PC 4/1/17 - Only one Bite

Headed out before light with intention of having lines in water at day break. Get to 140 color change and don't see weeds or flyers so we head on out deeper. Seas were nice and flatter than expected the run out was fairly quick. About 220 we see some signs of life (trout sized flier) and drop the spread heading east. About 230 we have a strong take down and long run ensues. Jay the newest crew member (and great fisherman) man handles this poor fella to the boat in no time, in order to keep is identity concealed I begged him to let yours truly get a photo with dinner. He razes the crew for the gaff shot to the meat section but the fish cleanly in the boat with hours to fish! We double back and work the bumpy cones water with no more takers 240-260. Hoo caught on skirted ballyhoo.

Pickup and went deeper about 290-300 we find a nice weed line forming small boat size mats but no fish on it, we work it north and south nothing and confirmed with a few other boats in the area. Begin working our way west and stop to put the final spread in the 140 color change and small rip but nothing same radio story, slow day. We head in a bit early feeling blessed with enough meet for all to have a few good meals, concluding the fins ain't here in mass yet! Tight Lines!

Replies

  • WavewalkerWavewalker Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report. Everyone is saying it slow. I am glad you got one good fish.
  • LivinTheDreamPCLivinTheDreamPC Posts: 221 Deckhand
    thx for the report. pretty fish!!!! tasty, i rather have that over phins any day!!! tight work.
  • LONGSHOT25LONGSHOT25 Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report, always good to here what's going on. It was slow out of Sebastion also.
  • krash645krash645 Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report. Nice Hoo!
  • BmanBman Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    We were on that deeper weedline- boated 6 keeper Mahi and 2 sails- the Mahi were all smaller- also boated a handful of undersized and had more than a couple keepers self released. We were on the radio throughout the day- we heard boats giving up on that line and tried to let them know that we were getting bites.20170401_140800.jpg
    both sails were caught on spinning reels on live pogies- the Mahi were caught on pink skirts, chin weighted hoos, pink rattle jet, and pitched live baits.
  • kingralphkingralph Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    We also ran into the rip.. but went past as the weed line was all over the place (1030) on our way back it was much better developed and we boated a bunch of smaller mahi (130pm). Dark purple rattle jets and pink hood. What I didn't see were the sails! Nice catch!

    What radio channel are you guys on?
  • BmanBman Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    I'm on 68.
  • GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    nice catch boys!
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,332 Officer
    Bman wrote: »
    We were on that deeper weedline- boated 6 keeper Mahi and 2 sails- the Mahi were all smaller- also boated a handful of undersized and had more than a couple keepers self released. We were on the radio throughout the day- we heard boats giving up on that line and tried to let them know that we were getting bites.20170401_140800.jpg
    both sails were caught on spinning reels on live pogies- the Mahi were caught on pink skirts, chin weighted hoos, pink rattle jet, and pitched live baits.

    Quite literally boated the sail!
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • BmanBman Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    We boated one for a quick pic and released unharmed- the other we released at the rail.
  • tryacctryacc Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Trouser - we may have heard you on one of those calls, we chatted someone up who said something about 4 fins at that time but apparently we did not have the right colors out. We were also on 68 we made a few calls out for updates.
  • Captain AJCaptain AJ Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Love the reports, I don't get offshore very often anymore and live vicariously through you guys :) Thank you.
    “Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.”
    — Henry David Thoreau
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,386 Moderator
    Nice Hoo!

    Last week was very tough fishing for the most part.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

    Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Got these east of Port on Sunday at the 140 Rip and near 8a North :grin:grin:grin:grin:grin
  • timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    :hail:hail:hail:hail:hail:hail:hail


    tryacc wrote: »
    Headed out before light with intention of having lines in water at day break. Get to 140 color change and don't see weeds or flyers so we head on out deeper. Seas were nice and flatter than expected the run out was fairly quick. About 220 we see some signs of life (trout sized flier) and drop the spread heading east. About 230 we have a strong take down and long run ensues. Jay the newest crew member (and great fisherman) man handles this poor fella to the boat in no time, in order to keep is identity concealed I begged him to let yours truly get a photo with dinner. He razes the crew for the gaff shot to the meat section but the fish cleanly in the boat with hours to fish! We double back and work the bumpy cones water with no more takers 240-260. Hoo caught on skirted ballyhoo.

    Pickup and went deeper about 290-300 we find a nice weed line forming small boat size mats but no fish on it, we work it north and south nothing and confirmed with a few other boats in the area. Begin working our way west and stop to put the final spread in the 140 color change and small rip but nothing same radio story, slow day. We head in a bit early feeling blessed with enough meet for all to have a few good meals, concluding the fins ain't here in mass yet! Tight Lines!
  • tryacctryacc Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Nice work on the black fin TIMFM that's good eats! Tell us the magic on those guys? Nice mixed bag!

    Fletch - thanks for the confirmation nice to hear what people in the know have to say. I had not heard of any stellar reports before going but was over due on the first trip of the year!
  • timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    The magic is to pray to the fish god every night that she will release her bounty. LOL. I take luck over skill any day. But we was dragging skirt ballyhoo. One rig had a weight to bring the ballyhoo deep. and we had a bird way way back with a ballyhoo behind it. Then pray pray and pray
    tryacc wrote: »
    Nice work on the black fin TIMFM that's good eats! Tell us the magic on those guys? Nice mixed bag!

    Fletch - thanks for the confirmation nice to hear what people in the know have to say. I had not heard of any stellar reports before going but was over due on the first trip of the year!
Sign In or Register to comment.