    Photo27fish650.1.jpg

Bucky Dennis with the 14.5-foot hammerhead he caught in Boca Grande Pass off Florida. An onlooker, comparing the shark's length with Mr. Dennis's 23-foot boat, described the sight as "unbelievable."CreditDavid A. BrownCaptain Dennis was out trawling for a prize catch when he saw a charter boat "doing a doughnut " in the water, a tactic to scare off sharks stalking tarpon that have just been released. Sure enough, the giant hammerhead was under the charter boat, and when Captain Dennis tossed his bait in the water it approached.
    An hourslong battle ensued, as Captain Dennis let the hammerhead tire by pulling his boat farther and farther offshore. Several fishermen who heard about the catch on walkie-talkies came to help, sinking a gaff above the shark's dorsal fin about 5:30 p.m.
    "The rod stayed in my hand the entire time," said Captain Dennis, who would not qualify for a world record if anyone else helped bring in the shark. "I was thinking, 'Please don't let it get off, please don't let nothing happen.' "

the rest of the story http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/27/us/27fish.html?mcubz=1

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    It's a free country, people can say what they want. America's problem is too many stupid people.
    Freedom of speech is a two way street.
    And it's obvious the "stupid people" are the ignorant leftie snowflakes! Can't tell the difference between a Manta Ray and a sting ray!lol
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    They throw the 300 lb. Figure around. Was the Ray weighed?? I doubt it was 300 lbs.
    Especially the way he was dragging it around.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,119 Admiral
    So Finfinder is a snowflake :hairraiser
  • YnotjaxYnotjax Posts: 329 Deckhand
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    Had to fight snowflakes? That is one dumb *** comment

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    That fellow has the same rights as Capt. Mark the Shark I suppose, but his support here was pretty thin.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    It's a free country, people can say what they want. America's problem is too many stupid people.

Not exactly. You cannot yell "fire" in a crowded movie theatre( unl ss there is a fire)... harassment is harassment. Those "kids" had no right to put their hands on the rope. Call fwc if you have a problem, but you can't touch someone else's legal "property ". Makes me sick that so many feel entitled to do what ever they feel. What happened to minding your business. I'd like to see them charged for attempted theft.
    I had a neighbor from Korea and they said stingray was a big time delicacy for them. They ate the wings, but she loved the throats. Said it was better than grouper. There are a lot of stingrays in the water. If someone can make a few meals from a trash fish , then go ahead
    You should have been here yesterday
    That fellow has the same rights as Capt. Mark the Shark I suppose, but his support here was pretty thin.

I don't remember anyone here blocking his boat or physically trying to stop him from fishing.

Mini Mart Magnate

Not exactly. You cannot yell "fire" in a crowded movie theatre( unl ss there is a fire)... harassment is harassment. Those "kids" had no right to put their hands on the rope. Call fwc if you have a problem, but you can't touch someone else's legal "property ". Makes me sick that so many feel entitled to do what ever they feel. What happened to minding your business. I'd like to see them charged for attempted theft.
    I had a neighbor from Korea and they said stingray was a big time delicacy for them. They ate the wings, but she loved the throats. Said it was better than grouper. There are a lot of stingrays in the water. If someone can make a few meals from a trash fish , then go ahead

Please look at post #9
    Mister-Jr wrote:
    I don't agree with grabbing the rope from the fisherman, but I have no issue with the kids right to express their dissatisfaction to keep the catch.

When was the last time you had some nice, tasty, giant ****, stingray? :grin
  • 1982mako2241982mako224 Posts: 412 Deckhand
    Considering that this is a fishing and hunting website, I'm pretty disappointed that there is not 100% support for an angler keeping a legal catch. Who cares why the angler was keeping his catch? Its nobody's business!!!

To those not in support of the angler, there are probably some really cool metro-sexual or sewing websites you might enjoy better.
    there are probably some really cool metro-sexual or sewing websites you might enjoy better.

Mister is a member of all of them

Mini Mart Magnate

Considering that this is a fishing and hunting website, I'm pretty disappointed that there is not 100% support for an angler keeping a legal catch. Who cares why the angler was keeping his catch? Its nobody's business!!!

To those not in support of the angler, there are probably some really cool metro-sexual or sewing websites you might enjoy better.

When he decided to drag that animal along a public beach, he created his own problem. All the metros were angry!
    :mad
    Mister is a member of all of them

<
    snowflake
    Please look at post #9

Ok, I did what's your poin? Express dissatisfaction all you want, but don't touch another persons property. Would you feel better if he clubbed it to death before dragging it? It's a legal catch, totally within his rights to take it. He never broke the law, but the "kids" were harassing him and attempted to putt his property away from him. That is breaking the law. Those know it all kids should have to go stand in front of a judge

Please read my post, third from the top of the last page
    Please read my post, third from the top of the last page

I not only read it, I quoted it.
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    When he decided to drag that animal along a public beach, he created his own problem. All the metros were angry!
    :mad

Jr can you give a a scenario on how he could have kept his catch without creating "his own" problem?

Maybe he could have swam it back to the pier....well off shore so no ones "feelings" were involved?

CRABS!....that's it....crabs.He could have hired 500 stone crabs,paid them off in GULP and Blue whale blubber to do a secret mission and carry that ray back to his truck for him.....just so he wouldn't "create his own problem".

Funny that you can watch that video and say it's basically his fault.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Who cares?

There is no shortage of stingrays.
    I not only read it, I quoted it.

Express whatever you want. Don't touch another's property. Parents, teach your kids to keep their hands to themselves. There are some places in Florida where those kids would have been shot, seriously
    Jr can you give a a scenario on how he could have kept his catch without creating "his own" problem?

Maybe he could have swam it back to the pier....well off shore so no ones "feelings" were involved?

CRABS!....that's it....crabs.He could have hired 500 stone crabs,paid them off in GULP and Blue whale blubber to do a secret mission and carry that ray back to his truck for him.....just so he wouldn't "create his own problem".

Funny that you can watch that video and say it's basically his fault.

Ha ha... that's great
    tankard wrote: »
    Who cares?

There is no shortage of stingrays.

Absolutely, let the guy eat s stingray if he wants. Maybe that's a red or two that he doesn't need to keep now. Amazing what offends some people
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    He got one back for Steve Irwin
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,785 Admiral
    He got one back for Steve Irwin

LOL

Sometime one should consider how it's going to play out in public.

Like shooting a 'Celebrity' lion and posting photos on social media.

That was a lot of bother that the trophy collector could have avoided.

Reminds me of the time I was wearing a skin colored bathing suit and rappelling down beside a waterfall in a Alabama State Park.

Two State Patrol cars. Two County Deputies. And some kind of a Park Police. All show up and confront me. I ask if I needed a permit. They said no. I asked them what they wanted. They looked sort of sheepish and said that they had several calls about a naked man tying a vine to his feet and jumping off the waterfall. I just laughed and told them yeah there was but he already left on his magic carpet. Then I invited them to join me. They declined.

The public may be idiots but never underestimate the destructive power of large groups of stupid people.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • floridanativefloridanative Posts: 1,474 Officer

When was the last time you ordered scallops? Theres a good chance you were eating a tasty stingray or a delicious nurse shark.
    When was the last time you ordered scallops? Theres a good chance you were eating a tasty stingray or a delicious nurse shark.

hahah