BIG Mang and Yellowtails

Just wanted to write a quick report of our trip today. Headed out to try and get some tuna off one of these wrecks since they've been so thick lately. Also wanted to try and get a permit or two as well but struck out on both. While anchored on a wreck in 100' of water, we chummed heavily and caught a lot of big yellowtails with a lot of them in the 20-23" range. Also caught a huge Mango in the 9lb range that was 27". We got 25 snapper and probably would've gotten more but we wanted to try to hit some inshore wrecks for permit. All the snapper were caught on frozen dines. big mang with 15" Yellowtail

Replies

• GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 316 Deckhand
    Way to go, man!
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Grouper sized mango. Great job!
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 577 Officer
    I wish we had pics of some of the big YT's but we only took a couple quick pics. The YT in the pic witht he mango was 15" for size reference. he was the smallest one we kept.
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 708 Officer
    nice work - any permit luck?
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
    nice work - any permit luck?

No sir...was a lil choppy so it made it tough. gave it an hour or so on the wreck, but no takers.
  • Mango TangoMango Tango Posts: 2,019 Captain
    Nice mango........don't get much bigger than that. Nice fillets for sure.

Next window I'm going to head down off Sarasota to some deeper spots to try for some more muttons and blacks.

Saw some permit making their rounds on the FB last time out but didn't have any crabs to invite them aboard plus we were anchored which would have been tough going.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,099 Moderator
    Stud Mangs for sure, nice job.
    Nice mango........don't get much bigger than that. Nice fillets for sure.

Next window I'm going to head down off Sarasota to some deeper spots to try for some more muttons and blacks.

Saw some permit making their rounds on the FB last time out but didn't have any crabs to invite them aboard plus we were anchored which would have been tough going.

Tis the season for the Muttons...they should be starting to stack up here soon to the south. We Swung by the FB Friday to look for some Tuna action but nothing so we kept moving after catching a few more baits.
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 816 Officer
    Muttons, my favorite....
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Nice gulf muttons would be a treat.
    rent my beach house