Jupiter 4/29...ROUGH...with a day saver

Figured NOAA must have been exaggerating about the weather prediction, so we decided to fish today. Loaded up on some sardines from Matt and headed out to tempt fate. Well the prediction was pretty much spot on, maybe a little under-estimated. Steep, close, stiff East wind. Some whitecaps here and there. Took 2 breakers over the front of the bow. Reeled in 3 bonitos on the troll out front. By about 10 we were beat up and not feeling great. Out in 120 or so the remoras found us drifting live baits and were incessant. Back on the troll, we took a couple more over the front, and decided we had enough. Pointed it to the lighthouse and trolled in. At the last minute, in about 65 feet right in front of the inlet, we were going to reel in and wham! The long skirt gets hit and a gaffer is doing cartwheels. Took a while to get him in, partially because I think I need to recalibrate my gaff. I couldn't hit crap with it.

The day was saved, we trolled a little around the 60-80 foot line but found nothing else. Came in by 11:30. Decided to anchor up and use up the rest of the sardines. Had fun catching a snook, a grouper (that went back), and a freight train that got out in the current and was off before I could get the anchor up to follow it. No idea what it was but it was big. Listening to the radio it seemed most were like us, trying to figure out how long they could take the abuse.
Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
www.makologic.com
[email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...

Replies

• Angler ManagemntAngler Managemnt Posts: 1,076 Officer
    As I always say I love Watching everyone drive way out past me while we catch fish. You'd be amazed what unbelievable fishing is under 80 feet. People think there's a fence underwater that won't let fish inside 90 feet and shallower. Most of the mahi today were 50-75 feet including some 20 plus pounders.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.anglermanagementfishing.com
    Check out our Charter Fishing Videos: Click Here

Click Here for the 2017 Annual Seminar Details
  • ldavid516ldavid516 Posts: 309 Deckhand
    Pat,

Figured you were joking about hitting it today.
    We were beat up yesterday @ 3:00 and it was building.
    At least you were able to get some sandwich material. Cudos for taking
    the Ahab approach and **** everything..get that fish (or whale)
    :Glass
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 627 Officer
    there were more crazies out today than I would have thought, we weren't the only ones at least.
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,474 Captain
    My hats off to you guys, way to go!
    I think there is a KDW this weekend - that explains the other crazies out there.
    Nice work, and good report too.
    :thumbsup

Pura Vida!
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 627 Officer
    My hats off to you guys, way to go!
    I think there is a KDW this weekend - that explains the other crazies out there.
    Nice work, and good report too.
    :thumbsup

Ya....a boat, can't remember the name now, kept coming on the radio "xxxxxx, remora in the boat, I say again, Remora in the boat". I could have won the remora division. ..
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...