Home Off Topic

Help.....I can't get a job!

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Actually, under the law of the land, you do bear responsibility, albeit indirectly. Beecause, thankfully, our forefathers saw fit not to withhold support because of how someone looks or how someone chooses to express themselves.

And I'm not quite sure how asking a question can be correct or incorrect, but your answer seems to indicate you might feel the same as the person to whom I was posting those questions.

But let's try a slightly different scenario....

What about if someone loses their eyesight after piercing their eyebrow? Should they not be privy to government assistance? After all, if someone willfully destroys their appearance for their own selfish pleasure society shouldn't bear responsibility for it. Right?

Or how about this one....

What about if someone loses their ability to walk because they eat too much and have become too obese. Should they not be privy to government assistance? After all, what they did was willful, it destroyed themselves, and they did it for their own selfish pleasure.

If I'm following your logic, in both of these cases you should say they should not get any government assistance because, after all, people must live with the consequences of their actions. However, I suspect you don't really believe that, and I'm sure you'll come up with all sorts of reasons to justify essentially enforcing your beliefs on others.

To be honest, I don't think either of you have really thought this through.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    We have way more "social responsibility " now than the few producers left in our nation can pay for as it is. Some fool who chooses to make himself an outcast by self mutilation has made his or her own bed. They can enjoy their time in it without taxpayer help.

They have every right to do as they please in this regard. Society also has the right to let them reap what they have sown.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    What society do you live in?

Because here in the USA you are compelled, by law and taxes, to support them.

What's even worse, if you choose to willfully disregard the consequences of breaking the law by, for instance, not paying your taxes, those "few producers left" have a responsibility to support you as you pay back your debt to society if you are incarcerated in the process.

Funny how society works, isn't it?

You have to support that guy, and we have to support you for not supporting him.

But, of course, you'd never do that, because you don't really mean what you say. It just makes to feel better to say it, as wrong as it is.

And, thankfully, none of you get to decide....

Because, you see, there are all sorts of people in this country that don't think like you, don't look like you, and don't express themselves the same as you. We are a stronger country because of it. And we'd be even stronger if you, and others like you, could just get past your judgement of others based on how they choose to express themselves.

I'm not holding my breath....
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,430 Admiral
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    I missed the part where he were looking for sympathy or expressed regret.

Help.....I can't get a job!
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,069 Captain
    I owned a plumbing business for a lot of years. We had a new construction and a service division. I promise you some tatted and pierced up guy would have zero chance of getting hired as a service tech. And very little chance at a new construction job. We would have lost service customers one after another. I don't care what the guy does to himself, but I'm not going to lose business because of it. As for the piercings, on the new construction side, some of them are safety hazards depending on where they are located. Take them out, leave them home, go to work. Leave them in, go home and look for another job. I'm not going to get hit with crazy workers comp rates, or some goofball lawsuit because I allowed a guy to work unsafe.
    So now tattoos and piercings are safety hazards?

Only on FS forum!

But nobody is telling you or even asking you to hire them.

The question at hand is government assistance being withheld.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Tarponator wrote: »

Only on FS forum!

You have obviously never worked around high voltage or machinery. Metal piercings and even jewelry can be deadly.
    And nowhere in our Constitution or any founding documents is it stated that the government has to support anyone financially. Especially those who subscribe to self mutilation.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,701 AG

Why did y'all break up?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    mustang190 wrote: »
    You have obviously never worked around high voltage or machinery. Metal piercings and even jewelry can be deadly.
    And nowhere in our Constitution or any founding documents is it stated that the government has to support anyone financially. Especially those who subscribe to self mutilation.
    Dead on mustang. Plus, I specifically said piercings when I was talking about safety. And, the origins post was about finding a job. I didn't mention the government supporting anyone at all.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    Wearing the I'm with stupid red trucker hats has the same affect.
    High voltage is a concern when fixing or installing toilets?

I've learned something new today.
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,382 Captain

Only on FS forum!

Many tree companies require NO jewelry . No wedding rings, no wrist watch, no necklace,

Ex wifes father had a safety poster showing a ring finger AND tendons hanging from a tree branch
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
    High voltage is a concern when fixing or installing toilets?

I've learned something new today.
    I didn't say anything about high voltage, Mustang did. And, he is correct. And you might want to notice the "commercial" in my post. The danger with us would be getting a piercing caught in a tool, a lift, a excavator, on studs, or a myriad of other things. You want to keep showing your total lack of knowledge on commercial and residential construction, or are you done now? Looking like an idiot would be what kept a tatted, pierced guy off my service crews. Just like being dirty, smelling bad, having a mouth full of rotten teeth, or not being neat in appearance would. These guys are representing their company when they go in someone's house. The impression they make has just as much impact as the price of the service. You should probably stick to fishing for tarpon, instead of lamely commenting on things you don't know anything about.
    hatcity wrote: »
    Many tree companies require NO jewelry . No wedding rings, no wrist watch, no necklace,

Ex wifes father had a safety poster showing a ring finger AND tendons hanging from a tree branch
    Hat, our liability and WC carrier requires us to not allow our employees to wear any kind of jewelry or other item that can get tangled. Plain rings like a wedding band are excluded, as are safety glasses and the cloth bands we wear with job ID badges on them. Those bands, and the neck strap on the safety glasses have clips that will pop loose if they get hung up in something. A bunch of the requirements we have today, are not from OSHA, but from the insurance companies writing WC and liability insurance. But Tarpon wouldn't know that.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    pottydoc wrote: »
    Hat, our liability and WC carrier requires us to not allow our employees to wear any kind of jewelry or other item that can get tangled. Plain rings like a wedding band are excluded, as are safety glasses and the cloth bands we wear with job ID badges on them. Those bands, and the neck strap on the safety glasses have clips that will pop loose if they get hung up in something. A bunch of the requirements we have today, are not from OSHA, but from the insurance companies writing WC and liability insurance. But Tarpon wouldn't know that.

Not just from insurance companies but from previous experience! If anyone has ever seen what happens to someone who gets zapped wearing a good necklace it ain't a pretty site !
    Or a ring finger detached with the tendons pulled out.
    Please teach me more about the wonderful world of plumbing.

Does your plumbing insurance company care about tattoos?

If not, why not?

Could it be that tattoos don't affect safety in any way and they don't make it a practice of withholding services based on how someone looks?

Imagine that.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,198 AG
    "affect"
    Warning Level 2
    Please continue.
    Warning Level 2
    Yeah, thanks. I caught that as you were posting.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    Im so going to do this to myself this weekend.
    Yeah, thanks. I caught that as you were posting.

I'm also with the:

mattress-police-77068112.jpg
    Warning Level 2
    Please teach me more about the wonderful world of plumbing.

Does your plumbing insurance company care about tattoos?

If not, why not?

Could it be that tattoos don't affect safety in any way and they don't make it a practice of withholding services based on how someone looks?

Imagine that.
    Can you read English? I kind of doubt it, being as that in my first post I plainly said that piercings were safety issues. Then pointed it out to you in another post. Please copy and paste for me where I said tats were a safety issue. I'll bet you can't. Actually, you probably can sound out the words on the page, though, but you obviously have issues with your comprehension. I typed this post reeeeaaalll slowly, though, so maybe you will be able to understand what you read. Or, maybe you can get your mommy to explain it to you. And if you believe for a second that any service company is not going to have an issue with an employee who is covered with visible tats, then you continue to show your complete lack of knowledge on the subject. The key words there is covered and visible. Make sure you look them up if you have an issue with what they mean.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,734 AG
    Can you read English? I kind of doubt it, being as that in my first post I plainly said that piercings were safety issues. Then pointed it out to you in another post. Please copy and paste for me where I said tats were a safety issue. I'll bet you can't. Actually, you probably can sound out the words on the page, though, but you obviously have issues with your comprehension. I typed this post reeeeaaalll slowly, though, so maybe you will be able to understand what you read. Or, maybe you can get your mommy to explain it to you. And if you believe for a second that any service company is not going to have an issue with an employee who is covered with visible tats, then you continue to show your complete lack of knowledge on the subject. The key words there is covered and visible. Make sure you look them up if you have an issue with what they mean.

I know a plumber locally who has a couple of guys working for him with visible tats on the arms and neck. One of my local beer distributors has a driver with visible tats, his was arms, hands, and neck. The face tattoo is still a no go for most employers, especially to the extent that guy in the OP is done, but I have seen guys with visible tats that would have made them a no hire 10 years ago, getting good jobs these days. I think it is getting harder to find good employees and some places are relaxing their requirements concerning Tattoos. I see more and more people in the service industry with visible tats.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    Perhaps the fellow can learn to use a telephone or a computer to make a living?
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,380 Admiral
    cadman wrote: »
    I know a plumber locally who has a couple of guys working for him with visible tats on the arms and neck. One of my local beer distributors has a driver with visible tats, his was arms, hands, and neck. The face tattoo is still a no go for most employers, especially to the extent that guy in the OP is done, but I have seen guys with visible tats that would have made them a no hire 10 years ago, getting good jobs these days. I think it is getting harder to find good employees and some places are relaxing their requirements concerning Tattoos. I see more and more people in the service industry with visible tats.

I remember when beards were a no go as well. Now half my crew has one.

I can read English quite well, thanks.

My question was an attempt to get you back on topic. I clearly failed in that attempt. However, you seem oddly upset by it.

Do you need a hug?...Mike

p.s. my electrician has two arms full of tattoos, and does superb work. The last tat-free plumber was a lazy SOB. Maybe I should look for more tattoos next time my toilet backs up or water heater needs replacing.
    SAENole wrote: »
    I'm also with the:

mattress-police-77068112.jpg

Are you the guy that arrests me for taking the labels off my mattresses? :willynilly

If so, I'm guilty as charged. :)
    I can read English quite well, thanks.

My question was an attempt to get you back on topic. I clearly failed in that attempt. However, you seem oddly upset by it.

Do you need a hug?...Mike

p.s. my electrician has two arms full of tattoos, and does superb work. The last tat-free plumber was a lazy SOB. Maybe I should look for more tattoos next time my toilet backs up or water heater needs replacing.
    The original post was on the guy not being able to get a job. Taxpayers supporting him was off topic. And your line about getting me back on topic is just bs. As far as being upset, nope, and never have been, or will be upset over anything on line. I got a lot more important things to do to care much about what keyboard commandos, and guys who think a big post count somehow makes it them important. And just to clarify, I'm talking about people who look like he guy in the op. Not someone with a few tats. While I don't care for them myself, and have no interest in getting one, I know some folks with some really cool looking tats.
    Clearly, you're pleased and have better things to do. My bad.

And nice back peddle from "visible", by the way.

Let's be clear: I could care less how many posts or tats you have. It doesn't affect (or is it effect? SAE, help a brother out) me one bit. I don't judge people by how they look but rather their words and actions.

Others, including the people to whom I was responding to originally, apparently believe quite to the contrary. Which was, of course, my reason for responding with a question in the first place (see post #28).

Regardless, I still think you need a hug, and I'm here for you if you need me. :blowkiss

Take care....Mike
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,430 Admiral
    Me thinks someone has a lot of tattoos and someone else has none.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.