Home Tropics

5/28 - 6/2 - Looking for Buddy Boat for West End Crossing

dpg7386dpg7386 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
Hey All,
We are planning a crossing to West End (Bootle Bay) on 5/28 and returning on 6/2. We will leave either West Palm or Jupiter area since we are towing the boat over from the west coast on 5/27. Would like to make arrangements to cross with another boat if possible. Will be running a 26ft Boston Whaler Outrage that will cruise around 30kts. Hit me up if anyone is going during this week.
Team Reprieve

Replies

• Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 308 Deckhand
    My wife and I are planning the same trip depending on weather, we will be in a Cape Horn 19. Yes its small and the weather will be have to be good, but we can cruise around 30. Still working on the details like parking and where we want to leave from. We live in Fort Pierce, so its not much of a drive down to West Palm.

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• dzankdzank Posts: 250 Deckhand
    I would check with Vida at Bootle Bay as he may be able to give you guys contact info on others planning to cross around the same time. I would use Lake Park Marina to store the trailer and tow vehicle. Pray for good weather and enjoy what will be a lot of fun!
    dzank wrote: »
    I would check with Vida at Bootle Bay as he may be able to give you guys contact info on others planning to cross around the same time. I would use Lake Park Marina to store the trailer and tow vehicle. Pray for good weather and enjoy what will be a lot of fun!

Thanks dzank,
    We looked at Bootle Bay a while back and the wife likes it. As the time gets closer and the weather patterns shake out I will call and make a reservation, but not until I get a good look at a long range forecast... I don't mind running 30 in 2s but 3-4 for 2 hours would be a deal breaker...

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

Reel Mussel, it always makes sense to be careful with the Gulf Stream. We've made something like 125 crossings going back to 1982 and there were more than a few than I choose to forget. Good luck and feel free to PM with any questions.
  • skydudeskydude Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Id be interested in joining... I live in PSL and I made the run to Bimini last year.. been thinking about maybe doing West End this year.. but conditions have to be good.. I have an 18ft Boston Whaler and 25 kts its a comfy speed.. let me know.
    Thanks again dzank, as it gets closer and the weather forecast is favorable I will give Vida a call.

Skydude, sounds good, the wife and I would enjoy the company. We have a lot of big water experience, just none dealing with customs and such. I will be home and on the water for Easter weekend, maybe give you a shout in local waters. The wife and I primarily bottom fish on public numbers like the Amazon, but have went down to PSL a few times.

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• Beer moneyBeer money Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    We may be crossing that day also out of Palm Beach in a 30 Contender. Depending on weather cruise will be around 40kts
    Beer Money,
    Hope to see good weather, and if you spot me a few minutes we may be able to arrive 1/2 hour or so behind you... lol. We usually can cruise best millage from 28 to 32 depending on seas.

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

Well just made reservations and everything was booked for Bootle Bay for the weekend so the wife and I will be going Wed 31st and coming back Fri 2nd... Hope to see you there..

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• dpg7386dpg7386 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Looks like we will be leaving Palm Beach Inlet around 8:00am. If anyone else is going over on Sunday 5/28 then send me a PM, and we can hook up to make crossing together.
  • rockorocko Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    dpg7386 wrote: »
    Hey All,
    We are planning a crossing to West End (Bootle Bay) on 5/28 and returning on 6/2. We will leave either West Palm or Jupiter area since we are towing the boat over from the west coast on 5/27. Would like to make arrangements to cross with another boat if possible. Will be running a 26ft Boston Whaler Outrage that will cruise around 30kts. Hit me up if anyone is going during this week.
    Team Reprieve

I am planning to do the same but at the end of June but I am having a problem finding a park with a ramp where I can leave my truck and trailer. Do you know of a decent/safe place. I am towing my Grady White Sailfish from Miami.
    Thanks in advance!
    Ralph
    Lake Park Marina is my vote for ease and safety.
    dzank,
    We didn't get to make the trip, the weather going was good enough but the weather for the return on Friday was a mess... Hope to try it again over the 4th of July.

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

Good luck and stay safe.
    Always be safe, stay on the conservative side and plan ahead. Thanks for all the info and help, hope to make it over soon... meanwhile over here in Oregon I am going to show these guys how to do Halibut East coast style, with a spinning reel!

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• skydudeskydude Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Im heading out of PB to West End and continue on to Green Turttle cay on wed 14th
    18ft Boston Whaler