Gun Question

chucks_placechucks_place Posts: 113 Officer
I am in the process of getting ready to make a trip to N.D. for my grandsons graduation from H.S. He is and loves to hunt. His dad bought him a shot gun for his birthday a couple of years and he has gone deer hunting with me and his dad. Now he will be on his own with his buddies but he does not have a gun to hunt with. I am wondering what if any ramifications I would run into by GIVING him one of my rifles for him to keep the rest of his life and hopefully cherish because GRANDPA gave it to him. I was thinking I would have to, or want to make out a paper naming him as the recipient and me as the giver and freely giving it to him as a present for his graduation.

I really only want advise from people that know the laws, not a lot of speculators on what could be or not. Thank you
:USA

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,319 Officer
    I'm a former Federal Firearms Licensee and still reasonably familiar with the laws. Under section 922 (5) (A) you may bequest a firearm to any person in a state other than your state of residence if that person is legally able to own firearms in that state. Unless your grandson is a convicted felon you are good to go! However, check ND state law as far as transfer to a minor is concerned. I've given my sons and grandson numerous firearms, including handguns, and have never run afoul of any FL laws or Federal statutes but they reside in FL. Although many of the naysayers on this forum will try to convince you otherwise, the Federal Gun Control Act is not there to punish law abiding citizens, only to keep guns out of the hands of those not trustworthy enough to possess them. It can be a PIA to comply with the paperwork sometimes but the law doesn't preclude a law abiding citizen from lawful activity with firearms. BTW, if you ship the gun to him it must go through a FFL for transfer, but you may legally transport the gun to ND and gift it to him.
  • LMKLMK Posts: 577 Officer
    I really only want advise from people that know the laws, not a lot of speculators on what could be or not. Thank you

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?241561-Gun-Question#ixzz4criaXFOY

So I will not wade in on the legality just the reality. I have such a weapon and I cherish it as the most prized piece I own. A funny thing about this is that it always called me to a higher standard as a young man; it was like it called me to honor the rules of safety and responsibility. It calls me still to honor the right things. Actually all weapons do but that one is beyond precious. Congratulations on your family! Not what you asked but kind of hit a cord in me.
    All the best,
    Lee
  • chucks_placechucks_place Posts: 113 Officer
    Should I make out any kind of a GIFT OF SALE of any kind or just hand it to him and say enjoy. Thanks for the info.
    I agree with you 100%. I bought this back in 1981 and have had good success with it. But I know my grandson will do the same as me. Thank you for your reply.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,269 AG
    My parents gave or bought for me (my earned money) several guns when I was growing up, when I moved out at 17 i took them with me, never saw or felt the need for any kind of paperwork.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,319 Officer
    Unless it's a stolen gun, which may or may not appear on an NCIC check, you don't need any paperwork to give a gift to your grandson. If you want to be 100% safe, make out a simple "Bill of Sale" or Gift statement. I've never done that for my 3 sons or my grandson but I don't ever buy from private sellers unless a used gun that I like shows up in a local gunshop on consignment.
    I bought this gun from a legal store that sold guns legally back in 81, so I am pretty sure it is not stolen. Thanks for all the help. As for personal peace of mind I just might make a "GIFT OF SALE" from me to him and just in case he was ever to run into a situation he would be covered.
  • JohnHJohnH Posts: 105 Officer
    Here's a decent place to start your research.
    http://gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/north-dakota-gun-laws
    I'm pretty familiar with Florida firearms statutes but this site will start the search for ND and you can also review FL laws.
    To do it really the right way search the actual statutes for each state involved.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,432 Officer

Don't fret over it...........you won't get any advise here that isn't at least worth what you are paying for it.:wink

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.