Home Conservation Forums

COMMERCIAL POMPANO FISHING ON LAND

noelgarcnoelgarc Posts: 2 Greenhorn
I plan on applying for an individual SPL and was wondering what is the clear cut way to fish and sell pompano commercially. Land ONLY (no boat/vessel)
From the research I've done on the FWC website and a reply from their customer service. It's an SPL license WITH the added endorsement. And the endorsement requires $5k sales of NON rs fish right?

THEN, FWC customer service mentioned "or work with someone and have them write you a crewshare statement to cover the $5,000 qualification requirement," which leads to my main question.
How does crewshare work?
When I read about "crew shares," it's mostly related to working on commercial boats. Is this the only way when taking this route, working on a commercial boat? Or do fish markets have a way to offer it too?
and when you do have your SPL with endorsement, is there a minimum of sales required when renewing?

Having a commercial license and endorsement for pompano isn't a must for me. Sometimes I get lazy after a trip and wish I could sell em, but I know there's regulations to follow. I tried searching for these answers, but couldn't find it as a whole. Sorry if this is redundant, but if not, hopefully this thread can sum it up.

Replies

  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,453 AG
    Crewshare is working for a properly licensed commercial fisherman, I can fill out a crew share form for my employee or they can use their 1099, or one can buy an SPL (without a restricted species endorsement) and sell non restricted species fish (ladyfish etc) until they reach 5k in sales (with trip tickets) in a 12 month period.

    To renew one has to have a minimum of 5k in sales (with trip tickets) in any of the past 3 license years.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • noelgarcnoelgarc Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Crewshare is working for a properly licensed commercial fisherman, I can fill out a crew share form for my employee or they can use their 1099, or one can buy an SPL (without a restricted species endorsement) and sell non restricted species fish (ladyfish etc) until they reach 5k in sales (with trip tickets) in a 12 month period.

    To renew one has to have a minimum of 5k in sales (with trip tickets) in any of the past 3 license years.

    So if you don't have an SPL yet, then an alternative is crewshare? Crewshare is only for non RS fish also? just like an SPL without endorsement, correct? So bottom line, better catch a ton of ladyfish? lol
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    Art is correct. But there is more to contend with besides the SPL and RS. You also have to abide by FWC regulations regarding the storage and transport of the fish.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,453 AG
    noelgarc wrote: »
    So if you don't have an SPL yet, then an alternative is crewshare? Crewshare is only for non RS fish also? just like an SPL without endorsement, correct? So bottom line, better catch a ton of ladyfish? lol
    Anybody with $50 (US citizen) can buy an SPL from the state and fish for non restricted species.
    All legal sales (to a licensed wholesale dealer) from those fish will go towards qualifying for an RS endorsement.
    Another way is to buy your $50 SPL and go to work on a properly licensed commercial boat and earn at least 5k in one year to qualify for the RS. That is crewshare, don't matter what kind of product (seafood) as long as you earned that 5k and have proof, i.e. a crewshare statement from the license holder or a 1099 for fishing boat proceeds (Fl. resident).

    BTW in the fall and early winter a ton of ladyfish is worth aprox $2000.00.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,453 AG
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    Art is correct. But there is more to contend with besides the SPL and RS. You also have to abide by FWC regulations regarding the storage and transport of the fish.
    ice and coolers, no fish on deck without bulkheads separating fuel/batteries/etc, or without ice.
    it's all online to read.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement

Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now