Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

License required to catch and sell bait

PSU87PSU87 Posts: 38 Deckhand
My 16 year old son wants to try selling live and frozen bait to local shops. He's talked to a few, and they said they would absolutely buy from him. I think it's a great thing and shows some initiative on his part.
However, reading the laws....holy cow am I confused.
Obviously needs the SPL
To be able to sell even pinfish and mullet he would need the RS as well. Can't understand the wording...can you not even GET the RS until after you've sold $5000 of non-RS fish????
One bait shop said pinfish are fine, but to transport mullet you need filtration and chiller BY LAW (can't find that one)
Also, if he uses our boat at all, does it need to be registered as a commercial vessel?
Seems incredibly complicated for a kid that just wants to sell some pinfish, mullet and mojarra for boat gas money. What does he need to do, minimum, to sell bait to retail shops?
TIA

Replies

• aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,388 Officer
    PSU87 wrote: »
    Seems incredibly complicated for a kid that just wants to sell some pinfish
    TIA

welcome to Amerika
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    PSU87 wrote: »
    My 16 year old son wants to try selling live and frozen bait to local shops. He's talked to a few, and they said they would absolutely buy from him. I think it's a great thing and shows some initiative on his part.
    However, reading the laws....holy cow am I confused.
    Obviously needs the SPL
    To be able to sell even pinfish and mullet he would need the RS as well. Can't understand the wording...can you not even GET the RS until after you've sold $5000 of non-RS fish????
    One bait shop said pinfish are fine, but to transport mullet you need filtration and chiller BY LAW (can't find that one)
    Also, if he uses our boat at all, does it need to be registered as a commercial vessel?
    Seems incredibly complicated for a kid that just wants to sell some pinfish, mullet and mojarra for boat gas money. What does he need to do, minimum, to sell bait to retail shops?
    TIA

To help answer some of your questions - Yes you need a SPL to catch commercial quantities of fish and to sell those fish. No RS required for pinfish. Your boat does need to be registered commercially to utilize the SPL and catch fish for profit. Mullet are considered a restricted species thus an RS Endorsement is required.

PM me if you have any other questions.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,694 Captain
    BUT...if you sell to consumers then you probably also need the retail license as well.