Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

May 21

Ok, seeing as we seem to have lost the Kid, I will post a report for Sunday. Put in @ Goodland before 0700, breeze was just starting to blow. Ran back a couple of bays to fish a hole on the early incoming with a SuperSpook Jr. No follows, no takers and the water was coming up pretty high already.

Ran out front and continued with the Spook Jr and followed a shoreline around back to a flat with a couple of creeks running out onto it. In the past I had been fishing right up into the creeks rather than the flat in front of the creek mouth so this time I cast onto the flat about 10 yards in front of the mouth and hooked up immediately. A 24" redfish and I wrestled for a few minutes before I put him in the cooler. Followed the shore around for a bit, by this time I had given up on the Spook and switched out to a Yozuri flat crank 'cause the water was so high. I got bit again but failed to set the hook and lost the redfish about 5 seconds into the battle.

The water was pretty high, high by now so I ran into the back again. Fished for about an hour with only a snapper to show for my efforts.

Back at the ramp by 1100. Tide had turned and was working against the wind so it was a little bumpy in the pass. I know, I know, a pretty weak report but there it is AND I had redfish for dinner:grin

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,243 Officer
    Thanks for your report.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Caxambas KidCaxambas Kid Posts: 224 Deckhand
    Noble One.......I'm back!
    Lots of stuff going on. Broke up with the girlfriend, buddy from high school got married and then Mothers Day.
    Did get out on a solo trip Saturday. Water was 80.6 at 7am. Wanted to fish the beach but 2-foot rollers made me go back inside. Caught a short trout on a topwater on 2nd cast. Started throwing a blue 5-inch Yo-Zuri and tore up the sailcats. Yup, caught 6 over the course of the trip. Naughty words!
    Went into the Morgan River a caught a few jacks/ladyfish. Did lose a keeper trout (estimate 17") on a shrimp/cork.
    Started to empty the tackle box throwing everything. Went to a 4" white swim bait and tossed it towards the mangroves. It sunk maybe a foot and I felt a little tick. My accounting professor told me "hook sets are free", so I leaned back. Finally, nice weight. Big snook rolls and heads away from me. 30 pound leader/20 pound power pro. Get her turned and she runs at me. Near the boat, she just gives up. Into the net she goes and 4 pictures of linesider, she goes back into the water. 36" inches and very thick. A few more jacks/ladyfish and that was it.
    Got real windy and early in the day, salt water mosquito's were tough! Even in a 15mph winds, I was slapping the arms and legs.
    Will be out again Sunday before amateur hour.
    It's good to be back on the board!
    Sorry for the delayed report. This single life is quite different! (ps, will be fishing with the Ex Sunday as I am a nice guy)
    Polar 1900 Yamaha 115
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,645 Captain
    Man the mosquitos could carry you away sunday morning, the ramp looked like a bunch of kung fu fighters running around LOL..... Great reports guys... We launched out of calusa to find my livewell pump decided sunday was her last day....Oh well, cant keep any live bait...Off we went and loaded up on some lady fish.......The went and anchored up in a outside pass just north of white horse key.
    Set up a chum line and got out out some cut bait on 2 rods....Didnt take long before the drag was ripping......Total was 6 shark hook ups landing 3 that were between 30-50lbs.....Had 1 on that nearly spooled us before the line popped......And 2 of the biggest sail cats i have ever seen......My son had a blast and thats what counted for me.

Leaving for vaca tomorrow but will be back on the water late next week!! Tight lines all!!
    Jason :USA