garmin chart accuracy

Has anyone had an issue with the garmin bluechart accuracy? Just did the upgrade 7612 with a g2 vision bluechart and the maps are way off. Installed everything and first trip was to the other side. North of west end on the other side the charts were at least 1/4 mile off. Called garmin and they said no way. GPS must have a bad signal. I did some research for them and was going to report back to them tonight. I just saw a report on the NE section where some others are having the same issue. Wondering if anyone down this way is or has had similar issues.

Replies

• campertopcampertop Posts: 722 Officer
    Have a buddy that says his are the same way uo on the Corner, fine everywhere else.
  • Hook N UpHook N Up Posts: 188 Officer
    I am a Garmin guy and their Contour lines and depth on their fishing maps page are way off for the Bahamas. For the US they are great. They have never been accurate for the Bahamas in multiple garmin units I have owned, and their solution is to create my own contour lines on my units with QuickContour. Let me know if you find a solution with Garmin or if someone out there has another recommendation.

David
    Hook N Up
  • Cryinsham30Cryinsham30 Posts: 125 Officer
    if it makes you feel better, I run a garmin and a lowrance (w/ navionics) and yesterday in the ICW they didn't line up a bit, to the point I was furious at all the crab traps "in the channel"
  • PitchinTentsPitchinTents Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Corner, white sands, memory rock and a bit south all off.

I have not been able to fix, and from the sound of everyone else I speak to and read about it just is what it is.
  • Trit21Trit21 Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Yes, is what it is. West End area contours way way off. Depth sounder reads 600 ft, dark blue water, but my chart tells me I'm in 75' of water. Useless on the other side.
    Tom

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live: Orlando
    Boat: Ft Pierce
    2000 Tiara 3500 Open
  • ElliwhaElliwha Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Yep always off in west end area. Not even close. Had three different garments
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 835 Officer
    Devil's Triangle effect.
  • BearmaticBearmatic Posts: 576 Officer
    I have lived in the South Fla all of my life 68 yrs. There is a thing out there called the triangle. Many boats and planes ships have reported instrument malfunctions. Make sure your safety equipment is in working order.
  • AlwaysOnTopAlwaysOnTop Posts: 210 Officer
    Mine way off too
  • JEN'S REVENGEJEN'S REVENGE Posts: 635 Officer
    Furuno for the corner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chris7687Chris7687 Posts: 67 Deckhand
    Way off, even in the Abacos. Chart plotter reads 300', depth finder will read 600'. I agree with everyone else, Garmin doesn't have good Bahamas charts. Whether you are in WE or Abacos or Cat.
  • unhookedunhooked Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Reviving an old thread   I've been back and forth with Garmin on this topic for a few years. I asked if the purchase of Navionics would help...Short answer was no.  My DD spots at West End and North are off by up to 6000'  I sent them many screen shot for proof directly to their cartography dept and just got shoulder shrugs.
    Anyone been over recently with a new unit?  
  • mike923mike923 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    Just with the 7612's and they still off.  The garmin is even off out of south florida compared to the simrad with cmor maping card.  The cmor is spot on in a simrad unit and the garmin is off by several hundred feet off palm beach.  Way off in the bahamas.  I'm very displeased with garmin and i wouldn't recommend anyone buying one for that reason.  You count on your electronics to be accurate and garmin is not.  
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,745 Captain
    Hook N Up said:
    I am a Garmin guy and their Contour lines and depth on their fishing maps page are way off for the Bahamas. For the US they are great. They have never been accurate for the Bahamas in multiple garmin units I have owned, and their solution is to create my own contour lines on my units with QuickContour. Let me know if you find a solution with Garmin or if someone out there has another recommendation.

David
    Hook N Up
    Navionics has been way off on contours in the Bahamas also.  
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,657 Admiral
    I have an echomap 740 touchscreen and first time using it it didn't show anything but a tan screen.    i had a route line, but nothing else. couldn't find any place in the settings to change it.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,148 Officer
    edited April 8 #17
    You might have been zoomed in, Try going out.Did you do the latest update?

I just purchased the g3 vision card. Waiting for the 15th when I can get the bottom detail.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,657 Admiral
    i just got the unit on a boat i bought 3 weeks ago no updates that i know of.  i'l look into it. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.