Home Off Topic

Daytona fishermen had to fight snowflakes to keep his catch FS quoted

YnotjaxYnotjax Posts: 333 Deckhand
http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20170526/300-pound-stingray-causes-stir-in-daytona-beach-shores

DAYTONA BEACH SHORES — A fisherman caught a 300-pound stingray off the Sunglow Pier, but as he tried to wrangle it in, he also captured the attention of nearby beachgoers who urged him to let it go.

Volusia County Beach Safety Ocean Rescue responded to the scene after a group of juveniles began taunting the fisherman as he dragged the stingray, a legal catch, down the beach. There were no arrests or charges filed, but some kids were removed from the area in handcuffs, according to Capt. Mike Berard.

“It started to get ugly,” Berard said, adding that there may have been some misunderstanding about the species of animal. It is unlawful in Florida to harvest, possess, land, purchase, sell, or exchange manta rays, one of more than 40 protected animals in the state. Stingrays aren’t on that list.

“The fisherman had the right to catch it,” Berard said. “The crowd believed it was a manta ray, which is a protected species. A crowd started to build. Our guys went down there to disperse the crowd, some kids got verbal with the fisherman. There was some verbal exchanges and some taunting, but there was no arrest made.”

A video of the scuffle was captured by beachgoer Teresa Taylor Young and posted on the Facebook page “Free Daytona Beach.” She gave The News-Journal permission to use the video, which shows some youth engaging in a game of tug-of-war with the fisherman before Beach Safety officials arrived.

Stingrays, which can weigh more than 790 pounds, can be eaten, but are not a dietary staple and are not considered a high-quality food, according to the New World Encylopedia.

However, the website FloridaSportsman.com, said they taste similar to scallops and aren’t difficult to clean. They also have other uses, as the skin can be used as leather to make shoes, boots, belts, wallets, jackets, and cellphone cases, according to the New World Encyclopedia.

Replies

• FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    Ynotjax wrote: »
    http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20170526/300-pound-stingray-causes-stir-in-daytona-beach-shores

DAYTONA BEACH SHORES — A fisherman caught a 300-pound stingray off the Sunglow Pier, but as he tried to wrangle it in, he also captured the attention of nearby beachgoers who urged him to let it go.

Volusia County Beach Safety Ocean Rescue responded to the scene after a group of juveniles began taunting the fisherman as he dragged the stingray, a legal catch, down the beach. There were no arrests or charges filed, but some kids were removed from the area in handcuffs, according to Capt. Mike Berard.

“It started to get ugly,” Berard said, adding that there may have been some misunderstanding about the species of animal. It is unlawful in Florida to harvest, possess, land, purchase, sell, or exchange manta rays, one of more than 40 protected animals in the state. Stingrays aren’t on that list.

“The fisherman had the right to catch it,” Berard said. “The crowd believed it was a manta ray, which is a protected species. A crowd started to build. Our guys went down there to disperse the crowd, some kids got verbal with the fisherman. There was some verbal exchanges and some taunting, but there was no arrest made.”

A video of the scuffle was captured by beachgoer Teresa Taylor Young and posted on the Facebook page “Free Daytona Beach.” She gave The News-Journal permission to use the video, which shows some youth engaging in a game of tug-of-war with the fisherman before Beach Safety officials arrived.

Stingrays, which can weigh more than 790 pounds, can be eaten, but are not a dietary staple and are not considered a high-quality food, according to the New World Encylopedia.

However, the website FloridaSportsman.com, said they taste similar to scallops and aren’t difficult to clean. They also have other uses, as the skin can be used as leather to make shoes, boots, belts, wallets, jackets, and cellphone cases, according to the New World Encyclopedia.

Will be interesting how this thread turns out. Its lawful and I understand, that however I don't find anything "sportsman like" in keeping a 300 lb ray. We don't live in Cambodia, we have a Publix and Target on every corner to feed and cloth ourselves, this is just an excuse to be a gluttonous pig.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,066 Captain
    And the second post is someone crying about a fellow fisherman doing something completely legal. Congrats Fin, you hold the new record for whining. As far as it goes, I'm pretty sure you don't need any fish you catch for food, and/or you could get it from Publix. You obviously know where they are located.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,633 Admiral
    That fight must have been a long, drawn out, bore fest. I've caught sting rays that were no more than 2'-2-1/2' wide and it took forever to bring them in as they keep trying to bury themselves in the sand, and I was using fairly heavy pier fishing setups.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,549 AG
    Tarpon65 wrote: »
    That fight must have been a long, drawn out, bore fest. I've caught sting rays that were no more than 2'-2-1/2' wide and it took forever to bring them in as they keep trying to bury themselves in the sand, and I was using fairly heavy pier fishing setups.

Exactly, if it weighed that much and he brought it in he deserved to keep it, I would have stopped and taken a nap.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    Finfinder wrote: »
    Will be interesting how this thread turns out. Its lawful and I understand, that however I don't find anything "sportsman like" in keeping a 300 lb ray. We don't live in Cambodia, we have a Publix and Target on every corner to feed and cloth ourselves, this is just an excuse to be a gluttonous pig.

Maybe he knows something that you and I don't?
    I wouldn't keep it, but perhaps he has a need or a method for preparation. "Ray jerky"?
    I learned a long time ago that cow nosed rays are inedible....this guy night need to learn that....the hard way.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    What a bunch of whining tree hugging creeps. It is and was a legal catch and the pansies should have kept to their own business.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • NoeetticaNoeettica Posts: 2,300 Captain
    Hey i shoot Raccoons Get to F%$K over it !!!

good on him !!!
    want to know about my Gheenoes Go Here

http://www.noeettica.com/
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    fins4me wrote: »
    What a bunch of whining tree hugging creeps. It is and was a legal catch and the pansies should have kept to their own business.

I don't agree with grabbing the rope from the fisherman, but I have no issue with the kids right to express their dissatisfaction to keep the catch.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    pottydoc wrote: »
    And the second post is someone crying about a fellow fisherman doing something completely legal. Congrats Fin, you hold the new record for whining. As far as it goes, I'm pretty sure you don't need any fish you catch for food, and/or you could get it from Publix. You obviously know where they are located.

Funny, I totally expected personal attacks from my comments, that's why I said "let's see how this goes", I also said it was lawful. You have the record of being the first overreacting knuckle dragger, like the snowflake liberals, agree with me all or nothing. Not that I need to prove anything to you but to enlighten you. I keep a few fish now and then, just what I'm going to eat and I have fought for anglers rights to harvest what is lawful. That is not being a tree hugger, it is being a "sportsman" in my opinion. You nor I speak for the entire FS community as the article attempts to use one side of an opinion, taken from comments posted here before.
  • YnotjaxYnotjax Posts: 333 Deckhand
    Link to the FS article

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2012/08/13/cooking-stingray-and-skates/

Stingray scallops, sounds good.

Next time you crank up a stingray instead of your intended catch, don’t cuss it, eat it. Yes, you can cook stingray and skates. As unappetizing as they look, and as weird as their anatomy seems, stingrays (skates too) aren’t much harder to clean than your usual table varieties. And, yes, they make delicious dinners.

Do they taste like scallops? You bet. Do some Florida restaurants serve them as scallops? I doubt it. The procurement of stingray “scallops” in restaurant quantity would cost more than buying the real thing. But it’s a good topic for debate at the dockside bar.

In my estimation, the perfect size stingray for the table is one with a wingspan of around 18 inches to two feet. Smaller ones don’t yield enough meat to make the effort worthwhile and those with a span much greater than two feet tend to be stringy and tough, although the fillets can still be quite good if parboiled or baked.

You’ll find suggested recipes on this page, but let me hasten to assure you that fillets from a two-foot stingray can be cooked in any way you prefer. Sautéed is my favorite style, but I have also enjoyed them fried and grilled.

If you are skilled at filleting flounders you won’t have much trouble transferring your talent to stingrays, for the procedure is nearly identical, the difference being that rays have cartilage in place of bones. Here’s how to proceed:
    With the ray lying flat on the cleaning table, poke with your finger to find the line where the tender wing joins the hard back. Using a sharp knife, slice downward along that line from front to back, just deep enough to reach the cartilage.

Next, turn the knife blade flat and work it along the top of the cartilage out toward the wingtip—just like separating the fillet from the bones of a typical fish. Do the same for the opposite wing.

Now turn the ray on its back and fillet the undersides of both wings in the same manner. The bottom fillets will be thinner and smaller—but good. The final step is to skin the four fillets by running the knife between flesh and skin.
    An alternate cleaning method is possible, and perhaps preferable when working with a pretty large ray, say one with a three-foot wingspan or greater. Here you simply cut off the wing, place it in a pot, and simmer it for about 30 minutes. Unless you have a very big pot, you’ll need to cut the wing in half. Once parboiled, the skin comes off rather easily. Neither is it difficult to scrape the meat away from the cartilage.

You can kill two birds with one stone by adding spices or other flavorings to the water in which you parboil the wing, and once you flavor it up you can refer to the water as court bouillon. Many cookbooks, including (blush) my own Angler’s Cookbook includes recipes for court bouillons. An easy and delicious one calls for adding salt and pepper, plus a couple of lemon slices and a half-cup of white wine or a quarter-cup of vinegar to each two cups of water.

Boiled ray meat lends itself to many scrumptious treatments. In small bits, it is as good as crabmeat or bay scallops in cold salads and pasta sauces. In slabs or slices it needs only a quick searing on each side, plus your pet sauce, to become a barbecue treat.

Years ago, long before I ever (knowingly) sampled a stingray, yet another system of preparation was described to me. The myth of stingray-for-scallop substitution in restaurants was widespread at the time, so it sounded logical to me. This method requires a sort of cookie cutter made by sharpening the edge of a two-inch iron pipe with a file or grinding wheel. When hammered though the wing of a ray, the makeshift cutter produces a neat plug of meat which, after the skin is sliced away, might pass as a scallop—in taste only. Anyone who falls for the masquerade is bound to get wise when they bite into the cartilage. On the other hand, you still might fool your guests with the accompanying recipe for mock scallops.

MOCK SCALLOPS

2 stingray wings, filleted, skinned, cubed
    2 eggs beaten
    1 cup plain bread crumbs (more if needed)
    Salt and pepper
    Garlic powder

Cubes from the thickest portion of the wing are best for this treatment, although thinner parts are good too. Sprinkle cubes lightly or to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Dip cubes in beaten egg, then in bread crumbs. Fry at about 350 degrees until golden brown.

STINGRAY WITH CAPERS

2 stingray fillets (appr. 11⁄2 lbs. total)
    2 oz. butter
    3 tbsp. drained capers
    2 tbsp. vinegar from the capers

Place ray fillets in a shallow pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender (or use ray meat already parboiled per directions in the article). Melt butter in a small saucepan and cook until it turns brown. Add the capers and vinegar and heat until bubbling. Drain the fillets, place on a warm platter, pour the sauce over all and serve immediately. Serves 5 or 6.

BROILED STINGRAY

Stingray fillets, about 1 to 11⁄2 lbs.
    2 oz. melted butter
    2 tbsp. lemon juice
    1⁄2 tsp. dried parsley
    1⁄8 tsp. paprika
    1⁄4 tsp. ground white pepper
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,189 Captain
    Too bad that rays tail didn't get one of them. Was "300 pounds" verified? Looks about 80 to me.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,671 AG
    Maybe he just wanted the skin. They make nice boots from what I hear.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,161 Captain
    So some kids picked a fight with a man capable of dragging a 300lb stingray. Is gravity different around that pier?

The officers should have arrested or ticketed anybody that touched that rope as harassment is illegal. I understand game wardens have a tough job but that was a great situation to teach the snowflakes harassment is illegal.

Read about the law.
    http://www.floridasportsman.com/2005/12/01/features_051258/
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    but I have no issue with the kids right to express their dissatisfaction to keep the catch.

And that is one of the biggest problems with people today........they "feel" so it must be okay to use their "freedom of speech" rights??

Frickin pansies is what that is.

Guy did nothing wrong....the kids should have been taught to mind their own bizzwhacks.....but nope...they have "feelings" so their actions are justified.

One of Americas biggest problems....well the entire planet basically.......people don't know how to keep their mouth's shut.......and it's the easiest thing to do!
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,361 Officer
    And that is one of the biggest problems with people today........they "feel" so it must be okay to use their "freedom of speech" rights??

Guy did nothing wrong....the kids should have been taught to mind their own bizzwhacks.....but nope...they have "feelings" so their actions are justified.

One of Americas biggest problems....well the entire planet basically.......people don't know how to keep their mouth's shut.......and it's the easiest thing to do!
    Well said!
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,372 Admiral
    I would not have kept it cause I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. If he does, more power to him. Go for it. I would like to eat one but never had anyone I know keep one.

It's a free country, people can say what they want. America's problem is too many stupid people.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Based on the size it seems people thought it was a mantra ray.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    It's a free country, people can say what they want. America's problem is too many stupid people.

Stupid usually begins with the mouth.

Wonder what my momma would have done if i "said what i wanted" while growing up.

Being a free country has nadda zip zilch to do with it.

Perfect scenario for ya.......some guy is fishin.....catches some thing......some one else "feels" because they wouldn't keep it he shouldn't either.......whats the FIRST thing to happen???

They open their not knowin nuttin mouf.

I agree with you though....too many stupid people.....but the other side of that is it starts with their mouth.....being stupid that is.

You don't think the kids that thought that round stingray was a mantaray were stupid?

I don't think they were stupid for not knowing the difference between the two.....i think they were stupid when they opened.....yep.....you guessed it......their mouth.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
    I don't know what the kids thought, but the lightly educated dupe, dragging that thing across a public beach should have expected a reaction.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    It's all about the bragging rights.

It will probably be destroyed after photos are taken.

Sad.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    Menzies wrote: »
    It's all about the bragging rights.

It will probably be destroyed after photos are taken.

Sad.

I have no issues with people that catch legal fish and keep what they want for the the table, but that guy was not going to eat 200 lbs of stingray. Moron.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,372 Admiral
    Menzies wrote: »
    Based on the size it seems people thought it was a mantra ray.

Yes but a Manta looks Nothing Like a Singray.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    Oh the irony of conservatives getting all indignant over some not minding their own business.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,970 Admiral
    Who say what they want...

Not only in America, also here we have a lot of stupids who don't know rules and laws but contest lawful fishermen and hunters.
    It seems that molesting outdoor guys it's great to appear "cool" on the social media.
    As you said too many stupid people around and yes, at least 90% of them are snowflakes.
    Marketing power :rolleyes
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • Angler719Angler719 CrawfordvillePosts: 531 Officer
    H20dad wrote: »
    So some kids picked a fight with a man capable of dragging a 300lb stingray. Is gravity different around that pier?

The officers should have arrested or ticketed anybody that touched that rope as harassment is illegal. I understand game wardens have a tough job but that was a great situation to teach the snowflakes harassment is illegal.

Read about the law.
    http://www.floridasportsman.com/2005/12/01/features_051258/

This is what should have been done . The harassers should have been arrested or at least issued citations.

As Sportsmen you should understand your rights, and the laws involved with the activity you are involved in.

It is illegal to harass some one while they are legally fishing or hunting. The snowflakes should have been taught a lesson. The next time you take your kid fishing it could be you being harassed.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    What is it with rays that makes tree hungers crazy?.....check out this video of a totally unrelated case that happened in California a few years ago. ***Caution some Rough Language.....:rotflmao

• BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,970 Admiral
    :rotflmao

Anyway fish should be killed immediately when kept...

Why stingray and not other fish ?
    Cartoons: mantas and stingrays are often funny character in this kind of film :rolleyes
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 790 Officer
    IMHO, what is he going to do with a 300 pound sting ray, clean it on the beach??????? Filet it or what for NOT so good meat, have it mounted for his wall at home, or maybe legitimate reason he was hungry trying to feed his family, if not WHY KILL a animal for fun, legal or not.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,671 AG
    I have no issues with people that catch legal fish and keep what they want for the the table, but that guy was not going to eat 200 lbs of stingray. Moron.

He might have been going to use the skin. It goes as high as $100 a sq foot in some places. Here are some boots made from Stingray, $300 and up.

https://yeehawcowboy.com/collections/stingray-boots?gclid=CjsKDwjw6qnJBRDpoonDwLSeZhIkAIpTR8KQwPs8Ylbohkle8JXE4zUMIMesq9JTio6LfGd7TkZzGgIScPD_BwE

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement.