Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Slow day @ The Pass......

Launched Sunday @ 6:55 with a water temp @ 77.2 and much turbidity. Wanted to go to the beach for some early topwater action.......East wind at 4mph, sunrise, all good.....Until we got there and faced 2-foot rollers from the west crashing the beach. Could not get close enough to the trough for anything. Topwaters-zip. Jerkbaits-zip. Partner did manage 2 ladyfish on a Spro bucktail.
Boat ride to the SE corner of Cape Romano. Nothing on top, jerkbaits, jigs, etc. Into the Morgan River and did manage a 16-1/2 trout on a Yo-Zuri. And a few jacks and ladyfish. Kept one ladyfish for chunking.
Back to the Cape and set-up a chuck ladyfish under a tree. Throwing a jerkbait, noticed my line moving with the chunk. Put the jerkbait rod down and now the set line rod loads big time! I pick it up, set the hook and line screams out. 30 yards later, large snook comes 1/2-way out of the water. Estimate 36-40". Fish comes to the boat, turns and screams 10 yards. Line goes limp.......:huh. Oh well, just wanted a picture......
To the north for trout. Lots of 14-inchers on shrimp and a few on Yo-Zuri's.
Out to a rock wall for maybe some late morning snook. Partner hooks a couple 24-inch ladyfish and I get a jack. She throws her white Spro jig and hooks a decent (24") snook. 2 jumps and it's next to the boat. With a dolphin following it! Dolphin grabs the snook and proceeds to run away and then back the boat. Under the lower unit and beyond. Line breaks and dolphin has brunch at partners expense.
Oh well. Did catch a few mackerel and short mango's.
Like the title says, slow day.
Water had bad color from the earlier in the week front/wind.
With this weeks forecast of wind out of the north @ 20+ Thurs-Fri, I'm gonna give the piscatorial creatures a break this weekend and next.
April 22 or 23, hope to be back for what should be full transition time! Cooler fish moving out, warmer fish moving in. Blessed to fish the 10K area!
Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,222 Officer
    As slow as my fishing has been lately I would call that a good day. Good report as usual.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,281 Captain
    Here's a tip for that chunk rig... Use heavier leader than you think you need... we routinely use 80lb leader with only an Eagle Claw #85
    5/0 hook and it really pays off when a big girl shows up.... This big girl was caught and carefully released by local angler Tyler Bravo, age 12, on Saturday out of Chokoloskee... without that 80lb leader if never would have happened... The line was only 15lb mono.
    [img][/img][img][/img]BravoJasonTyler%20biig%20snook%20003_zpstdg13ehw.jpg
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Caxambas KidCaxambas Kid Posts: 211 Deckhand
    Bob,

Thanks for the tip!
    on my fish, the line/leader did not break. The big girl came unbuttoned. Naughty words!!!
    Line was 30lb PowerPro and a 30lb mono leader and 5/0 Gamagatsu circle hook.
    My biggest snook, 5 over 40' have all been caught on arti's.
    I was chunking in a place better known (to me...) for redfish.
    I like your idea of the 5/0 hook. I do carry 80-pound leader.
    Might change the tactics.
    again, thanks for the hint!
    Hope to see you out there one day.
    Polar 1900 Yamaha 115
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,550 Captain
    Good report as usual....I fished out of Calusa Sunday and headed south around Gullivans Key.....Had a pretty good day, several bonnet heads, snook, sheephead, and snapper.....Have no idea where my trout went...Both places i have been limiting out on Trout is a wasteland??? Not even a catfish there :huh
    Jason :USA