Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Best Beach or Island Beach For Night Sharking

1 of my group is very keen to do beach Sharking at night/evenings.
Obviously we are aware this isn't liked day times on beaches used for bathing.

We are based close to the river estuary so I'm thinking Pine or Sanibel islands beaches.
We would like to use our boat to lay baits out, but also bring car to use headlights if needed.

Are there spots available where we can park a car overlooking a suitable beach to Shark from?
Or should we just look for somewhere we can get the boat moored up next to a suitable beach.

From looking at Google Earth/Maps, Turners Beach and Blind Pass on Sanibel Island looks perfect.
Has this got potential?

Watched a few videos of some exciting beach catches of sharks, Saw Fish and Goliath Groupers all caught while targeting Sharks, but these videos don't give exact locations.

Any info welcomed.
Thx
Kevin
Catch and release some fish
There are anglers tomorrow who want to catch too
Just because there is a upper limit, doesn't mean you keep it all.

Replies

• KenyakevinKenyakevin Posts: 165 Officer
    I love the internet :)
    I've found out loads about Blind Pass and other good spots around Cape Coral.

You guys here have helped loads too with all my questions about fishing your region.
    Much appreciated.

After my trip there I hope to share a catch report on our trip and what fish and sharks we caught.
    We leave for 3 nights in Miami on Wed then head over to Cape Coral on Fri 29th April.

Let the tight lines begin and hopefully some tasty table fish too.
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    You're not going to get car headlights on a beach here. Any Sanibel or Captiva beaches can/will produce sharks. A kayak helps, but if you have a boat, you may as well fish from it.
  • Icecat21Icecat21 Posts: 640 Officer
    The beach just north of the Lighthouse on Sanibel :fishing
  • KenyakevinKenyakevin Posts: 165 Officer
    My South African mates are more used to beach Sharking.
    We don't have a Kayak available, but can and might use our boat to drop baits out.
    Car headlights would of been nice, but not essential.

I'm aware best shark spots do move a little, but we will get up to date info on arrival.
    West Gulf area sounds like it produces some good sharks, near Sanibel Lighthouse I did read something, but will check this out further when we get there.

Thanks
    Kevin
  • britbrit Posts: 61 Deckhand
    Kenyakevin wrote: »
    My South African mates are more used to beach Sharking.
    We don't have a Kayak available, but can and might use our boat to drop baits out.
    Car headlights would of been nice, but not essential.

I'm aware best shark spots do move a little, but we will get up to date info on arrival.
    West Gulf area sounds like it produces some good sharks, near Sanibel Lighthouse I did read something, but will check this out further when we get there.

Thanks
    Kevin

Kevin,

As you know, I stayed where you are going - first bad news - you can't run the boat in the dark! We were planning tarpon fishing at night but were told the boat insurance means we cannot run it in the dark.

Second, Sanibel Island is a nightmare traffic wise, probably better at night though.

I would give it a go just over the Sanibel bridge, you can park just next to the bridge and I saw small balcktips being caught off there on beach gear and I have no doubt there are bigger sharks there. We fished almost exclusively artificials all week so didn't really target sharks from the boat but did have a small black tip on a live bait and I had a much much bigger shark on for 15 minutes before the leader failed.

Send me a message if you want to know specifically where we found the fishing to be best.

Anthony
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage USA, USA, USAPosts: 13,014 AG
    I assuming that the causeway beaches are closed at night? I seem to remember cars getting pretty close to being able to park so headlights would reach the water, or is it because of confusing the turtles?

I ask because I would think off the edges of the causeway you could float a balloon out on the tide...

Is that big spit of land still blocking most of Blind Pass?
    I will be on Captiva the end of next week. We are staying right at Redfish Pass so I will be concentrating there. I am packing the paddleboard as well. (inflatable, with paddle & PFD, bagged, weighs in at 46 lbs, one of 2 free checked bags on Southwest)
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 808 Officer
    Just asking, but during turtle season wouldn't car headlights or lights in general be an issue?
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    I would just go to Bowman's or blind pass. Maybe rent a kayak to haul the baits out some. We are in, or close to, the beginning of turtle nesting season, but there is nothing hatching if I remember correctly. You can use lanterns and such on the beach. Even if turtles were hatching, you are near the water, unlike the home and street lights that take them the other direction.