Home Fly Fishing

Fly fishing tarpon in the keys

FlippinfoolFlippinfool Posts: 26 Deckhand
What flies work well on tarpon in the keys? Just want to know what to tie.
It only takes one bite to turn a bad day into a great one.

Replies

• sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 655 Officer
    Tarpon toads and bunnies. You can look at SS Flies or Dave Skok's examples for inspiration.

http://www.ssflies.com/info.php?info_id=4
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• FlippinfoolFlippinfool Posts: 26 Deckhand
    Thanks I plan to hit the hatch, but I don't know what they want in the morning
    Another dumb question. I like a 10wt. I feel like that is plenty of rod. Is this enough rod?
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    Another dumb question. I like a 10wt. I feel like that is plenty of rod. Is this enough rod?

Unless they're under the boat a 12 won't give you a huge advantage. 12's are nice for vertical work, but they aren't a lot of fun to cast. I like 9's & 10's, but the majority of my fish are under 80lbs, and I don't have a problem with breaking off a stubborn fish.
    If you're using long leaders and smallish flies, I don't see the point. I have an 11 for big flies and rough surf, but it's been sitting for a long time.
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    Where are you fishing the hatch?
    If it's at Bahia Honda, you may decide you're a little undergunned with the 10... BH has considerable tide/current and depth to contend with, along with a healthy population of big fish. Usually the name of the game with the hatch is #'s, land em quick and get another on, etc..

For the Oceanside fish, they're getting harder to make eat every year it seems. I've been out there on them 9 of the last 14 days. Everyday there are probably 20+ good shots at fish. Of those 9 days of shots, I've had 2 eat. I'm not saying others haven't done better, but I know the majority of the guides/clients out there simultaneously are experiencing similar frustration.
    I will say that a fully clear line, like the Cortland liquid crystal is a huge help, if not the fully clear then at least use a clear tip.
    And, downsize the flies. Small (1/0 & 2/0) sparsely tied offerings which are down in the water column (lead them well) with the fish, just being bumped away from them are what gets eaten, in my experience..
    Good luck!...
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 655 Officer
    The simple answer is that, probably, a 10-weight is not a better choice for tarpon.

Would you chose to fight a tarpon with a too-small spinning rod? Probably not. Going with super-light tackle and having a long, long grueling battle is out of style.

It is bad for the fish, not really that much fun for the fisherman, and just takes you out of the game for an hour or two. You can fight a fish in shallow water, but you are in trouble if he goes even a little deep. You probably won't make a million casts when fishing for tarpon, so the weight of the outfit isn't really that big of deal. If all you want to do is hook fish and break them off, you can use any light rod you want, as long as you can power your fly into the wind.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully I'll have good reports from Bahia Honda