Charlotte Harbor to the Dry Tortugas May 17th Fishing 156 miles

Dumped the boat in the water Wed morning and headed 156 miles to the Tortugas. Perfect condition on the way there. Bait everywhere, gorgeous water, smooth seas. Chop picked up about 30 miles out from Tortugas but it was still nice.

We went hoping to find the hog fish as we have in the years past but they were no where to be found. Searched for hours and hours. Even put someone behind the boat with a mask on and trolled for hours couldnt find a single one. Don't know where they were.

We did some bottom fishing and caught a mixed bag. Lot's of yellow tail, strawberry grouper, red grouper, some big gray snapper. Then the Sharks moved in and boy did they move in. ...Landed a couple well over 200 pounds and then absolutely got spanked by a couple of big ones. Got spooled on 100 pound test and then he broke the steel leader. There are some big boys there. About as quick as you threw in a chunk of fish a shark was picking it up...No pics of the big sharks as it was a 2 person show to get them released.

On the way in my brother saw a cuda and said he had never caught one so we spent a couple hours hammering the cudas on light tackle. That was a blast. Always fun and they put on a show.

Sat at the dock and caught a few snapper for dinner every night. Fish tacos! Jew fish and bull sharks were cruising by constantly.

On the way home we chased some birds and I finially caught a Gulf of Mexico Mahi. 130' of water.

Was hoping to catch some wahoo, kings, etc.. but nothing. It was a big full moon and nobody seemed to be catching much.

Pulley ridge is the over night next trip as soon as I get a few days of smooth seas

IMG_20170512_103314_zpsshue5czy.jpg

IMG_20170511_184031_zpsnt5wsjgn.jpg

IMG_20170511_155228_zpsc37e4f2o.jpg

20170511_1545330_zpsbqkvv1m8.jpg

IMG_20170511_143817_zpsdagwcstt.jpg

IMG_20170511_143806_zpseaj6idup.jpg

20170511_135418_zpsztnkn580.jpg

IMG_20170510_174802_zps2hrcecfr.jpg

IMG_20170510_172815_zpsqgegt1pc.jpg

IMG_20170510_172006_zpsubekdrbw.jpg

IMG_20170510_173425_zpsyqrsymgo.jpg

Replies

• whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Looks like you had a blast. Thanks for the report!
  • YaknRobYaknRob Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Kraken - super report, I'm headed there in July from KW. Did you guys sleep on the boat or camp on the beach? Also what size and model is your boat?
  • KrackenKracken Posts: 72 Deckhand
    YaknRob wrote: »
    Kraken - super report, I'm headed there in July from KW. Did you guys sleep on the boat or camp on the beach? Also what size and model is your boat?

We camped on the beach, they have camping spots and grills you can use. No frills, bring what ever you need and pack out your trash. Been a couple of times and camped a total 6 days there. Love it. Best part is no cell service!!

Take Some block ice if you are staying for a couple of days. If there is no breeze it's going to be brutal in July. Ice doesn't last long there. Many of the camping spots have no shade. We spend most of the time in the water or on the water anyway.

The boat is a 27-foot world cat. Hull is 99 or 2000. Can't remember. Motors are New Suzuki 200's.

If you have any questions let me know I'll try to answer them.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,446 Admiral
    Very cool. Haven't been there since 96. The pic of the croc is awesome.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,702 Moderator
    Thanks for your report,good read and good info about the Fort and camping there.
    larrywitt
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    Just curious, is the fishing date from last year or is it a typo?
    Just curious, is the fishing date from last year or is it a typo?

Typo. I tried to change it 3 times and it kept reverting back. Must not have done it right.
  • winterbeater89winterbeater89 Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    Kracken - I fish out of a 2007 World Cat SD - just repowered with Evinrude 225HO G2's about a year ago. Thinking about some long offshore trips too. To date - most of mine have been <120 miles round trip. I have twin 100 gallon tanks - been considering a bladder but not sure if I need it. What kind of mileage do you get when loaded down with gear / ice etc. ? What speed do you cruise?
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Those trips seem so awesome. Great report man. Let it be known that if anyone needs an extra guy to roll out on one of those trips I would love to take a trip like that with one of you experienced offshore guys. The most offshore stuff I've done is just the grouper fishing out here in like 80fow. Great work
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
    Kracken - I fish out of a 2007 World Cat SD - just repowered with Evinrude 225HO G2's about a year ago. Thinking about some long offshore trips too. To date - most of mine have been <120 miles round trip. I have twin 100 gallon tanks - been considering a bladder but not sure if I need it. What kind of mileage do you get when loaded down with gear / ice etc. ? What speed do you cruise?

On the way there we were loaded heavy. 3 coolers of Ice. full tanks. 4 fuel cans extra fuel (didnt need them) camping gear etc. We averaged about 1.80 mpg at cruise about 31 mph.

On the way back we were much lighter. Ice had melted etc... we cruised about 34 mph and burned between 2.10 and 2.25 mpg

Total round trip average was 2.08.
    Usually off shore running back and forth I am averaging approx 2.15 to 2.25

Boat has 21" prop and will hit 50 mph right conditions. These 200 suzukis will rn circles around the 225 yamahas I just took off.

This pic has most of the details of the trip....(i forgot to reset it until we were 10 miles from the dock)

20170512_174210_zpsan2svpc6.jpg
  • PRassaPRassa Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Great post, thanks. And it looks like you might have one of the last pictures of the croc!

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/35440092/crocodile-relocated-from-national-park-over-safety-concerns
  • winterbeater89winterbeater89 Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    Thanks Kracken - I typically average about 2.0mpg round trip leaving with full tanks / baitwells and two coolers of ice, 10 gal fresh water, 2 adults and 3 kids on a 120mi offshore trip. My boat was bottom painted before I purchased it and it is 1/2 worn off - think it hurts my speed / MPG a little. I can top out at 54 mph. I run an 18" pitch 4 blade Rx-4 prop.

ETEC's replaced heavy 225 Honda's - day and night difference!

Love your hull color - awesome rig you have!
  • mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 341 Deckhand
    Kracken- Wow your cruise speed is high. I've been running a 2017 320 cc worldcat with twin yam 300's and its cruise speed is 19 mph... I know its bigger boat/ect but that's a big difference in speed. If all aligns correctly, I should be at the fort next weekend. It will be the first big offshore trip with this boat. Really curious what the fuel numbers will work out too and this helps a little. It will take forever getting anywhere at 19 mph, so i'm gonna have to sacrifice some mpg for speed, I think. I was estimating a "real world" 1.5 mpg but crossing fingers it will be better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 774 Officer
    fun trip! The Tortugas is a special place, 100%
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • dixiedaddixiedad Posts: 359 Deckhand
    Nice report, beautiful boat. Why are the trailers on the island ?
    dixiedad wrote: »
    Nice report, beautiful boat. Why are the trailers on the island ?

I was wondering the same thing. I assume it's so if bad weather is coming they can pull their boats out of the water and pull them in the fort. I beleive there is more trailers than boats.

I did notice that some things around the island are a bit cleaner than they were before. A couple of the cuban boats are gone from the last time I was there.. On the other hand some things are a bit more run down. A few of the grills in the camping area have rusted through and are hanging on the poles. Unusable. There was a bit of small trash laying around, cig butts, lids, etc..