Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

2017 Mahi Reports

I thought I'd make a thread so everyone can share info on what they saw/heard on mahi reports for 2017.

I was out fishing the wrecks in Miami yesterday and tons of weed patches were blown in shallow. Every time a big patch would come through, we'd be surrounded by peanuts. Most were short, but it made me wish I pushed out deep in search of mahi instead of messing around with the jacks.

Also saw quite a few reports on instagram of guys doing well off Miami/Keys.

Post up what you guys are seeing out there, its :fishing time.

Replies

• T - L U VT - L U V Posts: 187 Officer
    I haven't been out lately but I'll be out there Saturday and I'll have a report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • pk911pk911 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Went out yesterday. Dolphin were reported in 350-500. Lost one, got 10 lb and 25lb. The big one was great we saw him race across the surface about sixty yards. And crash a black Bart lure. Guys in. Marina went out to 2500 ft. And got couple 26 lbers and a 41 lb.
  • bamahemibamahemi Posts: 56 Deckhand
    pk911 wrote: »
    Went out yesterday. Dolphin were reported in 350-500. Lost one, got 10 lb and 25lb. The big one was great we saw him race across the surface about sixty yards. And crash a black Bart lure. Guys in. Marina went out to 2500 ft. And got couple 26 lbers and a 41 lb.

Was out as well, at the 58 line was in the weed machine with patches and lost a keeper schooler! Pushed to 55 with clearing found nada, came back west and got nailed at 57 with a solo 25 bull on roids! After solo battle 15 min stuck him with the new 4" gaff and he complied with no issue, beat and ready for the box, took him a couple minutes to protest but was good on the grille today!
  • BubbletrailBubbletrail Posts: 48 Deckhand
    We've had a great run for the past week at Port Canaveral and ponce inlet. Lots of fish reported over 50lbs. Personally got a 35lb bull and 20lb cow and 4 smaller fish. Hope to get out again next week. Keep the south reports coming, helps us gauge the fish up here. Tight lines.
  • conquistadorconquistador Posts: 211 Deckhand
    Dolphin run is on...Whatsapp, instagram, Facebook, etc all of my friends/folks I've subscribed to who fish a lot are reporting lots of weeds and fish this entire week....Most of the big boys are caught deep, 800'+. Several buddies of mine off Port Canaveral filled up their fish boxes with peanuts and lots of big boys.

I haven't seen social media light up with so many dolphin reports in 2 years!

GET OUT THERE PEOPLE!
    1996 24' CC w/300 Yamaha - Sold
  • SluiceBox1SluiceBox1 Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    buddy down in the keys said every boat in the upper keys had a pile of schoolies and a few bigger ones. he caught a couple in the 10lb range in about 250' out of Islamorada. so they are here up and down the coast if you can get out this weekend should be great. again the wind is an issue supposed to be 20-25knts this weekend so count me out.
  • miamihurricane34miamihurricane34 Posts: 145 Deckhand
    Dolphin run is on...Whatsapp, instagram, Facebook, etc all of my friends/folks I've subscribed to who fish a lot are reporting lots of weeds and fish this entire week....Most of the big boys are caught deep, 800'+. Several buddies of mine off Port Canaveral filled up their fish boxes with peanuts and lots of big boys.

I haven't seen social media light up with so many dolphin reports in 2 years!

GET OUT THERE PEOPLE!

Any good pages you recommend following?
  • reelthunderreelthunder Posts: 281 Deckhand
    one of my subcontractors father went out of pe last Saturday and landed 50= LBS 2 20= lbs and a handful of schoolies so yes they are finally showing up now if the wind would calm down i would have my own (tail) to tell.
  • PONDSKIPPERPONDSKIPPER Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    FIRST TIME POSTING WE WERE ABOUT 13 OFF OUT OF HAULOVER WORKING HARD FOLLOWING MANY FRIGATES BUT NO LUCK THROUGH SOME LIVIES AT SOME WEED BUT NOTHING STARTED TO TROLL AGAIN JUST WHEN WHAT LOOKED LIKE A COMMERCIAL SHRIMP BOAT PASSED AND GOT THIS BABY ON! I THINK SHE WAS FOLLOWING THE SHRIMPER , JUST LUCK BUT HARD WORK.
  • 101grunts101grunts Posts: 116 Deckhand
    What happened with the thread is a repeat of 2016 season.
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 561 Officer
    Been bottom fishing, but I'm switching gears next trip. Seems like those who are out there chasing them are getting some fish.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain
    PE 6/3 put 3 in the box biggest 9 lbs
    friends on 4 other boats had 10 to 20
    fish between 52 and 59 line.Alot of
    small fish that just tore up your bait.