Bare Bones Keys Fishing Video

On a recent camping trip to Bahia Honda State Park in the Florida Keys I towed my camper so I could not bring my skiff for fishing. Not having a skiff presented no problem by doing a little research on Google Earth and Top Spot fishing maps I was able to find plenty of areas that were accessible by kayak to catch tarpon, bonefish and plenty of other varieties of fish. This video covers the "bare bones" approach that I use to identify productive areas and the baits used to catch fish.

Replies

• fixedratefixedrate Posts: 165 Deckhand
    great video!
    thanks for sharing
  • CaptainHeikoCaptainHeiko Posts: 131 Deckhand
    I enjoyed watching this. Was out on the patch reefs off key largo all day. TONS of undersized yellowtail. But did get one for the pan =)
    Turtle Time -
    236cc Key Largo - 200HP Mercury
    JKbIqtU.jpg
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,933 Captain
    Nice video - that current was moving
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• Red TideRed Tide Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    Cool video. Thanks for posting. Makes me wish I was there.
  • flightcontrollerflightcontroller Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Very cool... Still trying to get my first bone,,, you make it look easy... Great job!
  • mcsnookmcsnook Posts: 172 Deckhand
    I fish the flats when I'm down there once a year but I wade. I use only a treble hook silver spoon, and reel as fast as I can, last year in 2 days of fishing I caught 4 bones, and countless Cuba, some as big as 30". Love to wade fish down there.
  • VikingViking Posts: 137 Deckhand
    Thanks everyone for the kind words on the video! Mcsnook, I learned something new, never tried a silver spoon on the flats. Definitely would keep the barracuda from tearing up your bait. Barracuda are underrated, I really enjoy how they jump when they fight.
  • 1morecastinthekeys1morecastinthekeys Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    great video
  • mcsnookmcsnook Posts: 172 Deckhand
    That's for sure Viking, Cuda are underrated, on light tackle on the flats they are a lot of fun good fighters with some awesome drag runs. I've fished only in march when I'm down there and i hear, the winter is the best time for the larger Cuda on the flats.
  • SCaveNJSCaveNJ Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Great video - I really enjoyed it! We were just there earlier this month (the week leading up to Easter). My buddy and I brought our kayaks but the wind was brutal on both sides of the island. Most everyone I spoke to was struggling to catch fish that week. Not sure when you were there, but you did very well!
    We just snagged a campsite for 2018, so we will be back to try again. Thanks for posting.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,611 Captain
    Excellent!