Home Off Topic

Ford mechanics - Timing question

Scout3Scout3 Posts: 154 Deckhand
Helping friends son get f150 with 4.9 back on road. He had the timing 180 out. We did a static timing and it fired right up. Tried to do the timing with my timing light. When we disconnect the "spout connector" there is no change in the timing mark or engine rpm. If the PCM and the wiring are good shouldn't we see some kind of change? Not familiar with this engine but I think we have other issues. Thanks for any help.

Ed

Replies

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,782 Admiral
    timing light?

I thought those went out with bias ply tires?

haven't worked on cars in years

thought it was all done on a computer now
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    You may want to try the F-150 forum, Lots of good info over there. I'm sure someone can help you out.
    FYIWFG
  • Scout3Scout3 Posts: 154 Deckhand
    already posted on several f150 forums. Havent got a response. I know there are a few Ford mechanics on this forum. Hoping one would chime in.
    what year is the motor?
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,579 AG
    Gardawg wrote: »
    timing light?

I thought those went out with bias ply tires?

haven't worked on cars in years

thought it was all done on a computer now

I still own one. But like you, I was not aware they were used any more.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,408 Admiral
    When your SPOUT Jumper is out your computer is in Closed Loop. With the SPOUT Jumper in, your computer will try to go into Open Loop. What I am trying to say is that when the SPOUT is OUT, you've taken computer control away of timing and mixture.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/runs-great-without-spout-connector-109396/
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    replace your tfi module

The TFI ignition module controls the spark on your car's engine, but when it fails it can cause multiple problems. Things got so bad with TFI failures that there was a class action lawsuit in the early 2000s. As ominous as this sounds, take heart in knowing that the worst of the issue is resolved by now. Still, the TFI can fail just like any other electrical part. Here is important information that you need to know about the Ford TFI module.

What is a TFI module?

TFI stands for Thick Film Ignition. The module itself consists of some solid state electronic components suspended in a thick, clear electrolytic film, hence the name TFI.

What is the TFI module's function?

The TFI module (also known as a spark module) is necessary to control the spark output of the ignition system via the EEC (electronic engine control) computer. A signal from the TFI module is sent to the EEC and the computer then controls the spark to the spark plugs. It is a very necessary and vital component of the entire EEC-IV engine management system.

Where is the TFI module located?

Depending upon the engine configuration, the module is usually found on the distributor itself, on the front of the motor:

or you could just spit in the back and whomp on it

maxresdefault.jpg

• Scout3Scout3 Posts: 154 Deckhand
    Thanks for all the replies. I am not sure what year the motor is and this whole truck is a Frankenstien. It has had a lot of wires cut and spliced. I hate working on something like this because you can never tell what was done but I am trying to help a friends young son out. I have read just about everything on the net about the spout circuit. I guess I can assume that it is not working as it is supposed to. I set the timing with the spout connector out and the timing does not change when plugged back in. I believe when you plug it back in the computer takes over and should advance the timing by 20 degrees or so. I guess I have to trace out the wires and see what I can find. The TFI module has already been changed.
    Scout3 wrote: »
    this whole truck is a Frankenstien.

Hook it up to a lightning rod ...

tumblr_inline_oj1yd10c7a1tgu8cz_540.gif