Prop help on 2020

Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
I just picked up a 2002 2020 and a VMAX 200 HPDI. I am only seeing 49 mph out of the Stiletto 14x19 that's on it. I don't remember the rpm's at that speed. I will try to get out today to check that. Any recommendations?
FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
http://www.vrbo.com/105186

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,805 Captain
    Don't know but I'm following this thread. I've heard a tempest plus works well for this boat... especially if you have a jack plate.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
    The gear ratio on your HDPI is 1.86. I would have figured a 19" prop would be too short... but what do I know.
    I went out last night and did a couple runs... trying to mess with the jack plate and trim. All I could see on mine was about 43 and I was hanging around 5300 rpms or so. That's with a 21" Laser II prop and my gear case is a 1.75 ratio. I still feel like something is dragging or maybe the throttle cable isn't adjusted correctly... I'm going to dig in it today. I have a 29% prop slip at those numbers which is really high. It would be nice to be around the 15% number.

Question for you... does your 2020 have the qui-dry hull? Mine is a 2000 and doesn't have it.
  • mlangemlange Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    A Merc vensura 4 blade worked pretty good on my 3 liter 21p and a 21' boat
    I messed around with it some today and I was able to coax 54 mph at 5800 rpms for a slip of 18%.
    This is with the 21p Laser II 3 blade stainless.

I'm going to try a 24p Tempest plus in a few days and see how that goes. If I can get it above 5200 rpms I'll probably stick with it. I'm really hoping to see 60 mph but I don't think it's in the cards unless I step up to a 250.
    Forgot to mention I have a Optimax 200.
  • dholleydholley Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    Take a look at a 21 Tempest for the HPDI. You really need to get the RPMS up near 5700-5900 on the HPDI.
    I had a 200 VMAX HPDI on my 1890 and could spin a 23 to 5900 RPMS. Top speed light was 60.5 mph. Typical fishing loads I was between 56-57 mph.
    New 200 VMAX SHO has touched 63 twice with the same prop. Fishing loads are around 60 mph.

I've been through some props and my favorites are the Tempest and Yamaha T-1. Tempest is a touch faster on my rig so far. The easiest to drive and best handling has been a 23 Turbo TXP OT4-just a hair slower but tons of grip and never blows out.

Also, these boats are very sensitive to weight forward of the console. I lose about 1.5-2.0 mph when I have my 70 quart (100 pound loaded) Pelican cooler on the bow.
    Got 56 mph tonight on the Tempest plus 24 pitch at 5200 rpms. Holeshot was sick with the vents open. I only took one run for about 30 seconds so I didn't have time to mess with the trim/jack plate... but I think I should be able to get pretty close to 60 when I do. I'm good with that.
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Got 56 mph tonight on the Tempest plus 24 pitch at 5200 rpms. Holeshot was sick with the vents open. I only took one run for about 30 seconds so I didn't have time to mess with the trim/jack plate... but I think I should be able to get pretty close to 60 when I do. I'm good with that.

If I were you, I would look for a 21 pitch tempest. You really want to get those RPMs up toward the top end of the range. I would shoot for 5700 lightly loaded. You won't loose any speed as the RPMs will go up. While trying the 24 was a good test and shows better efficiency (17% slip), it's not good to lug the motor with a bigger wheel than it can turn. You could have the 24 repitched down to a 23, but you'll probably only pick up 150-200 rpms.

If you are able to get more RPMs with the 24 by playing with the jackplate and trim while simultaneously keeping the prop hooked up, you might be able to swing a 23 tempest.
  • Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    Yes it is the qui dry design. And I do have a lot of weight forward including the trolling motor and 2 27 batteries and a cooler.

Ok so I ran everything from a rev4 21 to a tempest plus 21 to the cupped stilleto 19 I have on it. The tempest ran really good and I got 52 at 5500 trimmed and jacked. It was really windy and the rise was ripping. It felt good. The rev4 4 ran good also but was a very heavy prop and the motor didn't feel happy going into gear. I havent gotten over 53 mph out of it but I also have 4 batteries and a cooler on the boat. The tempest REALLY lifted the bow and felt good at all rpms.

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
    Yes it is the qui dry design. And I do have a lot of weight forward including the trolling motor and 2 27 batteries and a cooler.

Ok so I ran everything from a rev4 21 to a tempest plus 21 to the cupped stilleto 19 I have on it. The tempest ran really good and I got 52 at 5500 trimmed and jacked. It was really windy and the rise was ripping. It felt good. The rev4 4 ran good also but was a very heavy prop and the motor didn't feel happy going into gear. I havent gotten over 53 mph out of it but I also have 4 batteries and a cooler on the boat. The tempest REALLY lifted the bow and felt good at all rpms.

Those are good numbers - 12% slip. You might consider sending it to a prop shop and see if they can massage it to bring the RPMs up a little bit. Mine always ran best around 58-5900. I would highly recommend Rich Junker at Leading Edge Propellers in Ellenton.
  • Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    You ran your hpdi at 5900? I thought too rpm recommendation from yamaha was 5500?

You ran your hpdi at 5900? I thought too rpm recommendation from yamaha was 5500?

Rev limiter is 6200 on the motor. You will do more damage on a two stroke lugging the motor than you ever will revving it near the limiter. I would prop it to hit near 6000 light and 5700-5800 with a typical fishing load. I've been through a ton of props on that motor on my 1890, and best performance was always nearer the 5800 range.

For example, my 23 tempest would turn 5900 light in the winter time - top speed was 60.5 mph.
    Tried a 24 tempest and could only get 58.0 at 5600 RPMs.

The manufacturer has a rev limiter for a reason. Sometimes a lower pitch will net better results if you can turn it at the point where the motor makes more power. I don't have a torque/hp chart for the HPDI, but I suspect peak horsepower is above 5500.

If you care to do some reading, the Bass Boat Central forum has several guys who are very performance driven and run these motors very hard and most will tell you the same thing.