Home Fly Fishing

Bonefish in Bahamas

DirtyTailDirtyTail Posts: 40 Deckhand
My fiancee and I are heading to Abaco Bahamas for our honeymoon later in June. I plan on wading some flats near our cottage when I can with the fly rod for bonefish...ive never gone after bonefish. If anyone could help me out with what might be the better flies to throw I would appreciate it. Ill be tying my own flies soon for the trip...trying to find time with all the wedding planning. I have a clear WF8 wt line that i believe is a slow sinker but ill definitely get a backup as well, possibly a WF8F clear line. Ive seen different colors of fly line for tropics and sand flats....does anyone have advice on different lines or is clear the way to go.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 283 Deckhand
    Only Floating for sight, flats wading. Wulff Tropical with 30 foot head or Wulff Bermuda Shorts with 24 foot head ...quick shots...short range usually under 60...over dark bottom difficulty visual beyond 40 feet...spooky on white sand drop fly about 15 feet in front hope they track true then long slow strip when about two feet from fly...rod tip on the water. Flies Gotchas or Charlies 4-6 and Clousers 2-6 white and tan small and medium lead eyes...big fish(8 lbs plus) are easier in deeper water 3 feet plus but much harder to see at depth when wading.
  • DirtyTailDirtyTail Posts: 40 Deckhand
    tarpon41 wrote: »
    Only Floating for sight, flats wading. Wulff Tropical with 30 foot head or Wulff Bermuda Shorts with 24 foot head ...quick shots...short range usually under 60...over dark bottom difficulty visual beyond 40 feet...spooky on white sand drop fly about 15 feet in front hope they track true then long slow strip when about two feet from fly...rod tip on the water. Flies Gotchas or Charlies 4-6 and Clousers 2-6 white and tan small and medium lead eyes...big fish(8 lbs plus) are easier in deeper water 3 feet plus but much harder to see at depth when wading.

Thanks tarpon41 for the great feedback. I was in the wrong thought for the fly line and will need to check those out. I appreciate your feedback, ill need to tie up some flies soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk