Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

ponce inlet 4-22 sail / mahi / blackfin

Been a long time since i have posted so I will give it a shot, to include some photos
Hit the inlet nice and early to some rather bumpy seas with my brother Scott. Took about 3 hours heading straight into the wind, to get out far enough to drop a line. first hit was a bonita and then a small sailfish on purple and black with trolling weight in about 180ft.. Clean release on the sail. Trolled east until about 210 and picked up a nice lifter dolphin, followed by a 13 lb. black fin, both into the ice box. We continued east into the bumpy seas until about 240 where we picked up another dolphin. a little bigger this time. He had some company, but with the bumpy seas and wind I couldn't stay off the wheel long enough to get more than one shot with the spinner and he was gone.
Found a beautiful color change, rip line in about 220 and nothing. We thought for sure this was the spot!
Blind trolled toward the inlet and hit a decent 16 lb. black fin in about 145.
Both tuna came on pink and orange and purple and black with trolling weight took the rest of the action.
finished the day with 2 blackfin and 2 phins on ice.
Properly bled and the blackfin produce some tasty sushi!!!!!!

Replies

• aubvetaubvet Posts: 15 Greenhorn
  • My TurnMy Turn Posts: 72 Deckhand
    Nice trip. We did a blackfin couple weeks ago and bled it like you said. Some of the best sashimi I ever had
  • MikeT1MikeT1 Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Very nice trip! Thank you for the report.
  • killintimekillintime Posts: 263 Deckhand
    Great report - congrats and good eats.

Care to share the 'properly bled' methond? Thx!
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 925 Officer
    hell yeah if you treat those blackfins right they are money.
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report, itching to get out. Hoping for good weather the next 2 days
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,609 Captain
    Sailfish is some of the best eating fish out there. Go ahead throw some rocks.
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 410 Deckhand
    Nice catch.
    Watch out for trailing hooks.
    They will cut your day short.
    Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
  • saltwaterstiffysaltwaterstiffy Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    killintime wrote: »
    Great report - congrats and good eats.

Care to share the 'properly bled' methond? Thx!

There's a vein in their gill area you can break with your finger/thumb (you can cut with knife also) and they will bleed out pretty quickly.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,609 Captain
    OUCH! Seaspy, that looks @#$%&#!!!
  • Orange&BlueOrange&Blue Posts: 64 Deckhand
    I just threw up in my mouth a little, Sea Spy. Thanks.

A couple of weeks ago I'd flipped a snake king into the boat and in all the thrashing about he jumped two feet off the deck and I only jumped 1'11" apparently. 2/3rds of a treble stinger hook sunk past the barbs in my leg. While I held the fish in a death grip to keep it from ripping out the hooks my buddy pulled the hooks out with a pair of pliers...the old bandaid method. With 99% confidence I can say that didn't hurt nearly as much as Sea Spy's 7/0 through the diddler looks like it hurt.
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 410 Deckhand
    I just threw up in my mouth a little, Sea Spy. Thanks.

A couple of weeks ago I'd flipped a snake king into the boat and in all the thrashing about he jumped two feet off the deck and I only jumped 1'11" apparently. 2/3rds of a treble stinger hook sunk past the barbs in my leg. While I held the fish in a death grip to keep it from ripping out the hooks my buddy pulled the hooks out with a pair of pliers...the old bandaid method. With 99% confidence I can say that didn't hurt nearly as much as Sea Spy's 7/0 through the diddler looks like it hurt.

That's kind of what happened there.
    Caught a snake King, stepped on tail, reached down with pliers, fish flopped up and down driving the trailing hook in the index finger.
    Was at 8a and had a long ride back right after.

In the above pic that Tuna could shake off the gaff and then fall between the anglers legs allowing them big Azs hook to hang in the leg, nutz, knee cap, or main artery. That would all suk.
    Be careful my fellow fisherman and remove them hooks then take them pics.

My .02

Ron
    Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
  • Orange&BlueOrange&Blue Posts: 64 Deckhand
    Oh dang, you had to push the hook on through. I looked at the first pic and thought, "well, at least he was kinda lucky and it went in and back out and all he had to do was cut the hook." No such luck I guess.

There's a video on YouTube of a guy who intentionally sank hooks in his forearm and showed 3 or 4 ways to get it out. He said (and it looked like it) that pushing it out and making a second hole was the MOST painful. He said grabbing it with pliers and a quick yank in the opposite direction that it went in was the least painful. For what it's worth...