West Palm to West End on Wednesday June 14th

Orange&BlueOrange&Blue Posts: 64 Deckhand
...if anybody has similar plans and wants a buddy boat. We're clearing and then pushing on to Hope Town.

Replies

• Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,871 Admin
    Lots of boats crossing that week from various inlets. We have a club crossing from Canaveral, Sebastian and Stuart on June 15. I bet many more will post up in the coming weeks.
    Mark Wilson
    AF1.124213220_sq_thumb_s.jpg
  • SnookerdSnookerd Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    What size boat and speed are you planning to run?
  • Orange&BlueOrange&Blue Posts: 64 Deckhand
    23 proline cc. Single 225. Low to mid 30s if seas are nice. Whatever is comfortable if seas not-so-nice. Saw you're taking your family so you could lead and set the pace at whatever is comfortable for them.
    Orange and Blue- What is your fuel capacity? I am interested in the buddy boat plan.
    160 gal. I've got 300 mile range +/-. But will want to top off in West End after clearing.
    That's a large fuel capacity. Mine is 100 gallon. My range is probably 275 with a full island load. Looks like I will plan to cross with you, clear customs, fuel up, and run all the way to GGC. I am planning on heading out early. What's your thought for time to clear Lake Worth inlet?
    Sounds great. Last year we cleared the inlet at 6:30, had nice seas and pulled up to customs dock at 8:30. The customs office doesn't open until 9 anyway, so I don't know that there's much reason to leave a whole lot earlier than that. That said, I'm easy and if you want to leave earlier than that, that's fine with me, too. If we go in the dark you can lead. :)

Once we get on the bank, with all the crap I'll have on the boat, the most I can probably muster is high 30s, maybe 40 WOT. Sounds like you've got a faster boat. If you want to cruise on ahead you won't be hurting my feelings. I'll send you my contact info in a PM and we can talk on the phone when it's closer to go-time.
    Are you traveling with family as well… Definitely planning on comfort being a priority when it comes to cruising speed.
  • SFDaveSFDave Posts: 85 Deckhand
    That is a huge fuel tank on a 23' cc. I have a 23' cc Hydrasports and it only holds 100 Gallons. I though about getting a couple 20 gallon bladders for long trips.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Snookerd, my cousin is going with me. Our wives and children are flying over. My wife and 3 teenage daughters love to be on the boat.... as long as its not offshore.

SFDave, I have read different info/literature about my boat's fuel capacity...most said 160 but I've read other info that said 140. The boat is called a 23 and the sticker says 23, but its length is actually 25'6. I understand that quite a few manufacturers we're doing that to qualify their boats for the SKA's 23' and under category. I'm a worrywort about running out of gas so the most I've ever had to put in at one time to fill it was 100 gal so I know it at least holds that much :).
    On longer trips like Abaco, it's always nice to be able to carry more fuel. I live on the same side of the state as Snookerd and my wife and I do the annual trip across. Feel like I have seem Bimini enough times and looking forward to Abaco next summer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bimini is great. But I think you'll REALLY like the Abacos. There's a msg board for the Abacos that's pretty informative and will wet your appetite... Abacoforum.com
    Yea, I checked it out, also Dr. Ralph's web site. I've already got the Steve Dodge'c Cruising Guide to Abaco as well. I have a lot of down time at work when I travel, so my research usually starts well in advance before I go anywhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Snookerd, my cousin is going with me. Our wives and children are flying over. My wife and 3 teenage daughters love to be on the boat.... as long as its not offshore.......

There's a msg board for the Abacos that's pretty informative and will wet your appetite... Abacoforum.com

Orange&Blue-Cool. Probably what my wife will do next time. First time crossing for her and the kids. One bad one is all it takes....The kids will eat it up! 3 teenage kids (boys-19 and 15 and my daughter is 13). Bonine for the crew, lol! When do you plan to head back?

SFDave-My cousin from Colorado is 2Hup on the Abaco forum. He keeps a boat over there and does 2-3 trips a year there. Great info..
    Yeah, you for sure want the first trip to go off without a hitch (particularly so for your wife and daughter). I ruined any desire for offshore fishing that my wife and girls (now 17, 15 & 13) might have ever had by taking them out too far on their first trip in seas that, in their mind, we're too rough (a choppy 1-2). I didn't get a second chance.

We're leaving Hope Town on Sat the 24th, going to stay overnight in West End, and cross back Sunday morning. I might fish West End Sunday and cross Monday. Last year we crossed back on Monday and it was a desert for other boats...a little disconcerting (it was also 4 to 5 so that might have had something to do with it, too). So I'm still kind of up in the air on the return. When do you return?
    First trip my wife and I did to Bimini almost ruined it for her. Two days before we returned, our power trim went out, so there was no adjusting the motor for comfort. The forecast was for 2 to 2.5' seas with a 12 knot wind. Ended up 4 to 6' seas with the occasional 8 footer. I've never seen my wife so scared. Once we cleared Port Everglades and got the boat on the trailer, my wife informed me that she would never do that again. She is no stranger to being caught in a afternoon Florida storm, but looking up from the boat to see the top of the wave was a bit much for her. She is a trooper, still crosses.

Snookered Which ramp do you use in Bradenton? When I launch from there, I usually use Green Ramp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dang SFDave-I've been through a tropical storm as a kid (early 70's)-left West End hit crazy weather and waves and then turned around and flew home. Mom stopped sailing from all the mishaps....Raced with the PB sailing club to WE and back a few times. Good times.

I use the Green Bridge/Palmetto ramp as well. Great facility now that it has been updated. If I ever get going on the scuba certification, I probably with be up in your area more often. I have a friend who is in the dive club in St. Pete. I've got to get that done.
    We're leaving Hope Town on Sat the 24th, going to stay overnight in West End, and cross back Sunday morning. I might fish West End Sunday and cross Monday. Last year we crossed back on Monday and it was a desert for other boats...a little disconcerting (it was also 4 to 5 so that might have had something to do with it, too). So I'm still kind of up in the air on the return. When do you return?

It looks like we are on the same exit schedule. We leave GGC on 6/24. Was thinking to spend Sat night in West End. Are you booked there yet? OBB, Bootle Bay, or BMC?
    Lol, you are correct, Green Bridge, not Green Ramp. Must still have Ft. Bragg, NC on the brain. And yes, it is a very nice ramp now. Only thing I don't like is that the overflow parking across the street does not allow over night parking and there is limited spots in the parking lot. Occasionally, I like to go out over night to snapper fish when the moon is full.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Updated Post trip: Got the 1st Abacos trip with my 23 SeaCraft checked off the list! Had a great crossing back Sunday with Orange&Blue! 2.5 hrs crossing Sunday. Solid 10 days in the Abacos. Weather worked for us. We just worked around the wind last week with the 15-20mph. Did more island hopping than fishing and diving. 2 23ft boats with singles. We did separate trips, but both of our dates lined up exactly the same. Grand Cay worked well for us with a slower family(5 people-19yr old, 15 yr old, 14yr old, and my wife) crossing to WE and then spent the night there on the way back. My SeaCraft handled it well...spray curtains would have helped a lot! 25-30mph on the way back. Family like running 22-23 mph though in the chop (my cuddy helm is much more forward, so riding in a center console would definitely be a smother run). Going back again for sure. Go times.