Engel vs Yeti coolers

Wanting to take the plunge and buy a good roto molded cooler before i head to the tortugas in a few weeks.. Looking at the Engel Deep blue 165 or the Yeti Tundra 160. The yeti is def more $$$ and doesn't have as good of a warranty as the Engel. Only 5 yrs vs 10 yrs with the Engel. Money isn't as big of a deal as quality.. i want this cooler to last.. and i want it to hold ice. Ive read some bad reviews online about the latches with the Engels. Anyone have any first hand experience with these coolers and pro's and con's on either?

Replies

• Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 547 Officer
    I have an Engel 240 and 120 on my boat . I have no problems to report other than the hanging baskets that I bought for the 120 are rusting. I called Engel and was told they do not warranty the baskets. I believe the 240 holds ice better than the 120 but they are both good. I bought them online and paid no shipping or sales tax. I do not remember from whom I bought them.

Fireman Bill
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,785 Captain
    I have 2 Yeti's and 3 Engel's and both are quality coolers but if I had to pick one above the other I would go with the Yeti, but that's only my opinion.
  • Fish AddictFish Addict Posts: 686 Officer
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    I have 2 Yeti's and 3 Engel's and both are quality coolers but if I had to pick one above the other I would go with the Yeti, but that's only my opinion.

Curious as to why the Yeti over the Engel? A few of the ice challenges ive watched online showed the engel out perform the yeti in keeping ice longer as well
  • IslandiaIslandia Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Go with Engel, Local Owners, who contribute to many great causes such as the Andrew Harris Foundation reef builders, and so many others... I would not consider another brand and yes all things being equal which they are.
  • Fish'n MissionFish'n Mission Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Have you looked into Pelican coolers?
    1998 Shamrock 246 WA
  • Traveller5220Traveller5220 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    The engel holds ice a little better. The yeti is better built. My 240 has a broken handle and all three latches are broken. The last time I went by Engel to get new ones (I've done it before), they told me to come back because they were on backorder. Nice folks, but...frigid rigid is the best though.
  • JWPBJWPB Posts: 154 Deckhand
    Have and Engel because they are local, but think there are 20 different brands making similar coolers now and performance does not vary much. Also, I looked at some yeti style cups at Engel(Have the Yeti 30) and they were outrageously priced in store because of powder coat. I know you are talking about coolers, but the Walmart Ozark trails cups are as good as Yeti or Engel for over night iced drinks and much cheaper. I'm sure the cheaper coolers are catching up as well.

For cooler I went with the Deep Blue 165 and probably could have gone smaller since I have a fish bag for any long fish that would not fit in a shorter cooler. Also it takes a fair amount of ice to fill the 165, and all the ice tests online are full of ice, not with a couple of bags and lots of air in there which impacts performance.
    Jupiter 29FS
  • SadnessfactorySadnessfactory Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    We have two Yetis and three Engels, including the Engel 165. The 165 seems a lot bigger than the Yeti 160. I use the 165 as a coffin box and it's a bit taller than the Engel 240. It seems to hold ice better than all of the other coolers we own (and I never fill it all of the way with ice). The yetis seem easier to clean.
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,408 Captain
    Heard good things about RTIC as well

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 242 Deckhand
    I don't have experience with Engel, but both my Yeti coolers hold ice for days, even in 90 degree sun. I have filled my 110 with mostly bait and a few bags of ice for a week of fishing and the cigar minnows were still frozen after 5 days in the back of my truck in June, snapper fishing off of dauphin island.

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,314 Officer
    century7 wrote: »
    Heard good things about RTIC as well

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have Engel and rtic both are very good, I have a dislike for yeti I had an issue with one of their products and was told that hasn't happened before so I sold it and moved on. No more yeti for me.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,719 Captain
    If you have friends that think a cooler is a "status symbol", pay the extra for a YETI. Otherwise, be smart and buy the Engel.
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,773 Admiral
    I don't own either cooler but here is what I can tell you about Engel.

They are part of our fishing/diving/environmental community. They work close with No shoes nation conservation . They sit on the Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative task force.

They give back tour community in a very good way.
  • CudaJuiceCudaJuice Hobe SoundPosts: 21 Greenhorn
    Engel all the way, have 2 and they are awesome. Great local company that does a lot in the community.
  • olorsesolorses Iowa,Des MoinesPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    ve been freezing my 1.5L Nalgene bottles or using large blocks of ice and it still doesn't last long in my Coleman.
    I have replaced the hinges and drains on hundreds of Coleman coolers so I know they do not last long, so I will not be buying another Coleman 
    I think I'm leaning towards the Pelican https://bestoutdooritems.com/pelican-vs-yeti/ line because of the lifetime warranty.On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this subject, yesterday I watched one of them, because my friend also asked for advice in choosing. Look, I hope that helps. Good luck
    Thanks to everyone that replied.

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 315 Deckhand
    edited May 10 #17
    This might help you make a more informed decision as to which business you want to support!  :D 

NRA supporters are blowing up Yeti coolers. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/04/24/nra-supporters-are-blowing-up-yeti-coolers-yeti-says-its-all-a-big-mistake/?utm_term=.04a3b1218bc1

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 609 Officer
    I bought an RTIC 45 for the boat, and it's nice, holds ice great, seems well put together.  They are heavy though, a bigger one must weigh a ton!  I do think it's funny how much time/energy/pride people put into their coolers.  Great marketing by high end cooler companies....
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,124 Officer
    If you have friends that think a cooler is a "status symbol", pay the extra for a YETI. Otherwise, be smart and buy the Engel.
    Better yet be even smarter and buy an RTIC
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 354 Deckhand
    If all things are equal always best to give your support to the local guy, IMHO. Paul and his family are great people and put out a super product.
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 315 Deckhand
    If all things are equal always best to give your support to the local guy, IMHO. Paul and his family are great people and put out a super product.
    If all things are equal always best to give your support to the constitution's 2nd amendment - Yeti is undermining it!  :'(

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• privateer19privateer19 Posts: 354 Deckhand
    edited May 10 #22
    This is a link i got from Engel about the latches. They offer a stainless alternative if you prefer it. Yeti does not....

https://www.engelcoolers.com/engel-stainless-steel-latches.html

• Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,411 Captain

Be smarter yet and buy an RTIC   ;) :)

Pura Vida!
  • DixonDixon Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Engel has two great latch options.  Both the standard, adjustable rubber compression latch...but also a new stainless steel adjustable latches.  Both easily replaced/changed on the cooler.  I still prefer the rubber, personally, but the stainless are the same price and also lie flat against the cooler when open...which some people really like.
  • pk911pk911 Posts: 243 Deckhand
    just went through this exercise and settled on the Engel.  the thing that works best to keep ice frozen for a while if you are just storing ice or open occasionally is once the lid is down, tighten down on the drain plug. the vacuum it creates is very strong. try it and you will see what i am talking about. 
  • KnotikoKnotiko Posts: 36 Greenhorn

I own 2 RTICs and wont be buying any other brand.  (even converted a YETI guy recently!).  They hold up well and I have had no issues.  Unfortunately I think their bigger models are sold out right now. Also, the RTIC sizes are larger than YETI so you need to compare the amount of ice they can hold or Beer cans.  RTIC is the way to go.

• DixonDixon Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Knotiko said:

I own 2 RTICs and wont be buying any other brand.  (even converted a YETI guy recently!).  They hold up well and I have had no issues.  Unfortunately I think their bigger models are sold out right now. Also, the RTIC sizes are larger than YETI so you need to compare the amount of ice they can hold or Beer cans.  RTIC is the way to go.

RTIC simply because of price?  I've always been curious. 

They're a company that sold - exclusively - chinese imitations of others' product innovations until they were legally forced to stop.  
    They don't do much of anything to support the independent outdoor retailer channel that is quite important to many of our communities.  Both by providing jobs and localized product availability/support...but also by simply being the means that many young people in our communities are introduced to the pursuit of outdoor recreation.
    They engage is minimal - if any - meaningful support of various groups that support industry growth or advocate for habitat restoration/conservation, angler/hunter rights/access, etc...

I'd appreciate any insight you have.  I want to more effectively develop products that meet the needs of our (potential) customers.  I'd always thought the cost-cutting involved in winning the "race to the bottom" on price wasn't worth the sacrifice in either quality or support.  But perhaps it's all that matters...
    Thanks.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,124 Officer
    Dixon said:
    Knotiko said:

RTIC simply because of price?  I've always been curious. 

I'd always thought the cost-cutting involved in winning the "race to the bottom" on price wasn't worth the sacrifice in either quality or support.  But perhaps it's all that matters...
    Thanks.
    If the products are of equal quality (RTIC, Engel and YETI are) price always wins out for me.
  • Frosty1Frosty1 Posts: 107 Deckhand

I have a Yeti 75 with a seat cushion, doubles as a bench seat for my boat. Paid through the nose for it but have been very happy with the quality and performance. Haven't tried the other coolers but I'm sure they are all about the same when it comes to keeping ice.

Plus the sticker looks cool on my truck............

Oh boy opened myself up for that one

• KnotikoKnotiko Posts: 36 Greenhorn

Simply put.  I bought the first RTIC when they were doing one of their sales, it looked like a yeti and was way less than the price tag.  That cooler held up very well, holds ice like a champ and I have had 0 complaints with it.  I have also enjoyed to ability to stand on it and it not buckle (im a big guy).  I bought the second one when they went on sale again.  The reason I said I wouldn't go with another company is merely the fact, why pay almost double for the exact same product? 

Normally I agree.  Price cutting is not always the best, but if the price is so vastly different then that what will win.  Also, part of their marketing strategy is cutting out the middle man and passing the savings on to the consumers.

In short, the answer is yes because of price, but also because I feel like I am getting the same quality cooler for that price.

If price was the ultimate concern everyone would just buy colemans and not roto molded coolers.

• Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,268 Officer
    Engel. I have the 65,80, and 240 I will put my 240 on the deck like a coffin box, run to the islands for 5-6 days. It will be full of ice blocks and chunk bait. When I come home I have most of my block ice left. It sits on the deck in full sun the whole time I am there, and this is mid summer, so plenty warm.