Home General Fishing

Pompano jig

knotsknots Posts: 46 Deckhand
New to Florida fishing. Trying to find out which type of jig to use . I tried fishing in sebastian inlet. I did catch one on a 1/4 oz goofy jig 2 weeks ago. But seen other guy`s there getting alot more. I think i should get some heavier jigs to but iam not sure what the best style and brand :huh. Any help would be appreciated before i go out and buy a batch of them Thank you

Replies

• 12bhunting12bhunting Posts: 291 Deckhand
    You should have asked the guys that were catching them what they were using. You will always run into an *******, but most guys will gladly give you pointers and steer you in the right direction. I like sand fleas myself.
  • Smokin_ReelzSmokin_Reelz Posts: 289 Officer
    knots wrote: »
    New to Florida fishing. Trying to find out which type of jig to use . I tried fishing in sebastian inlet. I did catch one on a 1/4 oz goofy jig 2 weeks ago. But seen other guy`s there getting alot more. I think i should get some heavier jigs to but iam not sure what the best style and brand :huh. Any help would be appreciated before i go out and buy a batch of them Thank you

Pompano jig (egg head style), message me I make them
    Fishing Line
    WWW.BULLBUSTER.NET
    Discount code
    "A"
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    12bhunting wrote: »
    You should have asked the guys that were catching them what they were using. You will always run into an *******, but most guys will gladly give you pointers and steer you in the right direction. I like sand fleas myself.

Indeed...you should have asked.
    That said, are you sure they were not wailing the jacks?.....

As far as "goofy jigs"...there are cheap knock offs at Wal Mart... make sure you have several different colors since the hot color changes. Also, the retrieve is important...pay attention to that more than anything.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Two words: variety.

Doc's Goofy jigs are great, but he keeps his distribution very low to stay loyal to the tackle shops that gave him his chance to sell them. While that loyalty is very admirable, it leaves everyone out in the cold if they don't live near one of those shops. But like Duckman said, you can find identical imitations online and at other tackle retailers. One is made by Buccaneer Wiggler jigs if you want to Google it. Some ****'s sporting goods carry them. T&A jigs makes a knockoff too, with an assortment of teasers, which some folks swear by.

Another good option is the bullet-head jigs with nylon skirts. Bagley and Wahoo make them. Shad darts work well, too, as do curly-tail grubs in white, yellow, pink and chartreuse.

Thing to remember about pomps is that they are jacks, so they will eat anything they can get in their mouths...but they prefer sand fleas and small crabs and bits of clam, etc, because they fit easily in their mouths. But ive seem them caught on small spinners and even little rattle traps.

So the name of the game is to have a variety and try different ones until you find what they like best that day. And especially have an assortment of colors, as Duckman suggests.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    The best ones I have used are like a hook with lead molded around it and a little furry thing on the top also with a hook, pink is the best color, with a white or flashy colored furry thing
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • knotsknots Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Thanks for the help,, there was alot of jacks there,but i did see a guy putting a few poms in the cooler Duckman. I got 2 this weekend off the beach in my boat ,,both of them took a teaser. I made more of them today.