4/1 YT Reds, Trout, and Snook

Now that I've finally gotten around to making my first post, I figured I'd start posting some reports. I've been crazy busy with the club and the tournament, so haven't had much time to get out and fish lately. Yesterday my membership VP and I drove out to YT to drop off some flyers and advertise Saturday's tournament. We stopped by Captain's Cove (a sponsor for our club), where Jim had some awesome rods waiting for to be used as prizes. We figured we'd pick up some shrimp while we were there and do a little scouting for the tournament.

We hit the water with about an hour of the outgoing left. We started by working a good current rip between two oyster bars and picked up several decent trout 16-18" with shrimp under popping corks. When the tide started to come in, we moved to a spoil island and worked some rocky bottom, where we picked up a few solid reds 26-29" using gold spoons and live blue crabs. We moved to one last island for the top half of the incoming, which produced a particularly unusual catch for us. The bite was fairly slow for the first 30 minutes, but then I spotted a big school of finger mullet that looked particularly nervous. We had netted some finger mullet before launching, so I threw one on a 4/0 circle hook and tossed it on the edge of the school. After about a minute, I could feel the mullet vibrating uncontrollably. I waited a few seconds and sure enough the thing got smacked. As soon as the line came tight, a beautiful overlot snook broke the surface. It took me all around the island, periodically breaking the surface with some intense head shakes. After about 10 minutes, it was tired enough to where I could ease it over the oysters for landing. It measured just over 35", and after a brief photo op, I had her on her way. I've been fishing YT for 5 years now and that was my first overslot snook. Needless to say I was pretty stoked.

Of course I probably won't do that well come tournament day, but I have to say the bite seems pretty awesome right now. It looks like there's a nasty front blowing through at the end of next week, but conditions should be nice over the weekend. The skies should be clear and the wind should be dying down, but I'm wondering how the drop in temperature will effect the fish for the tournament.

Tight lines and hope to see ya'll Saturday.

DJ

Replies